View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Grand Illusion
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:34 pm 
Penguin

I haven't posted on here much lately. BUT, I was looking for some large illusions such as sub trunk, cubed, cutting in 1/2, etc.

There are always some advertisers in "MUM" and "The Christian Conjurer", but I'm at work today, and all my magazines are at home.

Can anyone give me some online sources? Today? Tomorrow, I'll be at home and can find them.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:27 am 
Penguin

Do you have it worked out as to how you'll store, transport and promote a show like this? It gets expensive. Too often when someone gets into illusions, the skills to present them aren't there, either. Do you have a good reason to get into illusions? Most "illusionists" don't understand their craft - they try to run before they can crawl. For most, smaller props are the way to go.

I'm getting into illusions more, but that's because the time has come to do it and I'm prepared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:18 pm 
Penguin

AlanMunro wrote:
Do you have it worked out as to how you'll store, transport and promote a show like this? It gets expensive. Too often when someone gets into illusions, the skills to present them aren't there, either. Do you have a good reason to get into illusions? Most "illusionists" don't understand their craft - they try to run before they can crawl. For most, smaller props are the way to go.

I'm getting into illusions more, but that's because the time has come to do it and I'm prepared.

Alan,

You ask :"Do you have it worked out as to how you'll store, transport and promote a show like this?"
I will store the illusions in my "magic" building, an extra storage building I built in my back yard just for magic and videos.

I will transport them in my pick-up truck and 12' enclosed trailer.

I will promote this type of show thru my website, my local chamber of commerce, my mail-outs to churches, schools, and festival committies, and my local SAM/IBM ring advertises for all local members.

You state : "It gets expensive"
I am aware of the expense, that is why I save a large portion of my income for magic. You gotta spend money to make money.

You state : "Too often when someone gets into illusions, the skills to present them aren't there, either"
As far as "skills", I practice any effect until it's workings become second nature before I perform them for anyone. And if I find that my "skills" are not adequate, then I will take the loss, and attempt to sell the item. But I would never perform any illusion until I had it down. And I'll never know unless I give it a try.

You ask : "Do you have a good reason to get into illusions"
Yes, My reason is that I love this type of magic, and want to take my shows to the next level.

You state : "Most "illusionists" don't understand their craft - they try to run before they can crawl"
As stated above, I would never perform any illusion for anyone until I was ready. The craft is way more about entertainment than it is about the technical stuff.

You state : "For most, smaller props are the way to go"
I agree that smaller props are the way to START. I have already invested a small fortune into smaller props, books, and DVDs. Some have become part of my show, and some have not. Many items have been sold or traded without ever seeing a public performance by me. I will still use many of my "smaller props" and routines. I am not planning an entire Grand Illusion show, I'd just like to add one to my existing program for larger audiences. I'm ready to take my show to a new level.

By the way, since my original post, I have purchased a floating table. I know this isn't considered "Grand Illusion", but it is one of my largest props, along with my circus wagon, which will soon be for sale or trade so I can get Thomas Clark's "Doves to Bunny".

The table still needs alot of practice before it becomes part of my show, but it is awesome, and I am doing quite well with it, so far. I'm currently seeking the right music for it that will fit into my show, but I don't see this item being in my "for sale" pile for several years.

Just wanted to ease your mind,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:58 am 
born to perform.

"You gotta spend money to make money" that quote always gets a laugh out of me. :lol:

You have any illusions you might want to buy already in mind? Whatever you do end up getting...make sure it doesn't look like a magician's prop.

If it looks like it came from a magic store...well, you know what I'm saying.

Good luck!