View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Talent show
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:29 pm 
Verified VIP

So I decided to enter into a talent show at my college a few weeks ago...Binghamton University, against about 50 other groups/performers. It was much like America's got talent, where there were 5 places to perform and the top 3 from each place perform at the finale. Anyway, I made it to the finale last Friday after doing an 8 minute act. I ended up coming in top 3 in the finale, where everyone could perform for 5 minutes. Since I made it to the top 3, it meant that I had to perform again for 3 minutes at the end of the show. I ended up coming in first place, which was pretty cool. Now comes my question...

This was my first stage performance, although it worked out great because they had cameras and projectors, so i could perform pretty much anything. Part of the prize is that I have to perform at a semi-pro baseball game. They will have a camera on me and I will be on the jumbo screen. Does anyone have any ideas for tricks I would be able to do?

i have 15 minutes to perform inbetween games. baseball tricks would be good in anyone has any ideas on that

here are some that I was thinking about:

copperfield arm twist ( to get the whole crowd into it)

greg wilson's paper balls over head...but with baseballs. I will perform this for a kid/kids that will be on the field with me and maybe have a player catch the balls

fiber optics (richard sanders rope trick)

enchanted cube (rubix cube)

compacted ( card to impossible location...in a cd case between to cd's that are rubber banded together)- i would use a deck of baseball cards and have someone sign the baseball card

dissapearing beer bottle ( there will be drinkers in the crowd)

maybe the bubble gum stretching contest with a few kids

the baffling bra, to a player... when the bra appears, i will ask him if it helps his swing

maybe the jubmo mccombical deck

sponge balls might be good and get some good childrens reacions so the audience will feed off of that...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing magic for a long time, and know a lot of tricks, but again I usually to walk around and stand up. Thank you all!

-Jeff Kaylor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:47 am 
Penguin

Knot A Chance. Great effect to perform with a kid between 8-12 yet fools everybody adult and kid alike. And can be performed surrounded so no angles to worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:46 pm 
Penguin

Just a few tricks to throw out here, so might suit you, others will not, but this is what I use for my normal kids show stage act which is practically angle-proof except for an areal angle problem with the finale (but it's not like you will have helicopters flying over your head recording you, but just in case, I would recommend against using my finale.

1. Fantasio appearing cane
2. Linking rings
3. PB&J Illusion
4. Blooming flower to silk
5. Paper hat tear (if the event is outside I skip this however as it is just too hard to perform in the sunlight and wind without the spectators seeing a difference in the...paper. People who know the trick will know what I mean.)
6. Cut and restored rope using a change bag as to use my breakaway wand gag.
7. Square Circle Illusion with the finale of that being candy thrown to everyone.

Hope that gives you at least one angle-proof effect to think about, maybe even two!

Wishing you luck,
~Magically Dave