View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Illusions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:00 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 63
Location: my room,CA
hey everybody. i figured since this is the stage magic section of penguin, that maybe someone could give me some advice on my illusions. i post videos of most of my illusions on youtube, so here is my channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nickmontesmagic

anybody who checks it out, please give me some kind of input by responding to this thread or leaving a comment on the video. Thanks everyone!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 15 Apr 2009
Posts: 77
They look great! What kind of advice are you looking for? I don't think you really need any.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:40 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 63
Location: my room,CA
Thanks! i just wanted to know if possibly anybody knew anything that could improve them. i only started doing illusions about a month ago, so i'm not sure if they look good. thanks for your response!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:52 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
From the video that you posted, there isn't much to say because the illusions really aren't shown.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:17 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 63
Location: my room,CA
fallingblood wrote:
From the video that you posted, there isn't much to say because the illusions really aren't shown.


which video? you're probably talking about the first one that is on the channel. that one is just a promo. i was asking for advice on my other videos. i'll add a link to one of them so you know what i'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPvVzG2bzPA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:46 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Posts: 7253
Location: Texas
Looks like your trying to be like Criss Angel too much- effect wise.

Try to make them look more professional. They look like what they are, kids performing tricks with out any real presentation or any real reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:28 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
That's pretty much what I thought too, pretty much just "video only" tricks. If you're going to have a friend duck under cover or run down the hall, you should at least make it look like there's nowhere for them to go. I couldn't see enough of your "walking on water" to tell that you're doing anything but standing on the top step of the pool. That may not be "how" you do it, but that's what your spectators will think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:30 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
On the chair vanish illusion, the vanish was premature. Before you even began pulling the sheet off your assistant, it started falling. For me, that's premature. I do not believe that the vanish should happen until you actually pull the sheet away. Otherwise, there is a false climax.

Also, I think you try to hard to prove that they are gone. We can see that he is gone, I don't see a need to over do that.

For the walking on water; actually walk on water. No one is going to believe that you just accomplished that feat. It's going to look just like you stood on something. Because that's what you're doing. You're not walking on water, you're standing. There is a big difference when it comes to an illusion. Also, just for reference purposes; the effect was not created by Criss Angel.

Now on a different note; your website. I only ventured there as you promote it on your videos. Honestly, you don't need a manager who is your same age. If you want a manager, get a professional one. The email addresses that you have are very unprofessional, and probably will be looked over. Also, your fees are way to low. If you're going to try to perform professionally, take yourself professionally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:19 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 63
Location: my room,CA
okay, fallingblood, no offense, but i didn't ask for someone to tell me how to run my magic. i'm not trying to be mean, but that really doesn't matter. he's not my manager anymore after i realized he wasn't doing anything. i just have to clear that off my site. plus i'm a kid who wants to be a professional magician, and i'm fine with how my business is going. as for my illusions, i know they aren't the best, but that's why i'm asking for advice. i agree with your thoughts on the chair vanish, but whoever said something about running into a hallway, none of my illusions involve that. they are actually illusions that i put some time into, and no, nobody is just ducking under covers. my illusions can be performed live. my email addresses are what they are, and no big deal. the walking on water, i admit could've been a lot better. and the last thing, fallingblood, about my prices don't matter too much to me. i'm a kid, and i just want to get some practice, but of course i want to make a little money.

once again, i don't want to cause any trouble, and i'm sorry if i sound like a brat. no offense intended to anyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:59 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 885
Location: Wood River, Illinois
Now I have to put in my two cents worth! Your Illusion's look like what they are, a kid trying to do Illusion's. You should stick to the smaller prop's of magic until you have learned stage presents and patter, then when you are a little older you can start thinking about Illusions (I saw a piece of the boy behind the chair). I just think that you should start with smaller Illusions and perfect that first and become a stage performer before going for the big Illusions. I should know a little about this as I have been doing Magic for 40 years and I am now teaching others, but I started them with sponge balls, coins and card's with some IT work (these people are in their twenties). Well that has been my two cents worth.

