View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Talent Show
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:02 am 
Penguin

Hi
I'm going to be in a talent show at my school in a little less than a month. I'm not a new magician, so i am not worried much about it. I just want to ask what you think of my routine

The Routine will start with Raining Blood (a lot of energy in the beginning) by Slayer playing. I will walk out on stage with my dove pan and torch to rose in my hands. I will then remove my lighter fluid from my pocket and simultaneously drench the torch and fill the pan. I will then light the torch, play with the fire then ignite the dove pan before transforming the flame into a rose. Then i will run my hand through the fire in the pan and then cover it wit the lid, uncovering it there will be my first dove. My assistant will walk on stage (wearing a dove scarf) and take dove one. I will take her scarf and produce dove 2. She will take the birds off stage and i will signal the music to stop. At that point i will introduce myself and start my next trick, either Pk touches or the thrown out deck (i'm leaning towards pk touches). I will finish up with Mark Wilson's Applause Card.

Any comments will be very much appreciated :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:35 am 
born to perform.

It sounds pretty cool. I am struggling, however, to feel the flow of the performance. Is it possible to get a practise video up?
?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:26 pm 
born to perform.

Yeah, the dove stuff sounds cool, but it takes more than "cool" to make a good performance. There's no coherence to the rest of routine at all.

What does producing doves have to do with Tossed-Out Deck, PK Touches, etc.? How does the ability to produce doves suggest or connect to the idea that you can read minds or make someone feel they are being touched? Just stringing together a bunch of things that you can do simply because you can do them does not necessarily make for a strong performance.

I'm just not a fan of the "Hey, look! I'm a magic guy who can do a bunch of random stuff!" style of performance, especially when the random stuff includes things so disparate and disconnected as a dove production and a tossed-out deck.

Reminds me of that old Saturday Night Live skit:

"Shimmer! It's a floor wax... and a dessert topping!"

Last edited by TheCaffeinator on Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:27 pm 
Penguin

the only piece of advice i can think of is it soun ds like it could be an OK routine its just that you need to make sure the school is ok with using fire. They will have fire alarms that are linked up to the fire depot usually (and it is common practice that they get fined for false calls) Check with the staff that it is OK to us fire, otherwise you may end up with a heafty bill on your hands. Schools can be really picky about this kind of thing so just be careful

(this once happened to me where working in a theatre company touring in schools I was informed that the alarms were turned off during our performance where there was someone fire eating - this was not true as the alarm sounded, the building had to be evacuated and we wern't to happy! Especially when they tried to place the fine on us - which i refused saying they told us the fire alarm was off)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:53 pm 
Penguin

I already asked about the fire and the doves, they said it was okay, thanks though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:59 pm 
Penguin

I did my above routine, only with with the song Sonne by Rammstein. I decided on using the thrown out deck, and completely cut out the last trick. I got 2nd place and 50 bucks! :) YAY. Thanks for the tips everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:13 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Do you have a video? I'm just asking because the first part of the routine seems interesting.