View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:51 pm 
born to perform.

i would reccomend(some of the tricks i use arent found on this site, if you would like to know some of the tricks i use email me) the

the watch crystal by erick maurin:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=445

and the brainwave deck:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=78

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:14 pm 
Penguin

One of the most powerful mentalism effects I have been doing has simply been a Ashes on Arm routine that uses an important person's name to the spectator. It's an impromtu routine, similar to that of what David Blaine did in his second special. I find that this slays them big time.

I've also recieved some incredible reactions to Neil Tobin's Xpert applications. Mainly his Out of Body experience. My spectators have flipped at this trick. But Neil is correct when he notes that it's not a particular effect that makes people scream, but how one approaches and acts out the whole production.

If your interested in helping getting your spectators to scream, the best methods I've found is learning some techniques on acting. Learning how to bridge and build routines, as well as developing a character. All this with excellent execution of tricks will help your receive the reactions you may be wanting.

-Brandon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:09 pm 
Penguin

B.I.P is a great trick, works great for small groups and with a small reworking will work in one-on-one situations

Post subject: IC3 and Perfecto
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:42 pm 
Penguin

both are taught on Stealing pips. i cannot recommend it enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:25 am 
Penguin

damegal wrote:
Die ciper 2 is a very good mentalism trick. Just check out the demo video. :P

Die Cipher II? It's the dumbest trick I've seen since Die Cipher I. It's very expensive... uses a weird looking gimmick that makes the person sckeptic right from the start. You make them do all this weird moves... to guess a number from 1 to 6. That's not very impresive! They might not know how the gimmick works... but the'll never believe it was magic.

One of the best tricks of mentalism I've used is the Invisible Deck. 52 choices available... works 100% of the time. It will make them FREAK OUT!!!

For more information check a nice review here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... hp?t=30165

To learn more about it, to watch a video or to order it immediately go here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=165

You even get a Free Instructional Video from Penguin Magic with the deck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:28 am 
Emperor Penguin

MagicalSeducer wrote:
Die Cipher II? It's the dumbest trick I've seen since Die Cipher I. It's very expensive... uses a weird looking gimmick that makes the person sckeptic right from the start. You make them do all this weird moves... to guess a number from 1 to 6. That's not very impresive! They might not know how the gimmick works... but the'll never believe it was magic.

Of course they don't beleive it's magic. It's not magic. It's mentalism. It's your job to remove their skepticism form the start. Perform other mental miracles before this one. This trick isn't going to prove you can read minds, but rather enforce, or re-iterate that idea.

This trick isn't something you'd whip out of your pocket in the middle of a sidewalk. There's a time and place for tricks like this, Die Cipher I, Super Sight, etc.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:15 am 
Penguin

wayno wrote:
MagicalSeducer wrote:

Of course they don't beleive it's magic. It's not magic. It's mentalism. It's your job to remove their skepticism form the start. Perform other mental miracles before this one. This trick isn't going to prove you can read minds, but rather enforce, or re-iterate that idea.

This trick isn't something you'd whip out of your pocket in the middle of a sidewalk. There's a time and place for tricks like this, Die Cipher I, Super Sight, etc.

8)

Yes, that makes sense. And I totally agree that once you get them to BELIEVE in your mental abilties, whatever you do will seem like a mental miracle.

Also, when I say: "magic" I'm reffering to supernatural, paranormal or psychic power (including but not limited to mentalism). Kind of a suspension of disbelieve... something that challenges the view that you have of the World and so called Reality.

All I'm saying is that there are many more mentalism effects that are much more powerful and effective, where the posibility of having just guessed seems all the more imposible. 6 different options is not that much... it could've been luck. (And I know if you repeat the trick a few time the odds are increasingly "against you" and will create a more powerful impression. But, then again... they might think that something fishy is going on with all that "turn it over and see that there's no way I could see thru that"- they'll be like 'I know... you just told me a minute ago'.)

Now, guess a 10-digit serial number on the face of a dollar bill that they just handed you... and that makes thousands of possible number combinations that you would have to choose upon to make your guess. See the difference in the impact? It's her dollar... no weird looking gimmick that they haven't ever seen and therefore can't relate to, and just makes them more skeptic. (Maybe so much as to break the "spell' and the suspension of disbelieve that you just created a while back.) And you don't need to spend more than a dollar to get the gimmick you would need for that last effect.

But, hey! Everyone has their own opinions and if you (or anyone) liked this effect, then it's perfect. I'm just making some suggestions to others that might be considering what effects to buy... that they might want to take a closer look at this and determine what kind of impression and impact they want to create in their victim (I mean volunteer).

Take care! And remember it's all about BELIEVABILITY!!!

P.S. If you like the concept of believability, money magic or are interested in some of my views you might want to check other of my posts in the following Threads:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... ht=#136994

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... ht=#138164

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... ht=#136283

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... ht=#137021

Oh, and Mentalism is my second favorite type of magic. Sorry I just love Money! $$$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:30 am 
born to perform.

menti yarn is very strong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:31 am 
Penguin

The card effect called "Duo-Tech II" is an awesome mental/prediction effect. It's is easy to do, requires no sleights, and really blows people away. Here is the effect in a nutshell: You show an ordinary, small yellow notepad front and back, and write a predicition on it. You tear off the paper, fold it up and give it to the spectator to hold. No funny moves here at all!! A spectator then selects one of two decks of cards on the table (a red deck and a blue deck). Let's say they choose the red deck. They examine their red deck and see that it is a normal deck of cards all mixed up. They shuffle it and spread it facedown. They then choose one card and push it forward facedown. Meanwhile, you've taken the other deck (the blue deck), and have taken it out of it's case. You then take their chosen, facedown red-backed card and put it facedown on top of your facedown blue deck. Momentarily, you review what has happened so far: you made a prediction which the spectator has been holding. The spectator chose a red deck, examined it to be sure it was legit, shuffled it to their hearts content, and then randomly selected a facedown card which is now resting on top of your bluebacked deck. You then tell the spectator to turn over their red-backed card resting on top of your deck. Let's say their card turns out to be the 7 of Hearts. They then open the prediciton they've been holding on to which was written before the effect began. It says on it "7 of Hearts"!

But that ain't all, folks! You tell the spectator to pick up your blue-backed deck and find the matching 7 of Hearts in your deck. They go through the whole blue-backed deck face-up but discover that there are only 51 cards in the deck. And the 7 of Hearts is the only missing card! The blue deck is fully examinable -- there are only 51 DIFFERENT cards and the 7 of Hearts is the ONLY ONE MISSING!! You then casually point to a sealed envelope that is sitting across the room in a prominent place like on a mantle or propped up next to a lamp, etc.. The envelope is nowhere near you. The spectator gets the envelope, opens it, and finds the blue-backed 7 of Hearts sealed inside!

This is EXACTLY how Duo-Tech II looks. It is SO easy to do and requires no sleight-of-hand. Get this effect -- you will NOT be disappointed!

Peace.