View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does this joke enhance the presentation or weaken it?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:00 pm 
Penguin

I recently performed the test below for some friends. One of whom was videoing the presentation.

The effect: I ask my friend to think of any word and write it down making sure that I cannot see what he writes or draws. He places his piece of paper into a dinner napkin so it is well hidden. I draw an arcane circle on the table and place the napkin into the circle and start getting a vision. I am then able to tell him what he had written.

At the end of the test I told the camera man "Oh, don't video the circle or people will learn how to do the trick." Obviously this was a joke and misdirection all rolled into one off the cuff statement.

My question is: does that statement referring to what happened as a "trick" to laymen in any way belittle the test? The video is on youtube and, since I hope some day to be taken seriously as a mentalist, I do not want to tarnish my public record.

As any mentalist knows, it's not always what is said that counts. It is also how it is said. So please review the video before advising.

Here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlVE4kmJe3M

Thank you, I value your professional advice.

Mark C.

Post subject: Re: Does this joke enhance the presentation or weaken it?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:00 pm 
Penguin

I can see someone like Gregory Wilson pulling off a line like this but then again he never was a serious mentalist.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:45 pm 
Penguin

It gives you a joking nature, which kinda conflicts the nature given by the strange circle... Thing...

I think it might take away from the effect a little bit, the mention of the word "trick" usually makes "Mind-Reading" less believable, because the spectator ties that word to a hidden-method. It won't make a large change, but if asked about your performance, they could reply "He did some great tricks!", which will have a telephone effect to a certain extent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:55 pm 
born to perform.

It did not seem to detract too much from what you did. Mentalism includes humor a lot more that many realize. Most Stage mentalists include a lot of humor to help break the tension. On TV, with commercial breaks, and the ability to edit the best footage available, some people play it more serious. Remember that most good horror movies also have humor peppered throughout to better manage the tension.

Ultimately it depends on the character you want to cultivate. Just make sure the footage you present on Youtube and other media outlets, is reflective of how you intend to perform at a paid gig.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:37 am 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Remember that most good horror movies also have humor peppered throughout to better manage the tension.

True that, the funny fat kid always goes into the woods alone and is eaten by the monster first!