View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: delete
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:07 pm 
Penguin

delete

Last edited by Frymus on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

www.themagiccafe.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:12 pm 
Penguin

nvm

Last edited by Frymus on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:16 pm 
born to perform.

Most illusions that are sold as plans also include a copyright stating that you can't build the illusion for the expressed purpose of selling it - so there aren't alot of people who build illusions custom - since doing so professionally may constitute manufacturing.

To give you a lead: fallingblood here on Penguin. Tell him I sent you. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:24 pm 
Penguin

nvm

Last edited by Frymus on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:14 am 
born to perform.

Frymus wrote:
well, what about the illusions that are for sale in plans?
like in the osborne illusion plans?

Re-read my post slowly. I just answered your question.

I want to have somethin built from there. But a little added stuff to make it look better. -- Thats what i dont understand. If i have the plans to build an illusion (Example, crystal casket, does that mean that enyone can build it for me, or do i STILL HAVE to buy the performance rights before i build it?) or am i allowed since i have the plans?

Buying the plans gives YOU the right to build it. It doesn't necessarilly give someone else the rights to build it and sell it to you (hence why the plans likely say "Not meant for manufacturing"). Talk to fallingblood and see what he knows about such rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:31 am 
Emperor Penguin

I used to build and desgin props and escape illusions, some for sale and some by order and of course some for myself.
But havent done so in a while.
I did charge a rather 'decent' fee, it wasnt free. Any real craftsman wont be cheap.

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:40 am 

Back to the Magic Cafe thing, there is a forum called "The Workshop" where builders hang out swapping tips and stories. You don't need an account or search abilities to browse that forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:58 am 
Emperor Penguin

Custom woodwork or metalwork is not going to be cheap. Ever.

That is why 99% of all houses being built these days use pre-manufactured cabinets/vanities/shelving/etc. Mass produced using laminated MDF (not actual wood) by machine, assembled by you or the installer.

You can pay $2000 for your kitchen cabinets, or you can hire a professional cabinet maker for upwards of $15000. It's a skilled trade that is not in demand, and only the wealthy (or those with credit to burn) can afford.

Custom metal workers are in the same boat. Probably cost you a little less in time, and materials (depending on what you will be using), but still not cheap. Welders typically earn WELL over $25/hr. in most areas of Canada. But can go beyond $50/hr. so you'd probably best be looking to find an amateur welder as in illusions, you're not having a pressure vessel built. Quality of weld is not an issue as long as the contraption is not going to fall apart and kill you.

But the best advice I can give you, is if you're able to use the tools needed to build the illusion yourself, do it. The only major problem the layperson trying to do a skilled craft like woodworking can get into in terms of quality work, is not taking his/her time.

I've built a number of wood projects. Actually, a ton of DIY home renovations, and wood working projects. Every single one that I did not take my time on, and did not make the precise measurements, turned out junk. Anything that I slowed down, and took my time with. Didn't rush, made the proper measurements, started a piece over because it was cut too short, etc, turned out great. With the exception of paint jobs. Heh. If you want a quality paint job, get someone that knows what they're doing.

To sum it up.....
Anytime you say, "meh, it's good enough" during your project, it will turn out garbage in the end. You can't have every joint, and measurement be only "good enough" and still look good when you're done. And the only way it's going to be good enough, and not perfect is when you do not take your time.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:55 pm 
Penguin

Frymus, check out magicauctions.com for fairly low priced illusions. Fyi, Doug Henning started out with cardboard and tin signs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:24 pm 
born to perform.

fire_n_drummer wrote:
Frymus, check out magicauctions.com for fairly low priced illusions. Fyi, Doug Henning started out with cardboard and tin signs.

Tin signs? Aren't we the big spender?

On the other side - everyone loves cardboard and PVC. magicnook.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:25 pm 
born to perform.

Check out snapillusions.com. They build good illusions, and are EXTREMELY affordable. You will pay about $1800.00 for an illusion that would cost you $4000 elsewhere. They custom build, and are fast, too. They say it may take up to 8 weeks, but they usually get it out in 5-6. AND they offer free shipping to the U.S. Not sure about Canada. They are based in Indianapolis and I HIGHLY recommend them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:11 pm 
born to perform.

Try building something on a small scale yourself and then go from there. You might be surprised by how much yuo enjoy making illusions.

My husband loves making things for our daughter. His first "big" project was Dennis Loomis' Dollhouse plans. We personally know Dennis and he told us the finished house would cost us about $10k if we had to purchase it 'as built'. My husband likes to go into details. Our cost was about $1,500-2000.00, and a lot of time. It is beautiful though.

For most of it you just need to invest a lot of time. He's has just completed an oversized version of Mark Wilson's Alakazam Hat with a customized banner with her name and a matching table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:34 pm 
born to perform.

You can get plans on Abbots also,
I say build them yourself, it may take a week, a month, but good things are long to make/ create.
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:38 am 
Team Penguin

Dont expect this to be a cheap job. i suggest just putting an add in the newspaper, around town, on forums ect. if you can design it, you can do it. home depot helps you alot when you ask for stuff. they can probably help if you dont mind them knowing the secret. when i had my production screen made, and appearing guitar box, i just handed them the sheet with dimensions and they cut it and everthing for me and told me where to get everything. i hired a guy to come and put it together. it was like a puzzle.