View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: from the streets to the stage..
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:15 pm 
Penguin

ok, first of all i want to state that i know nothing of stage magic. i do close up magic with cards, coins, okito box, etc.. you get the idea. :) but im starting to gain interest in stage magic. i know that performing stage magic and close up magic is totally different. thing is i really don't know where to start. i was wondering if you guys could list out a few illusions that would be good for some one starting out with stage magic and what videos to watch or books to read. thanks in advance. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:44 pm 
Emperor Penguin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yw7oX5C ... ed&search=

Here is a lesson in presentation over effect. The presentation is what sells this set of effects and makes it one of the best routines I have ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:55 am 
born to perform.

magikrn wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yw7oX5CXhk&mode=related&search=

Here is a lesson in presentation over effect. The presentation is what sells this set of effects and makes it one of the best routines I have ever seen.

Oh...my...dear...Lord....That was hilarious!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:04 am 
Emperor Penguin

magikrn wrote:

That was awesome. I don't really know what else to say. That presentation is so creative and original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:15 am 
born to perform.

magikrn wrote:

That was great.

~Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:43 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Magikrn made a great point. It's not about the props you have, but how you present your effects. Personally, I don't do any large illusions anymore. I stick to comedy magic, and I pack very small. I have one case that holds all of my props.

Check out some of Lance Burton's stuff, and Jeff McBride. They do use some larger illusions; however, they also do a lot of manipulation. They can pack small, but play big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:15 pm 
born to perform.

fallingblood wrote:
Magikrn made a great point. It's not about the props you have, but how you present your effects. Personally, I don't do any large illusions anymore. I stick to comedy magic, and I pack very small. I have one case that holds all of my props.

Check out some of Lance Burton's stuff, and Jeff McBride. They do use some larger illusions; however, they also do a lot of manipulation. They can pack small, but play big.

Jeff McBride is becoming one of my favorite magicians. The energy he uses and the way he uses up the whole stage is beautiful. He really is artistic when performing magic. zephyrcyrus, check out some videos of Jeff McBride. He doesn't talk in a lot of them, yet still has the audience laughing. Especially in his Miser's Dream video. Be sure to look at that on youtube!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:33 am 
Penguin

magikrn wrote:

Great video, but it's not always that way (or have to be). That is, presentation over effect.

The number 1 thing a person usually remembers after a magic show is, in fact, the 'effect.' I believe the effect and presentation go hand in hand, not one over the other.

The effects are important as Lance Burton and Jeff McBride show. Some could be large illusions while others could be card manipulations, but all the tricks they perform are of the highest caliber, no 'fillers.' This shows they put a large amount of their efforts into the tricks.

But presentation is important because between tricks (and even often during the performance of tricks), you need to fill up time or else your show will only be 5-15 minutes long. Look at Mac King, for example. Some neat effects, but he fills up a lot of the space with comedy. Lance Burton, on the other hand, uses 100% pure class which often uses some comedy in it, but class is what comes to mind.

I'd recommend to find the best mind blowing effects you can and create a routine (presentation) that allows these tricks to flow together in a great and entertaining way. You may even want to think of a routine first and add great effects that will work with your routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:59 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Sneak- I have to disagree with wanting to have the best mind blowing effects. It becomes way too much. Pyschologically, you're overwhelming them with so much, so the show isn't as spectactular.

I think Paddy describes how to put a show together the best.
Quote:
OK, you rate each effect by the WOW factor on a scale of 1 to 10. That is based on YOUR performance, do these get a 1 to 10 rating.

Then set up your act start with a 5, followed by a 3, then another 5, a 7, and a 9. That way you start BIG, drop a little then build up so that you leave them ALWAYS WANTING MORE! Never end with your 10, always just a little below it so they want more.

This is how all professionals lay out the act.
Now, this doesn't mean you have to have 5 effects to perform. But the basics are there. You don't overwhelm the audience, but they get a great show. And they end up wanting more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:27 pm 
born to perform.

A conclusion I made a while ago: The effect is what the audience remembers and tells their friends about. The presentation is what makes them remember it and want to do this.

If you hear someone talking about a magician, they'll likely just say what the effect was ("he made a dove appear"). If they are really amazed at the effect and the magician had outstanding presentation, then they will tell people about the presentation and the effect, as if they were one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:52 pm 
born to perform.

Well I kind of agree with fallingblood and sneak, but I also disagree with you both a little. If you rate tricks on a scale of 1-10, then I think your show should go as follows:

9, 7, 9, 10, 20

Thats how I feel about a show, go above and beyond as much as possible, but you also have to balance the effects in relation to one another to make the show flow correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:36 am 
Penguin

When I watch the big shots of magic (I say this in a good way), I see mindblowing trick after mindblowing trick to be the norm. After watching these shows, I feel filled (that is, I got enough magic where I'm really satisfied and often overwhelmed). It gives me something to think about after I finish watching the show rather than just, "hey, it was good but I want more." Yes, I want more because it was so great, but I'm also satisfied with what I got, for the time, that is.

But here is the key to wanting more in relation to the above, "being filled," (the 'wanting more' which is very important because they enjoyed your show and will try to see you again or perhaps even hire you). A little after the show and after I've had time to think back at the effects, guess what? I want more. I want to see more of what this guy or gal can do. Because I was so entertained and enjoyed myself, I want that again. And I'll be checking hard to find when this person is performing again. Or perhaps, hire the person myself for some event.

Abd btw, this wanting more often and usually does happen when the show ends, but it doesn't have to be immediate. It could be where members of the audience will ask when you perform again because they'd like to see another performance, maybe bring more friends/family out the next time. I've often done this straight after a show because we all want this experience again. But I find it usually kicks in after a few days becuase it's really sunk in at how much you enjoyed it and that you want it again (like I said above).

I aim to have every trick on a scale of 8-10, all 10 if possible. I like to start with a 10 (9 at the least) in order to 'hook' them, that is , get their attention that there will be some real cool stuff in the show. Throughout, I don't want to lose their attention and so I keep the tricks at the higher end of the scale. And I try to end the show with a 10 (usually my #1 trick) so they will really remember the show. End in a very high point.

And of course, a strong presentation helps keep their attention and brings out the most of the effects. Effects are like a beautiful drawn black and white picture. It's nice on it's own, but when the artist (magician) adds color (presentation) to the picture (effect), he/she brings the picture/effect to it's highest.

I believe in giving the best presentation as possible as many of you do, but I also believe in giving them the best effects as possible. So, give them the best of both worlds and they'll get your best show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:56 pm 
Penguin

thanks for th4e advice. i found some one who has a video of jeff mcbride live i n las vegas. he said the video teaches the routine so i guess i could try that out, right? or would that be too much?