View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ne body with a bad stage story???
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:50 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a Realm of the Night Realm in my mind on the Centuary Moons of Dracon
I have one. I was doing a kids show one time, and they were HORRIBLE little brats. :x I swear! But they would keep getting out of there seats and come up to the table and touch everything.No matter how many times we told them not to, they wouldn't listen. And they said they knew all the tricks (yeah right!! :D ) and if we didn't show them they would grab the trick and run all over the place. :evil:
Anyone else have a bad stage or any kind of bad magic experince?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:09 pm 
Penguin

Control is a major problem when doing kids magic.

I make it a practice of talking to the adult who hired me before the show and stress the importance of control. I put the burden on them and let them know that I expect them to take action if necessary. Kids will be kids, and it is just something which has to be addressed. I also tell the kids at the start of the show that if they get rowdy we may have to stop the show because the magic will not work.

These things seem to work well for me. I know some magicians who put down a rope on the floor and instruct all the kids that if they cross the rope the magic will not work and the show will stop.

I think talking to the adults before the show is the real key to preventing what happened to you.

My worst experience with a show was at my own daughters birthday party, many years ago. I was in the middle of doing a trick for an audience of about 75 kids and adults. Suddenly, the room behind me began to fill up with smoke. Everyone was looking at me, wondering if it was some type of special effect. I ran into the kitchen to find my wife throwing burning pizza boxes
out the back door and onto the lawn. Seems she had put them in the oven to keep the pizza warm till my show was over, not thinking that the cardboard boxes would catch fire. Yea, we still talk about that show at family get togethers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:02 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a Realm of the Night Realm in my mind on the Centuary Moons of Dracon
Funny story. :lol:
Thankz for the advice! :D Any one else?? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:01 pm 
Penguin

AngieA wrote:
Funny story. :lol:
Thankz for the advice! :D Any one else?? :?

You are indeed welcome my lady, hope it helps.

One other point to remember. Each show is different, with a different group to entertain and different little problems which may arise. Some shows will go easily, while some seem to be a mess. Learn to go with the flow. Remember, you are there to entertain. Try not to get too hung up on satisfying yourself. Do your best, strive to constantly improve, and if you are doing kids shows, .............. have fun with them. These are some of the things I have learned over the years. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:17 am 
born to perform.

You are all right. It is a problem today that so few parents even think to stay with the kids during a show like this in order to control them. They just leave it up to you to do all the work.

I usually put tape down in two half circles in front of me about five or six feet in front of me and a foot apart. They have to put their bottom and feet behind the half circle farthest from me and no one is to touch the closest one. I tell them that it is my stage and I will call the kids forward if I need a helper. Also remember, even under the best of circumstances kids under 8 or nine can't handle much more than 15 minutes of very visual magic. They love to see you pull flowers from your sleeve--but something like mislead, forget it. Little kids can't handle cards or coins at all. Even with older kids (10 to 12) coins and cards are a problem. I have done some good card tricks with this age in very small groups (two to three) and then tried with 10 kids and no way.

Post subject: bad experience
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:57 pm 
Penguin

Well, I have had many. I was dooing an outside performance. I used a portable backdrop which help keep things out of site as much as possible. Well, the wind picked up and the back drop fell. Another time I was doing the substitution trunk and right during the switch my assistant and I lost our ballance and we both fell to the ground. Last weekend I was performing for kids outside at a camp and after the show, they all came at me and my stuff like a swarm of bees. One girl imparticular kept grabbing at my squared circle. she realy p... me off. I knew her parents and took her to them. Of course they did nothing. One time a long time ago, a kid got hold of my spring rabbit and pulled the head off. It's funny how some parents think things are so funny. Suggestion: When I do a kids show, I try to take my wife or one of my older kids for crowed control. another thing I do especially when performing by myself is to put the trick in the trunk when I'm finished with it. Seems to help. Out of sight, out of mind.
TTFN
BBUNNELL 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:36 am 
born to perform.

I just did teh Wedding Reception from edited this weekend...When I get over it, I may write about it.

Post subject: Re: bad experience
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:27 am 
Penguin

BBunnell wrote:
Suggestion: When I do a kids show, I try to take my wife or one of my older kids for crowed control. another thing I do especially when performing by myself is to put the trick in the trunk when I'm finished with it. Seems to help. Out of sight, out of mind.
TTFN
BBUNNELL 8)

Great advice.

I make a habit of doing this as well, because you are correct about the swarm when the show is over. Do the trick, pack it away, and when the show is over close the trunks. Sure saves replacement and repair costs.

