View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Which?
Max Mavens Videomind 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
Osterlinds DVD's 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: Books or DVD's
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:39 pm 
Penguin

I have always been a bit apprehensive about buying books, mainly because i like to see whats happening but with mentalism i appear to have come across a section of magic where books are just as good, or if not better than DVD's (apparently). i would like to know ur opinions in whether books are best to teach you effects, or whether DVD's are still a better visual aid?? Also what are everyone best/favorite books that they would reccomend and which of these do Penguin sell? Thanks everyone, Laurence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:45 pm 
born to perform.

i own max maven's volumes 1 and 2 and i rented osterlinds 1 2 and 3 and i can tell you that neither will be dissapointing if you are interested in mentalism. The Mockingbird in Max Maven's volume one is probably one of my favorite effects. I cant believe that im telling you this, but i combine The MOckingbird with deep astonishment. That is a great combination for me. Either way, you'll love both sets. I'd go with either.

oh, and you wont find very many good mentalism dvds. most of the best secrets of magic are contained in books. just now you know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:00 pm 
born to perform.

Penguin sells Practical Mental Magic...which is what you should start with. Do not buy DVDs until you have read the basics. 13 Steps to mentalism by Corinda is another tome that must be read. Unlike Magic, mentalism starts with study and the vide (visual aids) will help you with performance guidance but in terms of learning tools, reading books is far superior. Remember, mentalism is "mental", magic is more "visual". If you are serious about mentalism read the two books i mentioned above, then you might want to look into osterlinds work...especially DVD #1 which contains more purist mentalism effects. The Maven DVDs and the rest of the Osterlind set border more along the lines of magic/mental magic. Banachek is supposed to be bringing out a dvd of great mentalism effects sometime later in the year. This should top the sets you mentioned in terms of "pure mentalism".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:18 pm 
born to perform.

i agree with david. you didnt give any info on how long you performed or the like. good starting points tho