View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mentalism in Restaurants
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:23 am 
Penguin

Is there any really good mentalism for restaurants...maybe Derren Brown? or anything else? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:31 am 
born to perform.

I do mentalism all the time in restaurants. Just about anything that works close-up can be done in a restaurant: coin bending is always a hit for me, as well as serial number predictions, telepathic experiments with ESP cards and regular decks, producing spirit writing, and just about anything that involves writing on the back of my business card (because handing out cards and getting private engagements is really the whole point of working restaurants, after all).

For resources, check out the works of the usual suspects: Annemann, Waters and Corinda, as well as those of Richardson, Strivings, Banachek, Busch, Becker, Lesley and others.

Best of luck,
Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:51 pm 
born to perform.

i agree, if it does not require setup then it will be good. of course there are things that dont require setup but do have a very large gimmick, those are the exception to the rules. just experiment some tricks on people and if you get good reactions then you might want to use it other times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:26 pm 
Penguin

Now that you mention restraunt work, why not do a silverware bending routine?! Pretty practical if you ask me. I'm not sure about other bending acts, but I know that Banachek's is just about completely impromptu (and I hear his video is great).

Andy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:20 pm 
Penguin

I do Diecypher 2,Phil,Twisted Sisters and they always get great reactions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:23 am 
Penguin

rgf12205 wrote:
I do Diecypher 2,Phil,Twisted Sisters and they always get great reactions.

Why so many people mention the Diecypher? It's such a dumb trick... it's the worst mentalism trick you can ever do. Can a moderator delete every post that contains Diecypher in it? You might as well ask someone to think of a number between 1 and 3. It's just not very impresive... and it's a weird gimmick... and it's expensive. Stop mentioning that!!! Diecypher 1, 2 and any sequel they come up with... just sucks!

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. My psychiatrist recommended that I should express my emotions freely. SO LEAVE ME ALONE!!! :?

Okay, I feel better now. Now about the topic. Although I am not the Restaurant Magic type... I believe that you can naturally get away with anything related to Money. Vanishes, Appearances, Matrix, Stealth Pen, Floating Dollar Bill, Serial Number Prediction, Coin Bending, Dime and Penny, etc. Cold Reading will also work.

You should stay away from weird gimmicks (Diecypher) or things where the spectator will think... what the edited does he bring that to a restaurant for. And maybe a pack of cards... just maybe. It's still a little uncommon but if you've got a very good effect... it might work. Check out Daryl's Ambitious Card:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=30

And about that silverware bending... that's a great idea too. Check Psychokinetic Silverware by Gerry & Banachek:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=16

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:48 am 
Penguin

1st. the topic of this page is Restaurant Mentalism
2nd there is a BIG differance between diecypher 1 and 2. With diecypher 2 you get the exact number so it's like asking for a number between 1-6
3rd I have been working restaurants for the last 4 years and diecypher does get a great reaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:06 pm 
born to perform.

really?
What restaurant do you do?

Anyways, The Xpert or Invisible deck seem like good ment. trix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:28 am 
Penguin

rgf12205 wrote:
1st. the topic of this page is Restaurant Mentalism
2nd there is a BIG differance between diecypher 1 and 2. With diecypher 2 you get the exact number so it's like asking for a number between 1-6
3rd I have been working restaurants for the last 4 years and diecypher does get a great reaction.

1st Read my post again 'cause you got it all wrong!
2nd Look up the word "sarcasm" in the dictionary.
3rd DIE!

I know the topic is Restaurant Mentalism... and I talked about that in the post.

The BIG difference between Diecypher 1 and 2 is they BOTH suck! Oh, that wasn't a difference. So what... part 2 is better than one. BIG Deal... I mean for a trick that said: "You chose the 6... oh or that could've been a 1 too... whatever!" Preaty much any effect will be better. I'm just saying that it's not a very impressive or practical trick. Or that there are hundreds of effects much better than that one for half the money.

And if you get great reactions from DieCypher 2... your spectators are [edited]! Oh, I didn't really wanted to insult your mom. And just worried that if the ever see a real mentalism effect... they'll probrably have a stroke or something. So stick to that one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:40 pm 
Penguin

If I thought you new what you where talking about I MIGHT feel insulted.

