View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cups and balls
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:41 am 
Penguin

Hi guys,

I wish to purchase Cups and Balls. I looked at the one from Gazzo. It's a little expensive. I also noticed that the measurements of this cup are quite big. Is this one worth buying? If not, any other one you recommend? I will be loading oranges or lemons in the final part of the performance.

Tks.

Kamal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:06 am 

Of course they're worth buying... if you'll use them. There are a few classes of cup sizes. Mini (<2" dia. Golf ball load or similar) Standard (Lacrosse ball or 2-2.5"), Large (Tennis ball 2.5-3") and Jumbo (>3", baseball or large orange).

Price increases exponentially with size as the material requirements go up rapidly. Not only in copper diameter but in thickness. The same thickness of metal in a mini cup would collapse in a jumbo.

Lemons are an adequate size load for most people. That puts you into the Standard cup size range where the prices are more reasonable. Smaller Valencia oranges can still fit, along with some juggling balls, tangerines, potatoes, etc... If you've never performed with the cups before, you can start with the Bazar de Magia and get along nicely for years. Even some of the most famous cups (Paul Fox, etc) are this size and many pros use this size for years.

Gazzo plays the trick BIG, and for that he likes the largest cups he can fit his hands around. He also has some specific needs that others may not have. For one, he had a stroke some 10 years ago and lost most of the dexterity in his left hand. He can cradle a large object in that hand and "scoop" it into the cup. This also requires working from a rather large pouch both to hold the loads and to retrieve them easily. Working balls are over an inch in diameter and requires a different skill set to manipulate. Unless you're a Renn Faire or street worker (Busker in particular, not walk around) then you can use large cups. You don't NEED them, but they're available.

I'd look seriously on what you want to do and where you want to perform before deciding on a set of cups. Otherwise you'll end up like myself and others and have a shelf full of them, making you more of a collector than performer. Of all my cups I really only use one set, but it took me a dozen purchases (most over $200) before I found the "right" cups for me. What works for you could be totally different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:21 pm 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:
Of course they're worth buying... if you'll use them. There are a few classes of cup sizes. Mini (<2" dia. Golf ball load or similar) Standard (Lacrosse ball or 2-2.5"), Large (Tennis ball 2.5-3") and Jumbo (>3", baseball or large orange).

Lemons are an adequate size load for most people. That puts you into the Standard cup size range where the prices are more reasonable. Smaller Valencia oranges can still fit, along with some juggling balls, tangerines, potatoes, etc... If you've never performed with the cups before, you can start with the Bazar de Magia and get along nicely for years. Even some of the most famous cups (Paul Fox, etc) are this size and many pros use this size for years.

Gazzo plays the trick BIG, and for that he likes the largest cups he can fit his hands around. He also has some specific needs that others may not have. For one, he had a stroke some 10 years ago and lost most of the dexterity in his left hand. He can cradle a large object in that hand and "scoop" it into the cup. This also requires working from a rather large pouch both to hold the loads and to retrieve them easily. Working balls are over an inch in diameter and requires a different skill set to manipulate. Unless you're a Renn Faire or street worker (Busker in particular, not walk around) then you can use large cups. You don't NEED them, but they're available.

Thank you Dave for your detailed reply. I am doing stage magic for children at birthday parties etc. I won't really walk around. And I feel that the cups and balls will go very well for the kids. I wouldn't mind wearing the pouch Gazzo wears and carrying the heavy fruits along. The show I do is usually for half an hour. I tried to look for Large (Tennis ball 2.5-3") Cups but couldn't find them. Does Penguin sell them? A regular orange would fit it right? I wouldn't mind buying the Jumbo ones that Gazzo sells, but am just thinking if it's a little expensive?

Kamal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:24 pm 
born to perform.

I have the Penguin Cups and I use a potato for a final load. They won't fit an orange unless it's really small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:25 am 

Keep an eye out for www.magicpitch.co.uk Once the site is up you should be able to find exactly what you're looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:18 am 
Penguin

Alryt, thanks Dave.

I looked at Gazzo's cups. It's really too big, 4.5" in diameter is seriously a little on the big side. I personally feel it will be a little too big for handling?

3" in diameter is good enough for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:19 am 
Penguin

Maloney123 wrote:
I have the Penguin Cups and I use a potato for a final load. They won't fit an orange unless it's really small.

Which one exactly do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:19 am 
born to perform.

kamalbensra wrote:
Maloney123 wrote:

Which one exactly do you have?

They are called "The Penguin Cups" and are $100.