View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where should i start??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:13 pm 
Penguin

i have a good experiecne with cards and coins. i have abosolutly no mentalisl tricks. i want to start doing mentalism. i dont know where to start. :oops: i dont want to get anything that is too hard but i dont want something dumb like that blue cube trick. any sugestions??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:08 pm 
Penguin

The osterlind stuff got me on the right track. Thats where i started.
I heard Annemans(sp?) book is good also.

Post subject: Getting Started In Mentalism
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:29 am 
born to perform.

Everybody's journey is different. But here's what worked for me, and may work for you.

In my opinion, the first step to performing mentalism isn't tricks. It's learning to think like a mentalist, get a handle on the range of techniques available to us, and consider how to present effects and yourself effectively so that everything appears "real."

The place to start this process is with some good books: Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism and Annemann's The Jinx (highlights of which appear in Practical Mental Magic or Practical Mental Effects, depending on the edition).

Follow that up with Waters' Mind, Myth & Magick.

The first one covers a broad range of mentalism techniques that will be useful to you to the end of your mentalism performing days. And all three sources are chock full of great effects and brilliant thinking.

From there, I would suggest reading the thoughts of Eugene Burger, who knows more than a thing or two about presentation.

Then onward to any number of videos and books. Maven's Videomind series. Lesley's Paramiracles. Osterlind's DVDs. The works of Becker, Banachek, Richardson...the list goes on and on.

Enjoy,
Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:12 pm 
born to perform.

He didn't even plug the X-pert.....

But I will it's a great thing for a mentalist to own it's the TT of mentalism IMHO....get one....NOW.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:13 pm 
born to perform.

22 Blows to the Head by Sankey looks good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:28 pm 
born to perform.

why is this a sticky?

anyway...

get:

STOP LIGHT CARDS!!

Surprisingly, they have gotten the best reactions out of all my mentalism tricks. For the price, I'd say they're pretty darn good :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:37 pm 
Penguin

Everything on the demo for the 22 blows to the head ive figured out and tried on people. I wouldn't recommend it if you have a video of all the tricks being performed. They look really easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:55 am 
born to perform.

22 blows of the head is not a great place to start for mentalism. strict mentalism is stuff in corinda. start there. 22 blows is mental magic, card work that wouldnt get you a rep as a psychic entertainer.

Post subject: erm
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:02 pm 
born to perform.

You starting how about Jay sankeys mentalism effects anyone can do? :twisted: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:26 am 
born to perform.

Hello,

If you have read the description of the four effects included with The Xpert, and these effects appeal to you, then by all means get it. I can assure you that nothing has been left out of the descriptions, as I have a personal distaste against deceptive advertising (like you, I have fallen for it repeatedly).

Also, in addition to these four effects, there are a couple more on my website, including the Bending Coin effect, which I've been told is worth the price of The Xpert all by itself. It's certainly the effect I do most often with The Xpert.

Finally, I should tell you that I'm working on a booklet or a DVD (I'm still ironing that out) as a followup to the one included with The Xpert, which will detail several other routines -- many of them submitted by Xpert users both famous and underground. That should be coming out in a couple of months.

If you would like to read some reviews of The Xpert, these threads just about cover it:
http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0404xpert.html
http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/index. ... ay&rid=533
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... hp?t=30805
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... hp?t=36011
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... hp?t=31003

Also, there are 12 pages(!) of discussion at the Cafe, and a rave of a review in the September 03 issue of Genii.

If, after reading all this, you have a specific question about The Xpert that is not answered above (and good luck coming up with one), feel free to drop me a PM.

Thanks to Neil Tobin for this bit of writing.

Best,
Neil Tobin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:44 pm 
born to perform.

Matt, us Xpert buyers are just waiting in the PO's for solid discussion, join us if you can.

Et al. Follow Neil's advice. Corinda and Annemann's work is pretty much a must have. Neil also mentions Banachek which has pretty much been my inspiration to follow the path to mentalism.

I made the mistake of trying to "buy" my mentalism. It's the same for mentalism as it is for magic: Buying the tricks and gimmicks get you started but you can do an entire routine with the literature mentioned above and the gimmicks needed can be made at home. (Xcept for the Xpert which you have to buy... it's worth it guys, trust me)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:18 pm 
Penguin

I just viewed 22 blows and i actually like it. some of the things that are really good are not shown in the demo.

Hey neil thanks for making the xpert. It is really great.

take his advice. he knows a thing or two about mentalism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:01 am 
born to perform.

neil knows a lot about mentalism...heck more so than any of us on this board. GAry gave some good advice though, you have to read the books, buying tricks are going to get you NOWHERE. That is the real problem with magicians wanting to switch over. None want to read, they just want to buy the trick that can make them read minds....uh uh....doh work dat way. Just wait till Gerry McCambridge's special airs. You will see all the magis wanting to switch over and ruin the art. Unfortunately Gerry's effects wont be figure outable like Blaine's and they will be pretty disappoionted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:06 am 
born to perform.

david_a_whitehead wrote:
neil knows a lot about mentalism...heck more so than any of us on this board. GAry gave some good advice though, you have to read the books, buying tricks are going to get you NOWHERE. That is the real problem with magicians wanting to switch over. None want to read, they just want to buy the trick that can make them read minds....uh uh....doh work dat way. Just wait till Gerry McCambridge's special airs. You will see all the magis wanting to switch over and ruin the art. Unfortunately Gerry's effects wont be figure outable like Blaine's and they will be pretty disappoionted.

Not to mention the cost factor. I have started buying mentalsim material and it isn't cheap and that fact alone may save it from the people who watch the special and think that they will go out and buy a few things. PLus alot of it is kind of hard to find and hopefully this helps too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:23 am 
born to perform.

the cost is higher than magic props and books because mentalists want to preserve their secrets and not have it available for everyone. Exposure in mentalism is a lot more damaging than exposure in magic.