View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:51 pm 
born to perform.

I do a lot of stage as well. Mostly everything is covered, and other people in these forums are hobbiests and can't afford the stage props, like some of us.

Post subject: More money more problems
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:22 am 
Penguin

I find that alot of wanna be stage/parlor magicians always think that buying the biggest illusions or effects are the key to a great show.
Thats farthest from the truth. Some of the best shows I've ever seen (Bill Mccomb, Whit Hayden and Gazzo) don't have large illusions. Its the performance.
I personally don't do a show with a trick that costs over 100 dollars. But the show is great and I've always received nothing but praise.
This leads its self into all types of magic as well. Not just Stage. Wanna be close up performers think that they have to do all these crazy slights and card manipulation. But real performers know that its the story, presetnation, interaction and connection with the crowd that gets you tips, gigs and applause.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:17 pm 
Penguin

Ive seen only 3 magic shows in my life.
The first one was when i was in first grade almost 10 years ago. I dont remember it that well but i remember him doing the rope routine and some candle into rose thing. He was the first person ive ever seen do magic, thats why i like magic today. If he happened to be on this board like a lot of magicians are. My thanks go out to you! It was in michigan so if your a magician in michigan and remember doing shows 10 years ago let me know.

My second show i saw was at my aunts company party. I he used rabits and doves. That was the first time I saw animals in magic, it was very exciting to watch. So if any of you are wondering what kids would like in a show, its animal magic. I was nine or ten years old when i saw that by the way.

My third show was about 2 years ago. I was thirteen (15 now). It was a magic show at cedarpoint a magician named Tim Hill. (BHBowHunter reminded me of him when he said he had a contract with a theme park.) He used flash paper which i loved being the pyro i am. He had a box hanging from the ceiling and he made someones dollar from the audience end up in the box. And one of the coolest effects was the pad of paper that he had and he drew the card that an audience member had on paper and then the drawing "came to life" and rose out of the pad of paper. (If someone knows where that trick is sold let me know :D )

Well thats all the stage magic ive seen. Stage magic is great. Hopefully more of you guys will get involved with it because its a good side job but also will give people great memories

Post subject: Re: More money more problems
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:07 am 
Penguin

space_ghost15 wrote:
I find that alot of wanna be stage/parlor magicians always think that buying the biggest illusions or effects are the key to a great show.
Thats farthest from the truth. Some of the best shows I've ever seen (Bill Mccomb, Whit Hayden and Gazzo) don't have large illusions. Its the performance.
I personally don't do a show with a trick that costs over 100 dollars. But the show is great and I've always received nothing but praise.
This leads its self into all types of magic as well. Not just Stage. Wanna be close up performers think that they have to do all these crazy slights and card manipulation. But real performers know that its the story, presetnation, interaction and connection with the crowd that gets you tips, gigs and applause.
Yes, I agree. You don't have to spend a hundred or more dollars on a trick to have a great show. Most of my tricks are under a hundred dollars and they've been successful shows.

But, as David Copperfield and others have shown, tricks in the hundreds and thousands of dollars are also successful (and often, the most successful, but not all the time).

But I must add that while I agree that the presentation, etc... helps get you noticed (a reputation), so does the trick if it is really great. In fact, for me, the trick (magic) is #1 in my shows. I make sure the trick stands out with a routine that accomplishes this.

I want people to remember me through the magic, but a proper routine significantly helps me accomplish this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:57 pm 

Everyone who does stage, Doesnt post here. Doesn't mean it's dead. Actually, for the most part, When I get calls to do a show or gig w.e, 70% of the time, I am asked to do something infront of Many people at once rather then a walkaround *mingle* type situation. People actually want some of each.

Now, Some wouldnt consider it stage but, If your doing a show, with a set of acts, infront of an audience *all eyes on you* I consider that stage. Or parlour. You may not have a fancy Curtain or Drapes but, hey.

So, Stage hasn't gone anywhere.