View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mental List effect
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:40 am 
Penguin

I've just bought a mentalism effect from Ebay called "Mental List" (hah hah). The basic premise of the effect is to read out a list of words, and the spectator will remember one. You can then tell them the word they were thinking of. It's extremely easy to do, and - trust me on this - really freaks people out if you do it to them over the telephone. This would be a good effect to do over the phone with a potential client. Just thought I'd spread the news anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:11 am 
born to perform.

Who makes it? Does it work in person just as well as over the phone?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:23 am 
Penguin

It's a 2 page manuscript with a cover page. It's credited to "Phoenix Seven Magic Company for MDR Entertainments". It was designed by Kenny Roberts. That's all I know.

Yep, it works perfectly in person too, but I would recommend learning the list PERFECTLY before performing it in person as it would seem a wee bit amateurish (and a lot less psychic) reading it from a list of paper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:52 am 
born to perform.

It is a rip-off. Phoenix Magic did not invent the method; Sam Schwartz did.

What Phoenix did do is create a totally incompetent presentation: it makes no logical sense to just rattle off a bunch of words for the participant to choose. Why those words? Where do they come from? It's unmotivated and near-exposure of the method.

For a few good presentations using this method, see "Book It" in Richard Mark's book, Mind Warp; "Anagramarye" in T.A. Waters' book, Mind, Myth & Magick; and Doug Dyment's Sign Language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:55 pm 
Penguin

There's an effect that sounds alot like MentalList on Jim Pace's Visu-Antics DVD. He shows a list of maybe a dozen different things/ objects. You choose only 1. He divines it immediately or with, at most, 1 miss. It seemed pretty clever to me, but not quite to where I stopped the presses to learn it. I just looked on the dvd cover--It's called Magic List.

Post subject: same
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:45 am 
born to perform.

It's back on EBAY now..................Hmmmmmmmmmm wonder how good it really is.....

Post subject: Re: same
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:48 pm 
born to perform.

sapolice wrote:
It's back on EBAY now..................Hmmmmmmmmmm wonder how good it really is.....

Trust me, get the Marks or Waters book; you'll get tons of other great material, with a smarter presentation than this one.

Post subject: Neil
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:54 pm 
born to perform.

Neil,

Marks or Waters, ten four, working one some mentalism effects that I want to blend into one another before doing the "whole" effect. Got Mental Magic otw.

You know, I've been thinking about all this "exposure" mess. Dont see a lot of the "old" traditional methods (Fulves for one) being exposed. Maybe the tried and true methods of yesterday will stand the test of time.

Wayne