View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Zombie ball questions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:21 pm 
Penguin

first of all thanks for reading
ive used the search button but cant find what im looking for :(
ANYWAYS...
my friend is hosting an orcehstra performance and he asked me to do some magic durring the intermission, its very short, only like 3-5 minuites and i was thinking of getting a zombie ball and i have a few questions

1. Whats the viewable angls for this thing the stage is almost surrounded 150degrees by chairs (starting from the middle) its a pretty large stage soi wont be too close to the audience
2. where can i get a good one for not too much money, i hear the penguin ones blow
3. Can i put things inside other than silks? It looks like most of these zombie balls can be split open to reveal silks and i was thinking of putting like and appearing cane with silks attached to it, inside the ball
4. Is a month of consistent practice enogh to master this effect?
5. Also i believe there will be performers on stage about 3-4 feet wawy from me, will they be able to see "whats really going on"
6. Its a fundraising concert, does that mean i have to use royalty free music for this performance?
(last ones a little off topic but :P)
thanks for your time

Post subject: Re: Zombie ball questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:49 am 
Penguin

daeatenone88 wrote:
ANYWAYS...
my friend is hosting an orcehstra performance and he asked me to do some magic durring the intermission, its very short, only like 3-5 minuites and I was thinking of getting a zombie ball and I have a few questions

1. Whats the viewable angls for this thing the stage is almost surrounded 150degrees by chairs (starting from the middle) its a pretty large stage soi wont be too close to the audience
2. where can I get a good one for not too much money, I hear the penguin ones blow
3. Can I put things inside other than silks? It looks like most of these zombie balls can be split open to reveal silks and I was thinking of putting like and appearing cane with silks attached to it, inside the ball
5. Also I believe there will be performers on stage about 3-4 feet wawy from me, will they be able to see "whats really going on"
6. Its a fundraising concert, does that mean I have to use royalty free music for this performance?
thanks for your time

1.There are no angle problems.
2.I got mine at my local shop.
3.I've never heard of people putting things inside.
4.You can figure it out in an hour but if you want to coreograph it i say it would only take a solid week.
5.Nope.
6.Don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:55 am 
Penguin

thanks for the reply... anyone else? Im also thinking about getting TOm write's DVD on it anyone know if that is any good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:16 pm 
born to perform.

i got myne off ebay..i never heard of puttin somethin inside it though :?

Post subject: Re: Zombie ball questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:42 pm 
Emperor Penguin

daeatenone88 wrote:
ANYWAYS...
my friend is hosting an orcehstra performance and he asked me to do some magic durring the intermission, its very short, only like 3-5 minuites and I was thinking of getting a zombie ball and I have a few questions

2. where can I get a good one for not too much money, I hear the penguin ones blow
3. Can I put things inside other than silks? It looks like most of these zombie balls can be split open to reveal silks and I was thinking of putting like and appearing cane with silks attached to it, inside the ball
5. Also I believe there will be performers on stage about 3-4 feet wawy from me, will they be able to see "whats really going on"
6. Its a fundraising concert, does that mean I have to use royalty free music for this performance?
thanks for your time

1. Not surrounded, but your angles will be ok.
2. http://www.newconceptsmagicsupplies.com ... uctId=1060
3. Only with the MAK version can it open, and yes, you could put that stuff in there.
4. It depends. You ned to practice moves, then make them into a routine.
5. If there's backlighting, no. With the proper foulard, it will not be see-through from the front.
6. Don't know

P.S. Pick up Jeb Sherill's new "Zombie Re-Animated" 2 disc series, either one, two, or both (recommended), from www.sablemagic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:06 pm 
Penguin

Concerning the DVD... I suggest Jeff McBride, The Art of Stage Magic. There is a section with some REALLY good tips on how to modify the gimick a little and other important stuff. Good move techs as well. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:19 pm 
born to perform.

One question: When is this performance supposed to take place? The Zombie Ball is not something you can pick up and "master" in a few days. it takes a LONG time to get comfortable enough with the handling to make the effect look truly magical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:22 pm 
born to perform.

TheCaffeinator wrote:
One question: When is this performance supposed to take place? The Zombie Ball is not something you can pick up and "master" in a few days. it takes a LONG time to get comfortable enough with the handling to make the effect look truly magical.

it doesnt take a LONG time to master..i got it down within a day good enough to make it magical and after a week i got an awesome routine for it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:19 pm 
Penguin

magic_reza wrote:
TheCaffeinator wrote:

it doesnt take a LONG time to master..I got it down within a day good enough to make it magical and after a week I got an awesome routine for it...

No you didn't.

Maybe you got it down good enough to make it look believable, but mastering it? No way. I have been working on the zombie for the past six months. Does it look good? definitely. Could I probably go out and perform it and get a very nice reaction from the crowd. Again, almost surely yes. But have I mastered it? No, and I probably never will.

The zombie is a classis, and should be treated as such, I don't do much stage, but the few that I can do has a ton of blood, sweat, tears and sweet, sweet time incested into it.

My zombie isn't ready. It's ready to be shown, but not PRESENTED. It's a showpiece, and perhaps THE most interesting small scale levitation there will ever be. Nothign is worse than going out there and giving a masterpiece a half assed performance.

so maybe you can DO the zombie, but you can't PERFORM the zombie. In fact, very few people (if any) ahve truly MASTERED the zombie. Tommy Wonder, Al Schneider, Losander, and even then it's debatable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:43 am 
Site Admin

I second the previous posters thoughts. Even a month is too little time to try and learn it smoothly with music and choreograhy. I have one and am still not comfortable with performing it for a show and have practiced on and off for 2 months. Some resources have been given, also Tim Wrights' The Zombie DVD is good and Al Schneider has a nice little routine which he teaches on a CD in PDF format.
I would try to find something else to perform.