View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Keith Barry: Brain Magic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:36 pm 
Penguin

If you're an intellectual of any sort you're no doubt a subscriber to TEDTalks. In this episode mentalist Keith Barry demonstrates Brain Magic, Blindfold Driving, Voodoo, etc. Here's the link:

http://www.ted.com/talks/keith_barry_do ... magic.html

Post subject: Re: Keith Barry: Brain Magic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:41 am 
Penguin

Here's another of Keith Barry's shows on Youtube. He's easily the best mentalist I've ever seen and takes the art in an entirely different direction. He understands subliminal influence better than any mentalist or magician I've ever seen. We can only hope he puts out a book or dvd someday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpdw-aihSlg

btw, this show is even better than the first one I posted...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:31 am 
Penguin

I really love Keith Barry but I prefer Banachek and Derren Brown's performance styles to his.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:45 pm 
Penguin

Keith Barry is IMHO the modern face of mentalism. Derren comes close, but Steve is too oldschool for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:23 pm 
Penguin

I know Keith Barry is fooling me with material I'm well educated in, but for the life of me I don't have a clue how he's accomplishing a few of these effects and makes me feel like a total rube. Everytime there's a new kid on the block like this, he's just taking old methods and presenting them with new clothing.

I think I need to pull out my books by Brown, Banacheck, Kenton and god-forbid, Dunninger. But most importantly I need to pull my head out of my a** for having my mind defiled with my total permission.

Has either Genii or Magic magazines done stories on Keith Barry? Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me toward anything about him.

I wonder if, like Allen Funt on the old Candid Camera television show, Mr. Barry keeps a couple of hundred dollar bills in his front pocket in case things get out of hand...like they almost did at that ATM machine. One thing I'm good at spotting from my old days as a bouncer, is someone who is about to get stomped.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:44 am 
Penguin

I think one thing we always forget it is the power of a stooge and the magic of TV editing. I am not trying to take anything away from Keith because those are viable methods, and we all owe a big thank you for keeping mentalism interesting and on TV.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:12 pm 
Penguin

I work with Keith from time to time and he never uses stooges :D

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... keitho.jpg

Thats us recently in Dublin rocking the science gallery :D

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... nicopy.jpg

It was sweet!

Keith has a great mind and is very fast on his feet, he doesn't need stooges.

Much love,

Pete x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:53 pm 
Penguin

I recently sent an e-mail to Richard Osterlind, the man I consider to be the current king of mentalism, along with a link to one of Keith's Deception shows. I don't have permission to reprint his response here, but Mr. Osterlind wasn't impressed. He assured me that Mr. Barry cannot walk up to a total stranger on the street and guess his PIN number out of the blue. This was the effect that really stumped me, and I've given it a lot of thought. Perhaps a criminal method was employed, shoulder surfing or an inside job from an employee at the bank. Or, there may be something that was edited out of the effect. How many times does this happen when we buy a trick based on a dealer demo video then find out after buying the trick that something was edited out of that demo that would have made the method obvious? This happens to me all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:55 pm 
Penguin

It's not how we get there. It's where we arrive. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:12 am 
Penguin

If Keith Berry, or ANY mentalist or psychic for that matter could really come up with someone's PIN number, then why not take it one logical step further and predict the lotto numbers...just once. This is the Achilles Heel of the whole business and proves once and for all there is no such thing as a psychic. Just think of how many lives could have been saved if just one of these psychics could have predicted 9/11.

There may be a bit of a difference between mentalists and someone who hangs out a sign offering their services as a psychic. Mentalists seem to take a more show business approach whereas a psychic takes themselves and their business way too seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:26 am 
Penguin

It is possible to walk up to someone cold and guess their pin (just not easy).

There is a difference between someone guessing a pin code by asking the right questions to a physical being and predicting an event that is yet to happen...

Two different sciences.

One is predicting something that someone knows about and it already exists (in small form). The other is predicting something that is yet to happen and is unpredictable.

There is also a big difference between a psychic and a medium.

I have guessed pin-codes over skype (lot's of times) and I am not psychic...(Or am I ;) )

Pete x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:45 am 
Penguin

swayze wrote:
He assured me that Mr. Barry cannot walk up to a total stranger on the street and guess his PIN number out of the blue. This was the effect that really stumped me, and I've given it a lot of thought. Perhaps a criminal method was employed, shoulder surfing or an inside job from an employee at the bank. Or, there may be something that was edited out of the effect.

Editing makes a world of difference, there is tons of pre-show work that could be done that leaves it open to a myriad of methods. I can think of a couple criminal methods that would be very easy to accomplish on television that would perfectly give the effect talked about. I'll PM you Swayze.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:08 am 
Penguin

You predict me the Powerball numbers just once Pete and I'll help you build a religion around yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:38 pm 
Penguin

Read back what I said Swayze....

I was stating that predicting the lottery (something that has not occurred) and doesn't have a mind as the balls are released by chance and predicting a pin code which is already existent in someone's mind is completely worlds apart....

Predicting the lottery or Power-ball is not impossible as people do it weekly (just guessing) but HIGHLY improbable and something that CANNOT be predicted reliably for a mentalist. I certainly can not do it, balls don't have a brain and they fall at random. I wish I could I would do it everyweek and take you all for ice cream ;)

Getting to a four digit number is VERY EASY to do in the "right circumstances" completely cold. People do have a brain and the number exists, therefore it is fairly easy to get...If you know what you are looking for.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... rum=218&28

Look down to Magicman29's post... I do it cold all the time.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... orum=15&12

Gabelson's post on here also points it out.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 7&start=60

Northernwarriors post here (I actually nailed his live on my penguin lecture)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 15&start=0

Martin Pullman here near the bottom...

You can read his earlier opinions of me they were not savoury. There is many, many pages of me doing this over skype (verbal nothing written) which excludes S*ami and so on.

Eric on here as well will also testify it is possible.

Richard Osterlind is an awesome thinker, performer and a top name in the industry for obvious reasons but just because he doesn't think it is possible doesn't mean it is not...

Just to clarify I am NOT saying this is how Keith does it because it is not...

If you believe you can achieve. I believe most things are possible, its just finding a way to make them happen!

Much love man,

Pete x