View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Showmanship in Place of Effects
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 am 
Penguin

Hello all, it's me again posting about the things I've been observing thus far.

I spend a fair amount of time in the Mentalism section giving advice or simply relating to others on various subjects. One thing I've noticed is the Large amount of talk about Derren Brown's magical escapades. A large denomination seem to think he is the pinnacle of mental effects. The subject usually sounds something like "What tricks can I do that are like what Derren Brown does?". I am having a hard time understanding why he is so great. Actually, let me correct that statement: I have a hard time understanding how people do not understand that it is not the effect that makes him great, it is his showmanship. For example, If we all can remember when Criss Angel was on Oprah performing a prediction effect in which he has a locked box suspended above the stage. when the information is divulged, the box is opened revealing a matching prediction. Derren Brown used the exact same effect in his live show "An Evening of Wonders". The major difference is that he predicted the entirety of his show from beginning to end on one long sheet of paper. This is the exact issue I am talking about.

I believe the action that should be taken when discussing Derren Brown or anyone of note should not be what effect they do, but how it is presented. What does everyone else think?

Post subject: Re: Showmanship in Place of Effects
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:28 am 
Penguin

I fully agree that it's the showmanship that makes him great. He Also makes people believe that anyone could do it if they would train the 'skills' that he has, suggesting the skills he uses are mainly psychological.
Last week I was talking to a british girl who likes Derren "because he's not really just a magician, it's that i love how he's mastered these human skills we should all learn". His showmanship makes people believe that certain psychologic skills are possible and he has perfected them.

But yes, it's because of his showmanship :)