View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:59 am 
Penguin

byrannewell wrote:
The rubber band is for both.

Yes, but from the audience's perspective the band is there to stop the cards scattering when they are thrown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:00 am 
Penguin

byrannewell wrote:
The rubber band is for both.

Yes, but from the audience's perspective the band is there to stop the cards scattering when they are thrown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:31 pm 
Penguin

Yes thats what i was getting at. I thought it would kinda go without having to spell it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:11 pm 
Penguin

My apologies. Some people truly are that dense, you know.

Post subject: derren brown - pure effect
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:23 am 
Penguin

i agree that the MPD is over-priced and printed on sub-grade material.
HOWEVER - anyone who has bought Derren Brown's Pure Effect will know of a killer routine which justifies the price of MPD on its own (and elegantly circumnavigates some of the problems of MPD)

nuff said

net

Post subject: same
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:21 am 
born to perform.

May want to check out Osterlind's Radar Deck. I don't have it yet but read it has less "fishing." Pretty good reviews on it.

Post subject: Re: derren brown - pure effect
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:18 pm 
Emperor Penguin

netguzzler wrote:
i agree that the MPD is over-priced and printed on sub-grade material.
HOWEVER - anyone who has bought Derren Brown's Pure Effect will know of a killer routine which justifies the price of MPD on its own (and elegantly circumnavigates some of the problems of MPD)

The MPD effect is great. The secret is what I found I paid for. Not for the deck itself. :) I ditched the gimmick portion of the effect and made a similar effect with bicycles. It's less examinable, but very effective. If you do the trick properly however, there is no need, nor want for it to be examined.

In making it with bucycles, you can even do card tricks with it if you don't mind resetting after you use it.

Of course, it significantly adds to the cost as well.

8)

Last edited by wayno on Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: same
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:20 pm 
Emperor Penguin

sapolice wrote:
May want to check out Osterlind's Radar Deck. I don't have it yet but read it has less "fishing." Pretty good reviews on it.

Yes. The Radar deck is pretty much the same effect. Slightly less "no" answers with it.

8)

Post subject: Mind Power Deck with Bicycle Back...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:40 am 
Penguin

I have been using the MPD for quite some time with great success. I too had to face the different back as I normally use Bicycle's. If you can perform a (casual or dare-devil, whatever suits your style) deck switch, then you have it in your hands.

I basically put 2 Bicycle's Jockers on top of the face-down deck and put the whole thing in a bicycle box. In my regular decks I always carry jockers for various reasons that I won't develop here but take my word for it, they are very handy at times...
Anyway, when I am ready to perform the MPD effect, I just switch the decks. - You can just perform a coin trick between the two card tricks to justify the fact that you had to put the deck in your pocket and pull them back out. Then I take the deck out, face down, showing the Bicycle back.
Then I flip the deck over, face up, and get into a false hindu shuffle in a way that allows me to show/flash from time to time the back of the deck, while casually pattering. The display of the cards is so brief and most of the time covered by your hands moving around that the discrepancies are never noticed. This is to establish that the deck is just the same one as the one I have been using since the beginning of the show and that the cards are mixed up.
Then only I get into the routine, I fan the cards, showing that they are different as I patter, and so forth... you know the rest.
From the audience's viewpoint, it is just a mental miracle with the same deck.
By the way, only people who spend a lot of time with cards (basically magicians or gamblers...) notice that the designs are different. In any case, you don't show the design per se, you only BRIEFLY show the pips, so even in these cases, the difference in design or color go un-noticed!

Cheers!