View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:30 pm 
born to perform.

wow, thats a lot of questions. ok, first off, mentalism is not something you always do when someone wants to see a trick. as for practicality, well, that depends on how you perform. 7 deceptions may have not been the best place to start in mentalism. those are some pretty advanced techniques. if u can perform them, well, i guess you have some good skills, but mentalism is not something u can leap into quickly. it is a lot harder to perform it realistically than slight of hand.

DONT even start to compare mentalism. especially wonder words. if u think wonder words isnt good, or even practical, then ur nuts. Wonder Words improves any magic. they are simple words or phrases that make it more convincing. u wonder why they are so expensive, well, the secrets contained are so valuble, i wish he would have kept them to himself.

as for cold reading, its not an effect or trick. it also does not belong after an Ambitious Card routine. i think a few people can back me up in saying that you are thinking to high of mentalism. dont get full facts of cold reading. get annemanns practical mental magic and corinda's 13 steps to mentalism. when u have mastered those techniques, then move on. ALso, if u only have 7 deceptions, leave Psychological Subtleties alone as well. you cant start at a higher level than u can handle. trust me, kenton's material is for mentalists who know a thing or two about mentalism

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:00 pm 
born to perform.

well said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:33 am 
Penguin

I do have to say mentalism is a lot stronger than other aspects of magic.
I like kentons stuff also and yes you do need to know a couple things before getting started with his stuff, i made the mistake of buying it b4 i knew anything about mentalism and i didnt know what to do, it was to overwhelming , but now i am a bit more knowledged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:31 am 
born to perform.

Read Blaines book mysterious stranger its got alot of things in there about htis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:03 pm 
born to perform.

If you've ever heard of Derren Brown, he's amazing at this sort of thing. Instead of letting someone think of a card and he guesses it, he psychologically forces cards on people.

For one trick he did, he had four face-down cards that make up an incomplete poker hand and he psychologically forced the spectator to go through another deck and take out the missing card, although they had no idea which card would complete the hand.

Go to http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/t ... creen.html for some weird stuff like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:00 pm 
Penguin

I bought this mentalism book and in one section it said that most girls or woman with think of the king of hearts, and most men think of the ace of spades. Try it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:49 pm 
born to perform.

well, psychological forcing and mentalism is different for every spectator. Ive had hits on cards, numbers and words from certain spectators, and have gotten no replies to suggestion. While others i may hit with tons of suggestion, but not with psychological stuff. anyways, dont think that there is a common card that everyone thinks of. if anything, use a sort of pumping. but if you pump, you have so seem totally confident with your abilities. just asking someone to think of a card and naming it is good if you hit. if you fail, you look stupid. but to start with the color, then suit, then value, its a different story

Post subject: The most thought of cards.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:48 pm 
Penguin

Before you try to divine the thought of card you have to read the person. You have to be able to tell what type of person they are. If they have been trying to make you mess up on an effect than 95% of the time they will think of a card that you would never think of. Normally for men like that the card will be like the 3 of clubs. For women it is normally the 4 of hearts. The most common thought of card is the Ace of Spades. It can be very obvious to the people that you will say the Ace of Spades. I normally tell them not to think of it. For men that aren't trying to fool you they will normally think of the Jack of Clubs. For women it is normally the Queen of Hearts. You can probably tell by now that women usually pick a red card and men pick a black card. Stick to what discjockey said start with the color then the suit and then the denomination of the card. It adds more suspense that way. :D

Hopefully this has helped :!:

Nate