View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Street Magic effect on stage?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:57 pm 
Penguin

Can anyone help me think up of a good street magic effect ( such as a good card ending) for the stage?

I am not looking for how to do the trick, or where to buy a trick, i am requesting if someone has any good ideas for the END of a trick, something that will blow the spectators away, like makeing a giant card appear of the spec. card, but uh.. better?

I hope this isn't to confusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:56 pm 
Penguin

I have heard a story that Blackstone Sr would do a coin vanish for a full auditorium and get a round of applause. He would do this for one person on stage with him and it was their reaction to the magic that would produce the appreciation.

So, on that note, why not do a card through window effect? Have one person select a card and a couple of others hold a window. Now, with flying cards and the card penetration of the glass, their reaction to the effect will sell to the audience. Or perhaps a signed card into bottle? That would give them something to take home too... and show their friends and other audience members after the show.

In the long run, whatever you decide upon, you must present it so whoever is on stage with you, their reaction will sell to the audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:23 am 
Emperor Penguin

If you have Canz by Kevin Parker, you can modify the effect so it works very well on stage. This is something that I have used to end shows (not a stage show yet though). But I usually end with saying something like, "Performing really makes me thirsty." Then I just do Canz, hand out two of the produced ones, and then go back to my bag, do a quick clean up (takes less then a minute), put my bag on, and then open up my can. I then thank everyone, and that's the show.

I've also expiermented with doing a card manipulation routine at the end of my show, where I throw the last card out into the audience. I then thank them and that's the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:00 am 
born to perform.

Location: Location Location... Always the most important thing
you can always do a rising card effect, or "Further than that" which is on Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles DVD I believe volume 2.

You'll need a projector if its a large audience...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:52 pm 
Penguin

These are all really great ideas! Thank you very much! It really helps out!

I have a really large deck of cards, (which is like a foot by 6 inches or so.)

Maybe a card rising effect like that? But otherwise, I now have other ideas formulating, Thank you very much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:53 pm 
born to perform.

Best of luck for that performance "Mr_Benny"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:15 am 
Penguin

Thanks for your help!

I think I have decided on doing something really quick and instead of the actual tricks, I'll go for presentation.

Could you evaluate how this sounds for me?

I am thinking of doing two tricks. First a cut and restored rope.
I call someone onstage to help me out with this and I throw a piece of rope around there neck. "For Measurement" I say. While Doing so I explain to the audience that I will cut off two equal ends of the rope. IN doing so, I swing the scissors forward And cut the rope and walk forward while going on with the trick. A couple seconds later I stop to gasps and turn around to see that I cut his tie in half too! So embaressed I take The Rope and the tie in pieces and throw them in a paper bag. Explainging how sometimes tricks go wrong but Not To worry! I have another!

I go on to invite another person up for a card trick. HAve them pick a card and look in their pocket. But it is not there! Then I go through the deck and fail to locate it a couple of times.....

I go on to say well, I may just mess up another trick I try, So I am going to go back and correct my mistakes. I grab the paper bag with the rope and tie in it, and also throw the deck of cards in. I ask the person if he would like his tie fixed, and asked the spectator what their card was. I reopen the bag and first pull out the tie now fixed, and begin to pull out the rope, but as a surprise, the rope has tied around the spectator's card! Go on to say a witty ending (any suggestions?)

So how does that sound? Is it to confusing? or is it good for a small 5 minute act or so?

-Benjamin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:31 pm 
born to perform.

Ben, it sounds good, but its a little confusing when you typed it.

Always remember to be funny, entertaining, and spontanious. You dont want the audience to know what you are going to do. Mix up your performance patter so they dont know what to expect.

Best in your performances...
-magicman135

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:31 am 
Penguin

Thank you!