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:14 pm 
born to perform.

In my last kid show, the kids always said " I know how you did that " or they would say " I know what you are going to do and I know how you do it " even before I have started the trick. ( they didn't really have a clue )
After the show the started to scream " Was that all?? "
So kids can be really hard to handle sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:14 pm 
born to perform.

In my last kid show, the kids always said " I know how you did that " or they would say " I know what you are going to do and I know how you do it " even before I have started the trick. ( they didn't really have a clue )
So kids can be really hard to handle sometimes. :x :x :?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:16 pm 
born to perform.

In my last kid show, the kids always said " I know how you did that " or they would say " I know what you are going to do and I know how you do it " even before I have started the trick (they didn't really have a clue).
So kids can be really hard to handle sometimes. :x :x :?

Post subject: first ever main stage....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:03 am 
Penguin

I [like many others] have a lot of stories, but this one in particular needs to be shared. I was just beggining in magic [got my david blaine quarter, so I was instantly cool] {ugh} and approached my local fall fair society about a week before the fall fair to ask if I could do walk-a-bout stuff there. 5 minutes later I was schedualed for 4 kids stage shows, 2 family stage shows and two main stage shows. I was excited and totally unprepared. on the first day, my kids show went ok, and then the main stage happened. I had my assistant on stage, and just as I'm about to do my intro [welcome one and all] I bent over to get a silk, whereupon my egg for the egg-silk finale routien fell and broke on my other silks. that was ok, cause everything in my table was ok, untill my assistant did an appearing water bottle I came up with. it spilled all over everything. the thread for the floating rose vanished, square circle wouldn't close [the square part] didn't have sissors for my cut-and-restored rope, so after tossed out deck, I juggled for 20 minutes. I never want to live that day again. [happy to say I now make money doing very good magic shows.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:18 am 
born to perform.

I recently did a gospel illusion show for about 50 kids and adults at a large Christian book store during a "grand opening" type affair. As a way of establishing my credibility as a magician and explaining sleight of hand (you know, the hand is quicker thant he eye), I opened with a routine using some colorful silks which I make vanish and appear using a TT. I've done this countless time without any hitches, but this day was different. As I pulled a silk through my hand, the TT went flying through the air and landed on the floor some five feet away right at my wife's feet. Of course everyone watched as she picked up the "body part" with me standing there dumb-founded. By the time she picked up the TT and walked over to me, I decided to make the best of a bad situation. I simply held my hand out with my thumb tucked into my palm as if it REALLY came off. I had a wide-eyed look and my mouth wide open as she handed it back to me. I took the tip from her and palmed it as I pretened to reattach my thumb to my hand. Once my thumb was "back", I wiggled it to confirm its functionability and continued with the routine.

Other than my wife and I, no one was the wiser and thought it was just part of the act. One kid even told me later how "cool" it was that I could take my thumb off like that. Magic is wonderful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:12 am 
Penguin

georgemullican wrote:
I recently did a gospel illusion show for about 50 kids and adults at a large Christian book store during a "grand opening" type affair. As a way of establishing my credibility as a magician and explaining sleight of hand (you know, the hand is quicker thant he eye), I opened with a routine using some colorful silks which I make vanish and appear using a TT. I've done this countless time without any hitches, but this day was different. As I pulled a silk through my hand, the TT went flying through the air and landed on the floor some five feet away right at my wife's feet. Of course everyone watched as she picked up the "body part" with me standing there dumb-founded. By the time she picked up the TT and walked over to me, I decided to make the best of a bad situation. I simply held my hand out with my thumb tucked into my palm as if it REALLY came off. I had a wide-eyed look and my mouth wide open as she handed it back to me. I took the tip from her and palmed it as I pretened to reattach my thumb to my hand. Once my thumb was "back", I wiggled it to confirm its functionability and continued with the routine.

Other than my wife and I, no one was the wiser and thought it was just part of the act. One kid even told me later how "cool" it was that I could take my thumb off like that. Magic is wonderful.

I Laughed, I cried, I give it two thumbs up (no pun intended). I appreciate stories like these. Not only did it give me ideas for when something like this happens; but it also could be a cool routine if practiced to remove the kinks. Kinda like that Shinko's chopping off the fingers routine! Thanks georgemullican! :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:12 am 
Penguin

georgemullican wrote:

I Laughed, I cried, I give it two thumbs up (no pun intended). I appreciate stories like these. Not only did it give me ideas for when something like this happens; but it also could be a cool routine if practiced to remove the kinks. Kinda like that Shinko's chopping off the fingers routine! Thanks georgemullican! :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: