View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Quality magic trick... $100.00 and up?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:08 pm 
Penguin

I've read often times, people saying you only really get quality magic tricks for $100.00 and up. I disagree.

With $100.00 and up tricks, you can be almost 100% sure you will get quality in the trick (as with less than $100.00 and especially less than $50.00, you might get alot of cheap plastic stuff or cheaper made stuff), but you can still often get very high quality tricks for less than $100.00.

Example, there are many card tricks such as the famous Billy McComb card trick or 'stratosphere' kid/family trick that is quality, yet less than $100.00. In fact, the Billy McComb card trick is less than $50.00.

I would say that when you get to $70.00 and up, you can pretty much be sure that the trick is good quality. I have several tricks between $70.00 and $99.99 and every one of them is very good quality.

But tricks at even less than $50.00 can be great. Even a few less than $20.00 have great quality, especially some card ones because you can't get more real (higher quality) than real cards and real cards are what is usually/always used in card tricks, including the stage jumbo card tricks.

Again, this is upon my findings. I'm curious on what others think.

Last edited by sneak on Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:16 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Never heard that before. I think in the long run price doesnt mean a thing.

things that cost alot can be crappy and things that are cheap can be great.

Just because its exspensive doesnt mean it will be great or even good quality, granted thats what most will expect, but that doesnt stop people from selling low quality products for a nice chunk of change.

I usually base quality on reviews and the company that made them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:25 pm 
Penguin

I've read this in 'people's' trick reviews on various sites.

But I agree with you, you can get quality tricks at pretty much any price. On the norm, the more expensive would usually mean a more assurance that you are getting a higher/high quality, but any price can work.

And it's not so much what we (as magicians) think when we get the trick (you know, 'it's just plastic, this isn't gonna work that well), yet you perform the trick and you blow people away.

The same with the disapperaing card case. It's usually just made out of cardboard and feels really cheap (magician's mind) but when you perform it for an audience, it blows them away.

We should always look through the eyes of the spectator when we look at our tricks because all they usually see is a high quality, mind-blowing trick (regardless if it's a $5.00 trick or a $500.00 trick).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:30 pm 
born to perform.

i can't remember the name of it, but it was $100 and was a mentilisum trick and was ripped of a $20 trick.and wasn't good quality so i disagree with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:24 pm 
Penguin

You can't disagree with me!

I said in the 'norm' you can expect a higher quality. However, I didn't say always and you only gave me one trick to go with where it wasn't good for the $100.00 or so. I know there's some bad ones that are expensive. And some tricks less than $100.00 are better than many tricks that are hundreds of dollars.

At the moment, the majority of my tricks are less than $100.00.