View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Outfiting a Suit and Tophat.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:48 am 
Penguin

Well, I've got, or am getting a suite, tophat, and possibly waist-coat. I'm going to be wearing with it sandals and Cargo pants of some kind, because I find the looseness of them great when it comes to storing coins and other small objects.

So, what are some tricks and things I can do the my suite and hat so that I can pop off trick after trick.

I've thought about the coin-in-tie disappearance.
The one where you put rubberbands down your sleeve and safety pin it to your inside sleeve, so that when you let go of it it flies back into the sleeve.(I said sleeve a lot in this description. Now I feel redundant.)
Definitely the match produced from under the lapel.

But I'm having a bit of trouble finding some other stuff.

I might try and get a raven, but I'm performing on the Third and I don't know when I will get it, or where I will get the cash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:40 am 
born to perform.

I'm sorry...top-hat and sandals?
and I'm pretty sure that your post contains exposure. Read the forum rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:59 am 
Team Penguin

Top hat and sandals does sound funny, but if it fits his style and character, then it will do just fine. Don't be so judgemental of how other people dress for their act unless their costume makes absolutley no relevence to their performance style and or act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:37 pm 
Penguin

My shoes really don't make a difference.

But I'm performing at my church and I doubt any of them have ever seen me in a pair of shoes, so if I come up in one, they'll do the whole questiony "You have a trick that needs shoes?" type thing.

The Top hat is like 1800s style, I haven't gotten my suit yet though.

But yeah. The top hat is also a bit too big.

It was sitting in the back of my Theater's costume room and our teacher-type guy said I could have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:51 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Amazing_Kylini wrote:
My shoes really don't make a difference.

But I'm performing at my church and I doubt any of them have ever seen me in a pair of shoes, so if I come up in one, they'll do the whole questiony "You have a trick that needs shoes?" type thing.
Actually shoes do make a difference, especially with women. You wear crappy shoes, and people will take that into consideration. People take in your whole appearance, including shoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:08 pm 
Penguin

Well, I think it'd be a bit comical.

Everyone is used to seeing my in sandals, I come up there with a fancy pair to match my outfit.

I don't think I own a pair of shoes..

Hmm..

I think the last time I had them was for Freshman wellness, about a year ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:30 pm 
Team Penguin

If you want to be comical, then go for it...if not, then it is time you invest in a pair of shoes...I believe that shoes are one of the single most important part of a costume. Forest Gump was right when he said "You can tell a lot about a person by the kind of shoes they wear". Shoes represent your character and your professionalism. I have certain shoes I wear for different charcters and performances that I do, and would have it no other way!

Your church group knows you as Kyle the person, not Kyle the magician, when you show up in full attire, it will impress them and they will think of you differently as you perform. If you didn't want to change the image they already have you, then you might as well just show up in the clothes you normally wear to church.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:03 pm 
Penguin

Well, I'm interested in the suit because of the loose-fitting-ness and the fact that there are a load of tricks based around a suit.

My dad has a pair of shoes he'll lone me though.

But yeah, for the final trick, I've got a plant, who is going to pick a card that I tell him to, and I've got a duplicate card taped under a speaker in the sound booth(You've got to see how my youth room is set up) so he'll show everyone, then I'll look through the deck and try to find it, I'll pretend like I cant, then I'll do the whole "Dang, it screwed up" sigh thing, then I'll say "Hey, Tyler, could you check under the speaker for me?"(Tyler is our sound guy) and he'll pull it out and show everyone.

How does it sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:27 pm 
born to perform.

Amazing_Kylini wrote:
But I'm performing at my church and I doubt any of them have ever seen me in a pair of shoes,

I doubt they've ever seen you in a top-hat.

As for you speaker trick...its okay...?
Im not a fan of stooges but hey if it works for you..roll with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:35 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Why not use a force instead? That seems a lot easier then using an unnecessary stooge. I have no problem with stooges, if you can't get around it, but in this case, there simply is no reason to have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:26 am 
Penguin

I have practiced it a gillion times with a force, and the only one I know well enough to do on stage is the Hindu force I think, so it will look really hokie to say, "Pick the top one"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:45 am 
born to perform.

Amazing_Kylini wrote:
I have practiced it a gillion times with a force, and the only one I know well enough to do on stage is the Hindu force I think, so it will look really hokie to say, "Pick the top one"

I think you underestimate the hindu force. You may think it looks "hokie" but to a layman it looks like they caught a look of a card while you were shuffling. There are plenty of simple and deceptive forces that are undetectible. Crosscut is a really easy one and with the right timing is uncatchable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:04 am 
Penguin

Hmm..

I'll give it a go.

Test it on someone.

But currently I've got a stooge.

Now all I need is a lovely assistant.