View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Patented Tricks & Illusions...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:43 am 
Penguin

It used to cost $200 per hour to have someone conduct a patent search. Now, with the internet and thanks to Google you can search them free of charge. Just go over to http://www.google.com/patents and type in something like "Tenyo" and you'll bring up everything Tenyo has ever patented and learn the complete secrets to the tricks. Note: Tenyo only patented a small number of their tricks, but they did patent more than any other magic manufacturer, I think I found two or three dozen of their tricks in the patent files.

Here are some handy tips that will save you some time when searching through the patent files for magic tricks:

1. Only a fraction of all magic tricks are patented. It costs a lot of money to hire a patent attorney and patent a trick, several thousands of dollars. Most tricks don't even come close to recooping that kind of money.

2. Almost no trick that is patented is listed by the name of the trick you see it advertised under. This can make it extremely difficult to find the patent. It's best to find out the name of the inventor and run his name through the patent search engine.

3. Let's say you run the words "stage illusion" or "levitation" through the search engine. You'll pull up a list with several hits (not all will have anything to do with magic). You find one that looks interesting and IS a magic effect. After you've viewed it make sure you scroll all the way down and you'll come to a list of patent numbers that this illusion was based on. You're likely to get ten or twenty more patented levitations, maybe a lot more.

4. Here's an example, I ran the word "levitation" and one of the hits was David Copperfield's Flying Illusion. He didn't invent it but the guy who did patented it (after all, it costs over a million dollars to build). Here's the patent number: 5,354,238 And here's the patent number for Jim Steinmeyer's Origami Illusion, also performed by Copperfield: US D345595 S

I have the patent numbers to several hundred magic tricks and illusions. I'm not sure Penguin would allow me to post them as it would lead directly to the secrets behind them.

I also enjoy looking up devices used by escape artists, handcuffs, leg irons, straight jackets, and even execution equipment.

Whatever your interest you could spend hours and practically make a hobby out of searching through the US Patent files.

http://www.google.com/patents

Last edited by swayze on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Patented Illusions...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:37 am 
Penguin

Remember that little toy car that would drive over a deck of cards that was spread out on a table and stop at the spectator's chosen card? Here's the patent for it. As with most patents for tricks and illusions the "magic" is not usually easy to grasp until you put the work in of actually reading through the technical jargon of the patent. I'm not posting these patent numbers for the sake of exposure, if you want the secrets you're going to have to work for them, I know I did.

[link removed]

I've just been e-mailed reminding me that the advertised name for this trick was the Koornwinder Kar.

Post subject: Re: Patented Tricks & Illusions...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:34 am 
Penguin

Very true, hiring a patent attorney is very costly so not all can afford it in fact only the big companies can. I found your post of searching patented products very interesting. And yes to search something you need to type in proper phrase rather than just typing your keyword as you would end up getting more of irrelevant results. click on this to find out more.

Last edited by albertjuan on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:59 pm 
Penguin

I'm debating posting hundreds of patent numbers to magic tricks. I just don't want it to be seen as an act of exposure, but for historical reference. The secrets to most of these tricks is not obvious in 98% of the cases, you really have to work at finding it by reading through the patent, which can take hours for each one, and a LOT of thinking on the part of the reader. Let me give it some more thought.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:51 am 

Please don't. If someone wants to take the time to research an effect, fine. Don't offer it to them on a silver platter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:58 am 
Penguin

Yeah, you're probably right Dave. Other than a few Tenyo tricks, almost nothing has been patented in the last 25 years. The most current one I have is the Axtell drawing board that talks, it's a ventriloquist drawing board. They also patented that bird on the arm illusion which I think is ingenious. Ellusionist said they have a patent on their colored smoke trick, they even posted the patent number before the trick was released, which isn't a very good idea if they'd like to keep it a secret. I would never post anything currently marketed.

I think I might just offer the list via PM to those I see here often and take these things seriously. This list comes from my grandfathers library, he was a magician (I am not, I'm only a collector and inventor). I have not scanned the list of numbers, so please don't contact me about them yet.