View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can cold reading be a good trick if you do it right?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:11 pm 
Penguin

I was wondering if you could tell me about cold reading and if you could tell me if it is good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:05 am 
born to perform.

This is a topic that has been discussed here before. By searching I found this post that should have enough references to help you.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... ld+reading

EDIT: Sorry I just reread your post, I don't think that Cold reading should be presented as a "trick". It is something that should be taken seriously and not thrown out as a "trick"
Wade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:13 pm 
Penguin

I've seen Derren Brown present some tricks which seemed to be basically cold reading. It fitted into his show well, but if for example David Blaine did it it would come off as lame as it wouldn't fit into his style. I think the difference is that Brown doesn't attempt to portray any of his material as real magic, just as skilled mental manipulation (not that it necessarily is, of course, but that's his presentation).

If you're looking into Cold Reading hoping that it will enable you to perform lots of mentalism, then you're probably going to be disappointed. Like I say, it could fit into an act, but you'd need lots of other stuff. It probably gives you relatively little material for the time invested, so you might be better off spending your time elsewhere.

As to whether cold reading should be "taken seriously", I'm not sure that I agree. It is a trick, in the sense that it purports to be something that it isn't, and its only purpose is to provide an illusion to the viewer or viewers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:28 pm 
born to perform.

If you read Brown's books you can tell that he is trying to present everything like real magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:37 am 
Penguin

I haven't read any of his books (yet), but I've heard that he says it should be presented as real magic. But (correct me if I'm wrong), aren't all those books talking about his card magic etc. rather than his new mentalism act? I've never seen him perform any 'magic', and I was under the impression that he'd more or less stopped performing that to focus on mentalism.

In the mentalism arena, I have to say that watching his shows I've never seen him imply that he has supernatural powers. He often emphasises how these things can be achieved by the information we give away subconsciously, and how we react to subconscious cues. I've seen him say when interviewed that a lot of his stuff relies on showmanship. He even exposes some of the secrets (detecting lies by eye movement) on his Channel 4 web site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:34 pm 
born to perform.

Not really fishpi. He does include some card work, but Brown does cover quite a bit of material. He goes through rapport, suggestion, risk taking, a good number of effects and a few notes on performance whether it be direct reading (as per say cold reading) or magical artistry (as per say mentalism with cards). I can recommend Pure Effect if you want to learn some effects, some psychology and essays. Absolute Magic is for people working on presentation. If this is what you are interested in, pick that one up as well. I reveived them both for Christmas and i can say that they were the highlight of my holiday freetime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:10 pm 
born to perform.

if you want to see him perform magic there is his "Devil's Picturebook" video available directly from Derren. If you want to see his mentalism lecture, International Magic in London has exclusive rights to it....it includes performances of his signature pieces Lift and Reminiscence (both deleted after the first spiral bound edition of Pure Effect).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:40 pm 
born to perform.

I would have liked to know what those effects are. I am compelled by Mr. Brown's work and I am just starting to re read Absolute Magic. Theres a lot of stuff i missed.