View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another Columbo Mentalism Feat...
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:19 pm 
Penguin

There were several Columbo episodes devoted to magic or mentalism. Here's another great feat of mentalism.

Here's the basic effect: Magician brings out a big sealed envelope. Inside are a map and some photos.
This spectator is in his car driving around, but in touch with the mqgician and his spectator (both are on stage during a show).

On stage with the spectator, magician gives him a city map and a large Sharpie marker. This map is opened and layed out on a table and a large cardboard box is placed over it. Spectator is invited to place his arm under the box and while not looking, place a large dot on the map with the marker. He does so.

The box is lifted and the dot is found. It's at an intersection.

The spectator in the car is asked to drive to this location and open the envelope. He does, and the pictures match the buildings at the intersection. The map and any other information in the envelope also match.

A great feat of mentalism.

The secret is simple. The marker doesn't work. Dip the tip in epoxy so no ink comes out.

On the map the intersection is marked beforehand and the map is handled carefully hiding the mark on the map.

The spectator thinks he has freely marked the intersection. All the information in the envelope, the pictures, etc. is taken beforehand.

This is basically a force.

The exact details might be a little off, but you understand the trick.

MY MODIFICATION to this trick. I use a UV Marker so you don't have to worry about the dot on the map being discovered early. When it's time to find the dot on the map I use a Black Light. The UV mark on the map matches everything.

Post subject: Re: Another Columbo Mentalism Feat...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:39 pm 
Penguin

I love this episode too....it was one of the newer ones that aired from 1989 until the early 2000's. Watching this one I couldn't help but think it was inspired by the adversarial relationship between skeptic/magician James "The Amazing" Randi and spoon bender Uri Geller.