View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Xpert by Neil Tobin
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:43 pm 
born to perform.

I watched the demo video for this trick and to be honest i was let down. I saw a magician on holiday 3 years ago perform this trick with the same handling and in the same way patter and all. So how can it be "by Neil Tobin" if some guy knew about it 3 years ago?

Post subject: Re: The Xpert by Neil Tobin
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:54 pm 
Penguin

[quote="killerkey"]I watched the demo video for this trick and to be honest i was let down. I saw a magician on holiday 3 years ago perform this trick with the same handling and in the same way patter and all. So how can it be "by Neil Tobin" if some guy knew about it 3 years ago?[/quote]

I think they simply chose a poor trick to demo this utility device. The trick happens to be one that can be accomplished pretty effectively through other means. That's why you saw another magician perform the "same" trick. I'm absolutely positive the magician you saw do the trick used the common principle used in such prediction tricks. So that guy was using a different method. I'm sure Neil Tobin's method is just as unique and wonderfully new as the professional magicians out there have been saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:45 pm 
born to perform.

I can assure you that Neil Tobin did all of his background research for this product but he released it. Like Baxter commented there are other means to this effect but it isn't how or what you think, Trust me. There are many effects that can be accomplished by using the Xpert, Penguin just choose this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:57 pm 
born to perform.

The Xpert makes that effect in the demo much easier to do and harder to detect that it is without the Xpert. It's not the best demo to show off the Xpert's power. Read the product description, and you'll see the effect Oz demoed is called "Xpert Epic". "Out of Body Xpert" is far more impressive, but doing a demo of that might have risked too much exposure.

The mentalism effect in "Xpert Epic" is not new, but the utility device that makes is so easy and convincing is new. The Xpert is not an illusion, it is a utility device for doing illusions. It comes complete with four sample illusions, plus more on Neil's website, and more in the P.O. forum. It's only just getting started. Neil has a follow-up booklet in the works with the best of the user ideas.

When it's available at Penguin again, I recommend getting one and seeing for yourself what it's capable of. The best thing about the Xpert is its utilization of the old principle of "hide in plain sight". The specs can watch you use it right under their noses, and never suspect a thing.

Robert V Frazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:55 pm 
born to perform.

coin bending is by far the best effect with it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:13 pm 
born to perform.

The best so far, I agree. I'm hoping that even better ideas will come along. I'm thinking seriously of getting the "X" manuscript, which is what the Xpert was designed to improve on. It's supposed to have some ideas that Neil hasn't told us about, because they're not his to tell. It's got me curious, I have to say.

Robert V Frazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:40 pm 
Penguin

I love my Xpert. I think Neil Tobin has made an excellent tool available to us. That said, I think the demo Penguin slapped together is HORRIBLE. Oz is very skilled at sleight of hand and he has a pretty winning personality, but he's no mentalist. I wish they'd gotten Neil to demo his own invention. I've gleaned a lot of excellent advice from his postings these past few months; I'd really like to see him in action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:32 am 
born to perform.

I couldn't agree more, czero. If I had to rely solely on Oz's demo, I never would have bought it. Thank God for good reviews from people like Magicmandan! http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... ight=xpert That one sold me, and I'm glad it did.

Yeah, I would love to see Neil do the demo vid for the Xpert! It could happen. Oz did the original demo for In a Flash, and now we have Jay Sankey's demo. Yes, Jay's demo is better.

Robert V Frazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:42 pm 
born to perform.

If you own in flash or have figured it out you will see oz exposes the trick but i'll have to see for my self the Xperts potential thanks for the help guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:22 pm 
born to perform.

Just ignore all demo videos here at penguin.

They don't do many tricks justice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:55 pm 
born to perform.

what is mr tobin's homepage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:55 pm 
born to perform.

discjockey wrote:
what is mr tobin's homepage?

Xpert product support can be found at www.necromancerevents.com
Product area password: JINX

Thanks for your interest,
Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:35 am 
born to perform.

Hey Neil,

Just a quick question for you. Has Penguin ever approached you about doing a demo video for the Xpert? I think that would be great to actually see the man behind the trick performing it himself, especially for such an awesome utility device like this one.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:59 am 
born to perform.

retrac wrote:
Hey Neil,

Just a quick question for you. Has Penguin ever approached you about doing a demo video for the Xpert? I think that would be great to actually see the man behind the trick performing it himself, especially for such an awesome utility device like this one.

Jeff

Thanks for thinking of me (and to Czero and Robert for bringing it up).

I don't know that Penguin typically extends such invitations. However, I would imagine that if I filmed a good quality demo myself, Penguin would run it. Life being as busy as it is, though, that's just not a priority. At least, not right now.

On the flip side, I'll be on WGN-TV (Chicago) on the morning of May 6 (7am-8am), doing an in-studio performance on the Morning News to promote my current show . . . which, if the station lets me use it, just might be the demo you're looking for. I'll let you know.

Best,
Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:13 am 
born to perform.

cool neil. You just convinced me to wake up early that morning.