Oh, and you need to learn how to take Criticism, it helps you to grow in your art.

Zambini Escapes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:08 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
I won't comment any further on the illusions. They are what they are.

As for your website, there's a reason they call it WWW (World Wide Web). Your exposure isn't local, it's everywhere. You should at least have your general location somewhere if you don't want to give out your home address. "High Desert" could be anywhere in the world. How are we to know where you are?

Have someone proofread your site. There are several misspellings scattered throughout the pages. And that tiny little picture in the corner of each text page? It's 1.5 MEGABYTES!!! Resize your pictures, don't just scale them. Even on a high speed connection I almost gave up and moved on before they appeared.

You're off to a good start. Don't let the little details ruin it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
streetmagician96 wrote:
okay, fallingblood, no offense, but i didn't ask for someone to tell me how to run my magic. i'm not trying to be mean, but that really doesn't matter. he's not my manager anymore after i realized he wasn't doing anything. i just have to clear that off my site. plus i'm a kid who wants to be a professional magician, and i'm fine with how my business is going. as for my illusions, i know they aren't the best, but that's why i'm asking for advice. i agree with your thoughts on the chair vanish, but whoever said something about running into a hallway, none of my illusions involve that. they are actually illusions that i put some time into, and no, nobody is just ducking under covers. my illusions can be performed live. my email addresses are what they are, and no big deal. the walking on water, i admit could've been a lot better. and the last thing, fallingblood, about my prices don't matter too much to me. i'm a kid, and i just want to get some practice, but of course i want to make a little money.

once again, i don't want to cause any trouble, and i'm sorry if i sound like a brat. no offense intended to anyone.


No offense taken. I'm simply giving my professional advice in the hope that it may help. I do this because that's what others did for me, and it helped a whole lot. The criticism I gave you came from my experience, as well as what many other professionals told me. And you may not think all of it is important, but it matters a lot more than you would think. Something as little as an email address can help in deciding whether or not someone should be hired.

Also, I tell you this because as a magician, you are also representing the rest of the magic world. It's the simple truth of the matter. Present yourself as a professional, and you will do justice to the magic community as a whole.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:39 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 63
Location: my room,CA
okay. thanks to all of you guys. i'm actually kinda glad that you guys gave me some criticism. it actually already helped a lot, and i took a lot of your guys advice. i changed some stuff on my website, and i still have more changes to make. i now understand what you mean about the email addresses and i made a whole new one just for my business. i'm gonna practice harder on my illusions, but i think i'll just keep the videos of one's i have for now.thanks to all f you guys.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:42 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 63
Location: my room,CA
DaveV wrote:
I won't comment any further on the illusions. They are what they are.

As for your website, there's a reason they call it WWW (World Wide Web). Your exposure isn't local, it's everywhere. You should at least have your general location somewhere if you don't want to give out your home address. "High Desert" could be anywhere in the world. How are we to know where you are?

Have someone proofread your site. There are several misspellings scattered throughout the pages. And that tiny little picture in the corner of each text page? It's 1.5 MEGABYTES!!! Resize your pictures, don't just scale them. Even on a high speed connection I almost gave up and moved on before they appeared.

You're off to a good start. Don't let the little details ruin it.

thanks for your advice on the site. i'll try to fix as much as i can. i've been working on the website for a long time, and it obviously still needs more time. thanks again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:54 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 51
I've only seen three videos so far and have a critique on each illusion.

1.) The self-vanish/suprise.
Okay upon the first time watching this, I couldn't see any discrepancies, which is why I played it once more. On the "surprise", without exposure (if that's what it would be called in this case) I could TOTALLY see you or whoever that was hiding. Might consider cleaning that up but it was nice otherwise.

2.) Football levi.

Ball moved too much, so I could tell it was hanging. But that might be just because I'm looking at it from magician's eyes.

3.) Hand through body illusion.

I could see you assistant shoulder in various parts of the video which suggests how it's done. Try and get a fake hand to hold up the spectator's left side of the towel.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.