View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:32 pm 
Emperor Penguin

During my first mini stage show, I came up with a variation to card on the ceiling. I had a spectator pick a card, I then vanished it and decided i would make it appear on top of a ceiling fan, because it was big and there was no room for the ceiling. Well i vanished it and made it appear on the fan blade with my own special way. I then tried to segway into it by saying, "Wow i don't know if this will work cuz it is kinda hot in here" as i pulled my jacket open. Then all the sudden someone agreed and said yea, turn the fan on! Before i could say wait! Someone flew over and hit the switch! I thought to myself oh no, instant disaster! But i was already a seasoned veteran, and i had to think fast. Lucky for me the fan began really slow. I planned on having someone remove it with a chair for the suprise effect, but now things had changed. As the fan began move, i immediately went into my patter...
"Ok concentrate on your card...visualize it appearing...concentrate....and all the sudden the card came floating down out of the air in almost slow motion!!! What i thought would have been a major disaster turned out to be one the most magical effects i ever did! So sometimes you just never know. That card could have done anything, the timing was perfect. It could have stayed up there, it could have flew down fast unoticed, and lost. I was completly impressed by my own trick :lol: So sometimes disaster can turn into miracles :wink:
What happened there could have been the difference between my career being a failure or success. What it did do was give me alot of confidence in what i could do, and all has been good since that first show. I will never forget that, and i even made it into a trick now :lol:

Post subject: Re: My WORST on stage happening..,
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:07 am 
Penguin

Bynumn wrote:
:oops: Years ago I included the standard Dove Pan trick in my act. You know the one, take an ordinary silver pan, toss in a match, flames shoot up, cover with the lid, lift lid and AMAZEMENT, a beautiful dove flutters up out of the pan.
This show happened to be outside and I live in Texas and it was HOT that day, one of our 95 in the shade days.
As I took the lid off the pan I looked inside and to my horror the poor dove had gone on to meet his maker. Maybe it was the heat that day or maybe it was just his time, but he was stone cold dead. I quickly reached into the pan and lifted him up and kind of flapped his wings a bit, hoping no one would notice and it was ok.
I turned to my assistant and handed her the bird, she looks at it and whispers, "What's wrong?", I whisper back "It's dead". With a squeek she tosses the bird at me, it hit the floor like a... well, like a dead bird. Some kid in the front says "Mommy he killed it" and starts to cry. More people are realizing what's happend, it was horrible.

:( :''''(
That's so sad...
poor dove...

Post subject: Re: Ne body with a bad stage story???
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:12 am 
born to perform.

AngieA wrote:
I have one. I was doing a kids show one time, and they were HORRIBLE little brats. :x I swear! But they would keep getting out of there seats and come up to the table and touch everything.No matter how many times we told them not to, they wouldn't listen. And they said they knew all the tricks (yeah right!! :D ) and if we didn't show them they would grab the trick and run all over the place. :evil:
Anyone else have a bad stage or any kind of bad magic experince?
You need to have written in contract Adul supervision required though the entire show..and the next time there acting up or to loud just get quiter and they think they will miss somwthing.the louder they get the quiter you get.and also when gettin up tell them we can start the next magic trick once every one is seated then just stear at the mom till she takes action.I hope this helps for you next performance.

Post subject: Re: My WORST on stage happening..,
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:18 am 
born to perform.

Magicmainic411 wrote:
Bynumn wrote:
:oops: Years ago I included the standard Dove Pan trick in my act. You know the one, take an ordinary silver pan, toss in a match, flames shoot up, cover with the lid, lift lid and AMAZEMENT, a beautiful dove flutters up out of the pan.
This show happened to be outside and I live in Texas and it was HOT that day, one of our 95 in the shade days.
As I took the lid off the pan I looked inside and to my horror the poor dove had gone on to meet his maker. Maybe it was the heat that day or maybe it was just his time, but he was stone cold dead. I quickly reached into the pan and lifted him up and kind of flapped his wings a bit, hoping no one would notice and it was ok.
I turned to my assistant and handed her the bird, she looks at it and whispers, "What's wrong?", I whisper back "It's dead". With a squeek she tosses the bird at me, it hit the floor like a... well, like a dead bird. Some kid in the front says "Mommy he killed it" and starts to cry. More people are realizing what's happend, it was horrible.