But since you don't or have any idea how a good preformance can make any trick great. Just keep practicing and MAYBE some day even you can make even a bad trick like diecypher look good look good.
In the mean time just keep mouthing off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:47 pm 
Penguin

Dude, relax! I'm just joking! I'm sorry if I offended you. Still I think you are wrong on that Diecypher thing. But, lets just leave it at that. You win! Whatever... I don't think that cheap trick really deserves more of my time and energy. Gosh, do they give you any commisions or something?

You did make a good point by saying that a good performance will make even the most dumb trick seem great, but why bother when you can have a great trick and make it seem TOTALLY AMAZING!!!

And for the practice thing... I always practice, and I always will, because the more I practice the better I'll get. And it's that practice that has given me the inside into what effects get the best reactions. I guess you'll learn that in time. Or, you can save yourself some time by letting go a little bit of your pride and accepting others suggestions and ideas once in a while. But, you'll probrably ignore that suggestion too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:22 am 
Penguin

Quote:
And if you get great reactions from DieCypher 2... your spectators are [edited]! Oh, I didn't really wanted to insult your mom. And just worried that if the ever see a real mentalism effect... they'll probrably have a stroke or something. So stick to that one!

Thats a quote from MagicalSeducer, If I ever get mod status that will get you banned. Its not nice, polite or even civil. It takes about 2 seconds of reading to figure out that you DONT work in a restaurant. If you did you would just answer the question. So, we have a liar, a not very nice person and someone who does not allow anybody to have a differnt view than him. Not very nice, no christmas card for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:20 am 
Penguin

owenscott wrote:
Quote:

Thats a quote from MagicalSeducer, If I ever get mod status that will get you banned. Its not nice, polite or even civil. It takes about 2 seconds of reading to figure out that you DONT work in a restaurant. If you did you would just answer the question. So, we have a liar, a not very nice person and someone who does not allow anybody to have a differnt view than him. Not very nice, no christmas card for you.

Well, I appreciate you concern. Thanks God you are not a mod. If a mod sees my message... they would reffer to my other post and put everything in perspective. They will clearly see that banning me is not a good idea. I only joined 2 weeks ago, and already have contributed more to these Forums than you have since October 11.

It's true I have never work in a restaurant (unless Mc Donnalds counts)... but I never claimed I did. This is obviously the Mentalism Forum... and I have experience with Mentalism... so I guess that qualifies me to give my suggestions. So, if anyone here is a liar, that would be YOU!

Also, I have answered the question giving a few suggestions... based on my experience with Close-up Magic (which if you are smart enough will clearly see it's relation with Restaurant Magic) and Mentalism (which is the Topic of this Forum). Of course, you didn't quote that, now did you?

As for being a nice person... I think that you can not judge me because you do not know me. Maybe I got a little carried away with that... it was not my intention to hurt anyone. I'm just sarcastic and use a little dark humor sometimes. It was clearly a joke... and I said so in another post (which you did not quote either... now I wonder why?).

Further more, you claim that I do not allow others to have their opinions. If that were true I would never be in a Forum... because obviously many people will have opinions very different from mine. Now... I will challenge a suggestion that does not make sense to me... that's what a Discussion Group is for... to discuss. If you have something different than me to say... by all means do it.

But, please don't be posting your dumb little message trying to damage my reputation (if I have one anyways). To me that is more a violation to the rules than what I have done; for the rules prohibits posting "material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive..." Sounds familiar?

So, again... if anyone was offended by me. I publicly appologize. I did not mean to. Because of the limits of the written language... some of you might not get when I am joking. So I will try to either make it more obvious or just keep it to myself... it's just that I believe that sometimes you guys take things way too seriously, and I try to loosen you up. So, if you all excuse me... let's see if I can go and write a helpful post now. owenscott, I would suggest you do the same thing.

Take care all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:41 pm 
Penguin

ROFL LMAO LOL
thats all i got to say of ur lil fight.
about the title, i think that restaurants can go with just about any type of magic... only tricks that invole setup would not suit here. i think tricks like the invisible deck would be awsome for restaurants magic...
i hope this helps.

PS

check out the restaurants walkarounds title. i think ur quetion belongs there and not here, or maybe both... just look at the posts there and i think u'll fidn ur answer,

Tomer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:20 pm 
Penguin

Well , ive got the thought transmitter . This can play miracles for the starting mentalist ... but you just have to check the lighting in the restaurant or you could accedently show the gimmick . Paul harris One and only looks really good ... I imagine that another good concept could be doing magic with a marked deck .. let the spectator shuffle the cards , you pick one and they find it .... it appears like they are doing the magic ...