View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hypnotist's Pendulum
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:38 pm 
Penguin

As a child, anytime a Hypnotist or Hypnosis was brought up (on those silly cartoons I watched), the Hypnotist ALWAYS had a pendulum.

After a bit of research, it seems like using a pendulum as a prop could very well work, even if it is an unneeded asset.

Out of curiousity, I'm just wondering if pendulums were ever a big thing with Hypnotists, or if it was a stereotype brought up by laymen (like all card magicians can cheat at poker).

And just for fun; Have you ever hypnotized somebody by use of a taboo prop/method? Fruit? Water bottle? Juggling?

Post subject: Re: Hypnotist's Pendulum
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:55 pm 
Penguin

If you want to look like a cartoon character then by all means use a pendulum.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:42 pm 
Penguin

Maybe on Halloween, sounds like a fun idea for the occasion.

I was just wondering if there was a reason as to why this stereotype used to exist.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:45 pm 
Penguin

Because the movies used to be silent. It was a way for Hollywood to convey action. There are many myths created by Hollywood that have stuck (unfairly) to hypnosis.

1- The swinging watch
2- Only stupid people can be hypnotized
3- People will tell you all their deepest secrets
4- Amnesia
5- Mind Control
6- Doing the evil bidding of the hypnotist
7- You have a week will if you are hypnotized
8- People obey all commands
9- Your asleep or unconscience during hypnosis
The list goes on and on....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:52 pm 
Penguin

To my understanding;

Numbers 3 and 4 are actually possible, to some extent. Then again, I'm not very experienced.

I know there's amnesia methods, but most people remember what happened whilst hypnotized if the suggestion wasn't given.

I'm not sure... But I guess Hollywood rarely gives justice to something if it has "potential" for evil.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:30 pm 
Penguin

Well, if you do decide to make one I can tell you where to get a kick a** version: Your nearest hardware store, it's called a plum-bob and is used by plumbers to dead center a pipe. It's steel, brass or sometimes aluminum, it's shiney and shaped exactly like the one you see Svengalli and all the other hypnotists use in the old movies. You'll need to affix a chain to it, they usually come on a long string out of the package. These look very cool laying among a crystal ball and tarot cards. I say be the first to bring this classic back to the stage, just like the old times.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:44 pm 
Penguin

A Plumb-Bob does look interesting... Just the look almost inspires question... And it's a plumbing device, that's just silly to think about...

I think there'd be a good sense of pleasure using a plumber's device to hypnotize people, but the second that somebody knows what it is, that'll be a funny day.

After I get more experienced in hypnosis, I'll probably try a few different things. See what works, what doesn't, what I like and don't. Clean up my system a bit.

Thanks for the sense of humor with the reply, not sure how I feel about the tarot cards though, haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:33 am 
Penguin

Well most people would not know what a plumb-bob was if you hit them in the head with it! The smaller ones are usually 6-8 ounces, which is still pretty big. But it could be a good prop depending on your act.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:51 pm 
Penguin

I'd actually like to learn what acts come with pendulums. I've only heard about it a day or so ago (and then read your post Tukaram), but nobody mentioned a name if an effect that uses a pendulum.

I'm fairly new to the mentalist game, but having an old gypsy type lady introducing me to pendulums at a young age, I always thought they were some strange form of magic because the things could answer my questions...

Is there any direction you can point me to in order to see the power of the pendulum? I've heard stories of Impromtu routines using pendulums, where the mentalist created a pendulum on the spot by using a ring and a shoe string, and got amazing reactions still. That alone has me interested, but what happened during the routine is a mystery to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:58 pm 

cestdesconneries wrote:
A Plumb-Bob does look interesting... Just the look almost inspires question... And it's a plumbing device, that's just silly to think about...

Not quite. It's a carpenter's tool to be sure studs are perfectly vertical, a.k.a "plumb"
The heavy weight on a string gives you a perfectly vertical reference line. Combine that with powdered chalk and you have something like a "snap line" where you let the weight hang until it's still, hold the chalked string tightly, and "snap" it against the wall leaving a line to work from. Snap lines are also used horizontally to help lay out flooring, but doesn't require the plumb bob.

...and now you know...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:01 am 

cestdesconneries wrote:
I'd actually like to learn what acts come with pendulums. I've only heard about it a day or so ago (and then read your post Tukaram), but nobody mentioned a name if an effect that uses a pendulum.

I'm fairly new to the mentalist game, but having an old gypsy type lady introducing me to pendulums at a young age, I always thought they were some strange form of magic because the things could answer my questions...

Is there any direction you can point me to in order to see the power of the pendulum? I've heard stories of Impromtu routines using pendulums, where the mentalist created a pendulum on the spot by using a ring and a shoe string, and got amazing reactions still. That alone has me interested, but what happened during the routine is a mystery to me.

There's a more or less natural phenomena that occurs when someone holds a pendulum. They try to hold it steady, but minute movements (even a heartbeat) will cause it to swing slightly, going from a straight back and forth to a circle and back again. If you time it right, you can use this natural change in pattern as if you were controlling the spectator's actions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:08 am 
Penguin

So the pendulum will naturally follow a pattern of swinging back and forth, into a circle, and then repeats itself?

I think I can see quite a bit of potential in that actually...

Thank you for the breakdown!
TJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:22 pm 
Penguin

Ideometer Response

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:45 pm 
Penguin

Involuntary movements... I'm sure there's a way to control those movements too... Just like suggestibility tests in hypnosis, right? Force it without forcing anything. ( that probably makes a lot more sense in my head )

I think I can find a way to test this and find out just exactly what the limitations are... Man I'm curious in the possibilities

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:56 pm 

edrezin wrote:
Ideometer Response

^^^ What he said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_phenomenon