:( :''''(
That's so sad...
poor dove...
ph my goodness next time put a sponge with water in it so the dove can drink frothe sponge but ....since the show was out side and it wa s95 degrese you should of done a rabbit trick pluse kids love to pet rabbits you cant do this with a Dove. but next time try a sponge with water and you dont want the dove in there more than 20 to 30 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:58 am 
born to perform.

The worst thing that happened to me was my swallowing sword curling up just before I was about to swallow it.

Yesterday I was in hospital with my baby and to pass time I showed the staff some tricks. I showed the twisted sisters, asked the nurse for the name of her card (QH) and without thinking I displayed the QS from the other packet... But luckily that was the card the doctor was thinking of so it turned out well!

Post subject: Second graders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:37 pm 
Penguin

The best thing about performing in the Nutcracker for second graders is they get about 2 minutes and I am gone, and no mobbing the stage.

Tougher is the reception line where every other kids wants to know how I made fire in my hand. A part of me wants to ask if their parents have gasoline in the garage (No, I would never really do that). The best answer I've come up with is 'study hard, go to college and you can learn it.'

My biggest problem was my thump tip coming off during a silk disappear. I folded my thumb down, picked it up with the other hand, and pretended my thumb disappearing was part of the trick. The kids in the cast got a big laugh out of it.

Post subject: Re: Second graders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:50 pm 
born to perform.

martyk11 wrote:
The best thing about performing in the Nutcracker for second graders is they get about 2 minutes and I am gone, and no mobbing the stage.

Tougher is the reception line where every other kids wants to know how I made fire in my hand. A part of me wants to ask if their parents have gasoline in the garage (No, I would never really do that). The best answer I've come up with is 'study hard, go to college and you can learn it.'

My biggest problem was my thump tip coming off during a silk disappear. I folded my thumb down, picked it up with the other hand, and pretended my thumb disappearing was part of the trick. The kids in the cast got a big laugh out of it.
Good Cover with the Thumb!They probablly didn't even catch it good job! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:45 am 
Penguin

I remember another funny/terrible thing that happened to me. I was doing the substitution trunk. I had performed it many times. However, freaky things just happen. I put my assistant in the ciffs, cloth bag and locked the trunk. I got on top and lifted the curtain and somehow we got off ballacne. the trunk tiped over and my assistant and I went tumbling to the floor. I thought, oh great! Ruined everything! This was supposed to be the finale!
Well after the performance I learned 2 important lessons.

1. The importance of winning the audiance from the very first trick. When you walk out to perform, look and act absolutely professional. I recently reviewed a video of Channng Pollock. I was very impressed with him from the very first and he hadn't even done anything. His stage presence is just amazing.

2. If you do number one, the audiance will be forgiving if something happens. After falling, I stood up, I walked to the front of the stage and said, "Ladies and gentleman, mistakes do happen, and that was one of them." I was amased, people clapped. After the show some came up and said. "too bad that happened, but how did she get out before you both fell?"

Hoe that things like this never happen to you. If it does, I hope you come out of it as well as I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:18 pm 
born to perform.

Also when possible try not to tell the audience that you have messed up!But I see that you couldnt do it in your case I have done tricks like Diechiper and got the number wrong in front a a paid Crowd and I played it off like the number was the right one LOL BUt most of the time the audeince thinks it's just part of the show!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:43 am 
born to perform.

where can i get the dove in the pan trick that was talked about earlyer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:05 am 
born to perform.

tuscan wrote:
where can i get the dove in the pan trick that was talked about earlyer
I just tried doing a serch for it , it didnt show up... I would go to a local magic shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:52 pm 
Penguin

i'll never do an effect that involves subjecting an animal to pain or even mild discomfort or emotional duress. No exceptions. IMHO, anyone who thinks the wow factor of a given trick somehow justifies placing the comfort--or even the very LIFE--of a living, sentient creature in the slightest jeopardy is not someone i could ever find entertaining.