View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stage show, Problem with two magicians, NEED Help
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:07 pm 
Penguin

My friend and I, both magicians for about 5 years, have been performing birthday parties together and we are about to perform a stage show for a fairly large audience. We have always had problems with this but I believe it will become more evident if we do a stage show. The problem is us switching off tricks. I don't want to do a trick then stand back and watch him do his trick. Now we do interact with each other's patter however, do you guys have any suggestions for tricks or routines that constantly involve both of us? Sorry for the long post.
Thanks,
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:16 pm 
Emperor Penguin

What type of effects do you do now? It may be possible to involve both of you in the presentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:54 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Don't stand back and watch. Develop a way to interact with each other. There are very few successful duos in magic, simply because most magicians want the spotlight for themselves, or they don't know anyone else with their passion.

Look at some of the duos: Penn and Teller or Sigfreid and Roy (pre-attack). What makes them great? Their ability to play off of each others strengths. You and your friend should look for the commonality you share.

Are you both funny? Try adding some slapstick ala Stooges or Laurel & Hardy. Is only one of you funny? Maybe one could be the straight man while the other plays for laughs.

In other words, try to find a way to work together. A magic team could be highly entertaining, while two seperate magicians might just make for a long show.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:28 am 
Team Penguin

you could always interact and then go behind the curtain or backdrop till he is finished and then have him repeat slightly differently

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:25 pm 
Penguin

Try a little mentalism in it. You could have it where a spectator is up on stage and while one of you is turned around, the spectator chooses something (say out of a choice of 5) and you guys would have to develop some type of way to reveal/communicate the chosen object w/o the audience catching on. You could always switch places afterwards and re-perform it, but differently since there are so many methods. It's a simple routine that I have had other 13-16 year old's learn and perform effectively.... and in just minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:14 pm 
Penguin

Thanks guys, for the replies. Yes, we do use some comedy between us. We are still working on the show to make more interaction occur. Any suggestions on interactions during my Amazing rope trick (Comedy in its self, rope comes out sleeve, both pant legs, and then my boxers come out with the end of the rope.) This is about the only kink left in the show I was planning on it being the closer ( oops gotta go, put my boxers back on ) But what do you guys think. Thanks again for all the help, It is very appreciated.
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:24 pm 
Penguin

The rope trick is a nice closer. What if you were to do a simple cut and restored rope and you stage partner said once it was done HEY, I SEE HOW YOU DID THAT, IT IS UP YOUR SLEEVE!
This could bring a little fun banter by play with the both of you. Then your partner asks the audience how many believe it went up your sleeve... this now involves all of them... He/She then goes over to you and starts to pull the rope from your sleeve, to the other sleeve, to the pant leg, to the other leg and finaly the boxers out. This final trick would involve the BOTH of you and the audience laughing and applauding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:31 pm 
Penguin

Thanks Khuldrin that is a great transition into the trick. I will really consider adding this into the show. Thanks,
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:43 pm 
Penguin

Do a D'lite sequence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:55 pm 
Penguin

watch penn and teller and you will find ideas :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:19 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys, I thought I would give you an update. The show went off completely successful and my friend and I had a blast. Khuldrin, your idea worked really well and was the perfect transition into my effect. Thanks again for all the input,
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:44 pm 
born to perform.

You can do a very funny "mentalism" effect. Have your friend pretent to be an audience partner then do all this mentalist stuff, then at the end of this little routine announce that hes your friend in some way. Be creative!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:54 pm 
Penguin

Grats on a well done show. Am also happy that the effect worked well for you on the rope. BTW have a safe holiday.