View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dancing Cane
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:57 pm 
Penguin

Alright I've been reading these things for three nights just seeing what other "magicians" and magicians had to say. I have a cane and "the magic" to make it dance :lol: , but I was just wondering if anyone had any specific tips (lighting mainly) to keep the secret secret. I've seen it performed once with the house lights off and like bright fog lights on the audiance (semi-blinding). I was thinking about doing it with a strobe light and kinda do some Michael (Jackson) type dancing. Any feedback welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:27 pm 
born to perform.

Look into buying Jeff Mcbride Stage Magic either the set or volume 3 I believe. He has good tips for all sorts of tricks. And he talks and goes over a lot with the dancing cane. This DVD set is probably one of the best stage magic DVDs out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:53 pm 
Penguin

I have been doing the dancing cane for years and have learned a few things. First the lighting. While preforming at the Magic Castle I learned that for the dancing cane and other levitations, use blue and red lighting. Houselights off.

2nd, Don't do any moves that would make it look too obvious. Meaning for one thing. use to hands. In other words, even though the right hand is controlling the cane, use the left hand along with it. Also be able to perform the routine with either hand. I "switch" from one hand to the other. Another thing is to not do it too fast. For example havimg it go around your head and shoulders.

Hope these ideas help. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:27 am 
Penguin

i was just wondering, if you do strobe lighting with blue and red, would some people in the room end up with seizures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:42 am 
Penguin

I wold not recomend using strobes. Yes, some people are prone to seizures and strobe lights may increase the risk. Don't know for absolutely sure. Others can get headaches or dizzy.

The main reason I would not use a strobe is it distracts not only the sight, but from the attention of the trick. Too distracting.

This is just my opinion for its use with a dancing cane. I have seen some rather impressive Jazz dances with strobes but they did not blikn too fast. My suggestion id you do go with strobes is find a speed that is not too slow or too fast. Try it for many people and get their opinions. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:18 pm 
born to perform.

I would highly recommend getting Jeff McBrides Magic on stage. When I went to his show I didn't know what to expect but when he opened with dancing cane it was incredible. My point is that he is knowledgable and can give you help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:35 pm 
Penguin

if you watched the vid ' learn to levitate ', you'll learn that theres a new DVD about to be released just talking about the dancing cane and everything you have to know about it. looking forward to that..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:14 pm 
born to perform.

The video learn to levitate is like 5 years old at least. You also might want to pm Peter loughran about his version of the dancing cae which is pretty cool.