View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:54 pm 
Penguin

i tried kenton knepper's completely cold. Quite impressive, and I was a little scared (it actually worked a couple of times, and it made me uncomfortable). really simple system.

However, I don't know if its that I didn't practice, or whether it was that I did it to friends (and they woudln't take me seriously), but often, I just left victims (lol) confused, frustrated and a bit annoyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:17 pm 
born to perform.

Is there a non-online store that sells these books or sumthing? i can't find anything at Barnes and Nobles, the library, or the magic shop here.... and I don't think Penguin has them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:40 pm 
Penguin

Kenton's "Completely Cold" is a great system but it barely scratches the surface on what is possible. His "Wonder Readings" is excellent. His "Wonder Words" also is an excellent reference but doesn't directly deal with cold reading although it gives you many tools you can use to enhance your readings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:21 am 
Emperor Penguin

Sweet. I'll look into them. Thanks. :)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:03 pm 
Penguin

who good is the tradecraft book is a goodbuy.

AlexWong wrote:
Hi, I just started out on some cold reading myself. I had tradecraft sometime back, but was still too new to appreciate it, so its .... somewhere... lol, need to look for it.

I've heard brillant reviews about Ian's book, and has been tempted to get it myself, but I have some other materials I am going through right now.

Consider Commerical Cold Reading by Richard Webster, its not too shabby if you are starting out... I've started listening to it for some ideas and all. It provides some basics, but if you already have knowledge, I don't think it will provide alot.

I am not sure how it complement's Ian's book though, as I don't have it.

Best of luck.

Post subject: Re: Cold reading
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:53 pm 
Penguin

do penguin magic sells anything on cold reading.

quote="feecba"]Ians book completly cold is bar far the best book on cold reading,

13 steps to mentalism has a section on cold reading

also kenton knepper wrote a small booklet called "completely cold"
after reading it, I was able to give psychic readings with scary results
people thought i was a psychic. its a complete system.

I also have "the classic reading" an introduction to the gentle art of cold reading
by lee earle

If you just want to be a psychic any of these will let you know how to do it
If your in a rush to do it get kentons book If you want to know it in depth get Ian rowland's book, I emailed him a few years ago Beggin him to Realese the book It was worth the 3 yr wait I had to get it.

13 steps Gives you good information but not as indepth as Ians book

A few others Which I have never been able to get my hands on Is "king of the cold readers" by Herb Dewey and "Red Hot Cold Reading"[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:19 am 
Penguin

I found a little article that can get you started in Cold Reading. It doesn't go in-depth... but can just give you an idea of what's involved in it and it's limitless possibilities:

http://www.skeptics.com.au/journal/coldread.htm

Just thought it could be helpful to some of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:19 pm 
Penguin

thanks magicalseducer do you know who to cold read very good. do you who long does it takes to learn cold reading.

MagicalSeducer wrote:
I found a little article that can get you started in Cold Reading. It doesn't go in-depth... but can just give you an idea of what's involved in it and it's limitless possibilities:

http://www.skeptics.com.au/journal/coldread.htm

Just thought it could be helpful to some of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:57 pm 
Penguin

magicboy2003 wrote:
thanks magicalseducer do you know who to cold read very good. do you who long does it takes to learn cold reading.

Well, I'm just getting started with the Cold Reading stuff. But, it's really not that hard. The most important thing is what I call BELIEVABILITY. If you can make someone believe that you are really a psychic... you can do the worse cold reading act and still get away with it. I use that concept of BELIEVABILITY in all my magic... and I can do the most simple of effects and still get great reactions from my spectators.

But, Cold Reading... like anything else in life, will take a lot of practice to actually master. The good thing is that you can get results immediately after learning the fundamentals... and get better as you practice more and more.

Now, I believe that Cold Reading shouldn't be use by itself. It should be done in the context of a Mentalism Act. CR should be used as a powerful mentalism tool, but don't forget other things that also help. Gimmicks like the Swami can be very effective too. (Now, why doesn't Penguin Magic carry that?) Also, you can use Hot Reading... by finding out whatever you can about your spectator. Neuro-Linguistic Programming is another technique that can help you a lot. Also, magical principles like the Magician's Choice are priceless. And if you top that with mentalism effects like those done with the Bat... your spectator will think you are a Real Psychic!

Some people have already recommended some books that you can get to learn more about cold reading. Another book I would add to the list... although not exactly a book on Cold Reading... but definitely something that will improve your Cold Reading/Mentalism/Magic... is Absolute Magic by Derren Brown:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=637

Here's a review that I found very helpful:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... hp?t=35847

Hope this helps!