View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone a stage performer? Aspiring stage performers?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:57 pm 
Penguin

Hey everyone,

I know a lot of Penguin users are close-up magic buffs ... I often times wonder if anyone on these message boards is a stage performer.

Any illusion guys/gals out there? Anyone looking to get into illusions? Aspiring illusionists?

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:09 pm 
Penguin

I'm working on developing a stage show... Slowly coming along. It involves versions of closu-up trips that I've designed for the stage, and some other parlor tricks. But, when I'm out of school I'll start buying/building stage illusions. I'm interested in a chair suspension since it is not too expensive compared to other stage illusions. Ultimately, I want a sub-trunk for 2 versions of Metamorphasis that I think have never been tried. And I think I wanna get Wild Levitation... I already have a routine for this one too...

So lots of ideas, but currently, I'm doing these during stage performance:

Ring Flight
Vanishing Bandanna
Needle Through Arm
John Bannon's DeTour De Force (mentalism trick using cards)
Card Stab (not the one where you stab the table, but where you put the cards in the card box; put card box into a paper bag; spec stabs the bag; and when the bag is wripped open, the signed card has been stabbed and the closed card box falls to the table).
PBandJ, Bunch of rope ideas, Fearson's Floating Cig, Magic Coloring Book...

That's what I've got cookin' so far. I think I'm leaving something out, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:54 pm 
Penguin

Sounds like a good start, Baxter.

Maybe Penguin should sell Illusions? What do you guys think?

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:51 am 
Penguin

actually im deciding wheter to go to street or stage or maybe both! any good tricks to learn for stage(school talent show)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:37 pm 
born to perform.

I do cards at the moment. But I plan on moving up to stage. My moto for the cards is, you gota start somewhere. But yeah, my mind is already working out an act, but I don't own any stage stuff...yet, hopefully I might get some for christmas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:19 pm 
born to perform.

I am thinking of some ideas for a small stage show. I don't want it to be too large. What I am thinking is basically bringing back some of the side show acts. I just want a pretty quick heavy hitting show.When I get some of it ironed out I'll post the line up that I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:40 pm 
born to perform.

Baxter wrote:
I'm working on developing a stage show... Slowly coming along. It involves versions of closu-up trips that I've designed for the stage, and some other parlor tricks. But, when I'm out of school I'll start buying/building stage illusions. I'm interested in a chair suspension since it is not too expensive compared to other stage illusions. Ultimately, I want a sub-trunk for 2 versions of Metamorphasis that I think have never been tried. And I think I wanna get Wild Levitation... I already have a routine for this one too...

So lots of ideas, but currently, I'm doing these during stage performance:

Ring Flight
Vanishing Bandanna
Needle Through Arm
John Bannon's DeTour De Force (mentalism trick using cards)
Card Stab (not the one where you stab the table, but where you put the cards in the card box; put card box into a paper bag; spec stabs the bag; and when the bag is wripped open, the signed card has been stabbed and the closed card box falls to the table).
PBandJ, Bunch of rope ideas, Fearson's Floating Cig, Magic Coloring Book...

That's what I've got cookin' so far. I think I'm leaving something out, though.

how about the zombie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:41 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a Realm of the Night Realm in my mind on the Centuary Moons of Dracon
Sorta, I've done 2 stage shows. But I like close-up. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:59 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I do a mixture of stage magic and up-close. I donot do big illusions since they are too bulky and expensive. So i mostly do mini-stage tricks, and close-up part time professionally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:31 pm 
Penguin

I work a lot w/ card minipulation but i have done a few stage shows, in fact i did one last week but mostly its close up style. I would like to get more into stage and yes i think pengin should start carrying some smaller stage magic items/illutions
-Collin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:29 am 
Site Admin

Lately I have done mostly cards, however I am developing my stage act. Have a letter typed up to send to churches for Gospel magic, and another for Kids birthday parties and plan on doing a show or two for kids at the hospitals this Christmas season. I would love to do illusions but it takes a lot of equipment and space so I will stay with my linking ropes, silk magic, rope magic, and a few other effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:44 am 
Penguin

Greetings!

I do stage magic. The biggest drawback I see with it is that people here in Utah are not willing to pay what I think is worth all the work it takes to set up. Most of the stage I do is in churches and sometimes schools, so sometimes Illusions need to be adapted. that takes time and work. An example of that is my asrah levitation. The last place I did it, about 3 weeks ago, The stage ceiling was not what I expected so they have a couple of screw eyes in the ceiling that they don't know about.

I have actually baught one stage illusion. The carpet suspension. Back in the 70's when I baught it, it was about $250.00. From then on I have built my own stuff. some of the stuff includes my asrah, a substitution trunk, lady from light and an escape box. If you know how to build and get decent plans, that is the way to go.

Over the years I have found that you can do a great stage show with perhaps one big illusoion for an opener and then another for the finalle. I open with the lady from light then the asrah if the location permits. May I suggest the following that are not expensive and work well on stage and require minimal to moderate set up time:

Floating light bulb
Dancing handkerchief
dove routines
substituion trunk
dollar in orange
square circle or any other production item
die box
linking rings
dancing cane

I hope that these ideas have helped those who want to get into stage magic. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:45 pm 
born to perform.

^ Don't forget vanishing/appearing canes. You can do some awesome stuff with them too. Or a zombie ball. Although you really need to be a good pantomime to be great with a zombie. It's pretty much a lot of pantomiming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:20 am 
born to perform.

As of right now we are building Modern Art And Im working on my illusoion arsenal. If any one would like to Purchases Modern Art I have the agreement From Jim Steinmeyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:18 pm 
Penguin

Hey I just wanted to add my two cents. In April '04 i'm going to be doing a talent show which is traditionally made up of an urban audiance and performers so I'm not really sure how I'll be recepted. I plan on doing some close-up for random people to get them interested.

These are a few things i'm pondering (all with a comical twist, but i just want a big magical ending funny or not)

-dove from scraf
-rope through body
-head trip (rope version prolly)
-bit with mouth coil and tyron the toliet paper
-dancing cane