View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bulding my routine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:35 pm 
Penguin

What's up guys?

I've been into close up for quite some time now and I want to take my magic to the next level... Stage!
I started gathering some effects together and I want to know what you guys think:

-ring flite by ronjo
-A sucker is born every minute
-some card to orange/wallet effect
- Maybe a russian roullette type-effect

Now I dont have any experience of the stage whatsoever so I was thinking that you guys could help me reach my goal.
I havnt found any Eye poppin opener yet (maybe bowl a rama, but its waay too expensive..)

If you could give me any advice.. :)

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Bulding my routine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:49 am 
born to perform.

Appearing/Vanishing canes, bowling ball briefcase, are great eye popping openers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:34 pm 
Penguin

Get the Vanishing bandana. Penguin sells a version of it and you can find other versions on other websites. It's a very funny routine that works very very and gets lots of audience reaction. Here is my favorite performance of the effecthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjywmn1EQaI

Skip ahead to 1:00. The first minute is nothing but Rachael Ray prattling on, but technically Justin's routine starts as soon as the minute is up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:01 pm 
Penguin

I would say save up for about 200 hundred dollars or soo and buy a lot of differnt stage magic stuff then find what things fit your type of stage magic. I say doing this because there is a lot of different types of stage magic.Illusions, Manipulation, Comedy ect.. Once you have found out what fits your style then buy more thngs simalar to that! For example i started out with manipulation magic, I did this because a lot of other magicians i had seen were doing it. I didnt really like it that much so i tryed comedy magic. I found out i was really good at making people laugh and now i preform comedy magic and illusion!

Just my advice,
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:32 am 
Team Penguin

coendog13 wrote:
Appearing/Vanishing canes, bowling ball briefcase, are great eye popping openers.

They're also Cliche and WAY overdone...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:17 pm 
born to perform.

Well to be honest with you, there are many tricks that are considered "stage" but are also cheesy, boring, and just plain stupid. For the most part apearing canes and rabits out of hats are boring and overdone.
The reason why pen and teller are succesful is because they are extremely unique, and you can bet your bottom dollar, IF, they ever do pull a rabbit out of a hat they will kill imediatly after, AND THE CROWD WILL LOVE IT!
So if your planning doing dove acts and what not make your style unique. Tell a story, a dirty joke, or give it some political charge, otherwise your just some tuxedo clad lowlife.

Also stage mentalism is quite poular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:46 pm 
Emperor Penguin

mchkeegan wrote:
Well to be honest with you, there are many tricks that are considered "stage" but are also cheesy, boring, and just plain stupid. For the most part apearing canes and rabits out of hats are boring and overdone.
The reason why pen and teller are succesful is because they are extremely unique, and you can bet your bottom dollar, IF, they ever do pull a rabbit out of a hat they will kill imediatly after, AND THE CROWD WILL LOVE IT!
So if your planning doing dove acts and what not make your style unique. Tell a story, a dirty joke, or give it some political charge, otherwise your just some tuxedo clad lowlife.

Once again you are wrong. The effects arent boring or stupid. Its the way the performer presents them, thats it. You either present it well or your dont.
I have seen some great and entertaining routines using appearing cane and rabbit out of hat.
You dont have to tell dirty jokes or be politicial ethier to be entertaining.. thats jst bad advice (Again). If thats not your style dont do them, dont try to force a style or presentation style.
Find what works best for you, take it, and mold it to a performace style. This isnt somethng that happens over night, it takes time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:18 pm 
born to perform.

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
mchkeegan wrote:

Once again you are wrong. The effects arent boring or stupid. Its the way the performer presents them, thats it. You either present it well or your dont.
I have seen some great and entertaining routines using appearing cane and rabbit out of hat.
You dont have to tell dirty jokes or be politicial ethier to be entertaining.. thats jst bad advice (Again). If thats not your style dont do them, dont try to force a style or presentation style.
Find what works best for you, take it, and mold it to a performace style. This isnt somethng that happens over night, it takes time.

I definitely have to agree with this. I would have thought appearing/vanishing cane was overdone and then I went to see a local Korean Magician. He had a cane routine that got him an ovation. It wasn't clear where the dancing stopped and the magic began but that was probably what made it work so well. Not my style of magic but it was great to watch.
Start with what interests you, you will likely present that material better. I started off with escapes and built a small show around that. Every once in a while I add something new that fits my theme. My stage act has just naturally evolved over the last two years. It isn't something I feel is strong enough to sell tickets to yet but when someone comes to me and asks for a benefit show for 50 to 300 people I have a show I can get ready to go with 1 or 2 weeks of equipment checks and rehearsals.