View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Serious Dove help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:24 pm 
born to perform.

i just bought a dove and all ( i think) its essentials. i wass o pissed because i think this guy sold me an aged or sick dove. me knowing nothing about doves i cant really say. i wanted to know what are good material to start of learning about dove magic as well as how to take care of my dove. i was concidering Tony Clark's unmasks 1 and 2 and Behind the Seams. what do you guys think? ANY suggestsion, tips, comments, ANYTHING is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:44 pm 
born to perform.

You bought a dove without doing any research?!?!?! ARGH..... Doves live for like 20 years... I hope you're ready for the commitment.... Next time do some research :evil:

Anyways as to help you. Here are some good videos you might want to look into

Tony Clark Unmasks #1 (this is how to train and take care of them)
Tony Clark Unmasks #2 (a lot of non-body load dove stuff)
Tony Clark Behind the Seams (taking a look at what he wears, and how to design your own stuff)

Doves 101 - I don't own this. So I don't know exactly what's on there. But I believe it's how to train, how to take care of, and a few tricks

Begginer's Guide to Dove Magic - Another one just like the above

A GREAT book is - Marian Chavez Encyclopedia of Dove Magic. Awesome book, I HIGHLY reccomend it to anyone looking into serious dove work.

Anyways... I still can't believe you just went out and bought a dove.... Well I'm scaring myself with the "scolding." I think I'll stop now before I turn into everyone's mother. :P

*mumbles about buying a dove...*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:48 pm 
born to perform.

what do you mean i just went out and bought a dove? i know they live that long, how do expect me to start? buying material without the main 'prop'? it takes time for me to get used to handling doves, and getting used to my dove... i figured its a start, man i shoudl take it to the vet, the prob cost a fortune. for now i plan on using a dove pan or getting a dove tray or something...since its not trained yet...

Post subject: Re: Serious Dove help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:54 pm 
born to perform.

rucusoner wrote:
me knowing nothing about doves i cant really say.

You should atleast know how to take care of them. And in the case of having an animal ("prop"). You should buy the material first, well atleast the material on how to train them.

When it comes to owning animals, they aren't your props. They're like your assistants. The least you can do is buy SOME material so you know what to expect. You should know what you need to do. You should know what commitment they take.

There's nothing worse then buying an animal and not knowing how much time you really do have to put into it. When you buy an animal you should be 100% sure you are ready for a very long commitment, as well as know what you're getting into. I'm not saying you're not ready for the commitment. But how can you be completely ready, when you don't know how big (or little) the commitment is.

I'm sorry, but it's an animal man, not a gimmick. I don't mean to be harsh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:04 pm 
born to perform.

i realize this now that i own a dove, but i am willing to commit, but its hard, honestly i wasnt really looking for a pet... but from my research online doves need an awful lot... and cost an awful lot to take care of... all im worried about right now is takingmy dove to the vet to get it checked up and know the avg age of it. one question is does it matter about size of dove for performing? my friedn who currently performs with his dove told me to feed her 2 times a week, if i want to keep her strickly for performing. i really need those tony clark videos... hopefully they wil suiply wme with the info i need...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:09 pm 
born to perform.

2 times a weak?? They aren't cammels :P . I hope you ment 2 times a day. Which is normally when they need to eat. Once in morning, and once at night. For the best training routine, and how to take care of your doves. In video format I highly reccomend you get Tony Clark's Unmasks #1. That will have a lot of helpful stuff. His whole set is great. But that will be the first one you'll want to buy. Also The Dove Encylcopedia I mentioned, is a book format of how to care, train, and a whole bunch of tricks to do with them.

I hope your dove gets better. And I hope you take good care of it. :)

Also, no it doesn't matter how big they are. It's just that they're easier to train when they are young. Lance Burton and Tony Clark's dove are like 15 years old. Some older, some younger. I know Tony just retired one of them, and it was like 21 or something. It's just that the older the animal, the slower they catch on to what you're teaching them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:16 pm 
born to perform.

thanks alot you answered my question. yup he said 2 times a week. he told me he ffeeds his bord everyday and its fat like a pigeion on the street. and why is my dove using the bathrrom so much, is it cause i just got it or cause it eats so much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:25 pm 
born to perform.

That part I don't know. But it sounds like your friend is feeding it too much. I can't really say about you. I believe a dove needs 4Tp a day of food (don't quote me on that). Food wise, doves are like dogs, if you leave food there, they will eat until they get sick. Not all doves, but a lot. You have to regulate how much they eat, and split it up. In Unmasks one he goes over this, he feeds his doves twice a day. I believe he said 2 Tps in the morning and 2 Tps at night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:39 pm 
born to perform.

dam i just finshed watching tony clarks vdie clip of his stage act form stage to stage, for like the 50th time. i can't wait to get used to my bird already and put an act together. producing mydove as the finisher... im tinking about a silent act which is much harder but, it seems more my style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:41 pm 
born to perform.

Here is some info you might enjoy. I was looking at my Marian Chavez Encyclopedia of Dove Magic to find out exactly how much to feed them. unfortunetely it didn't say... But I found this, which might be helpful to you.

Marian Chavez Encyclopedia of Dove Magic wrote:
Now is the time for patience. Everything is going to be strange and new to your birds.

For the first few weeks you should not try to use the birds or handle them. Instead, feed and talk to the bird everyday until the birds get used to you and their new surroundings. During this get-acquainted period, so to speak, never make any fast movements as this scares the birds. Also, you should be the only one who feeds them - "the hands that feeds them," as the saying goes.

After the get-acquainted period you can start training and working with the birds. You should first gain the birds' confidence by getting them accustomed to perching on your finger before trying to use them in some effect. During this time, you will find that some birds are more friendly than others and these should be the birds with which you work.

Anyways, that's just an excerpt from the book. There is a lot of stuff before that comes on. Mainly about housing and stuff. But that seemed like the most interesting and helpful part to quote. A great book, once again I highly reccomend it. What I quoted was only a MINOR part of the "care, feeding, and handling of doves" section of the book. They go over a lot. To much to post. :wink:

Well I hope the quote helped. Do get the book if you're serious about doing dove work. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:53 pm 
born to perform.

yea tha was really helpfull. thanks alot im look forword to getting that book. now what shold i get first that book or tony clark's unmasks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:55 pm 
born to perform.

Hmmm... That's a toughie. If you're able to get like 2 videos.... Then get Unmasks #1 and the book. But if you can only get 1 thing.... It depends. Do you learn better from book or tape. There is deffinetely more material on the book. BUT, in Unmasks #1, Tony goes into a lot of detail on his special 6 weak training program, how to house them, feed them, take care of them. He goes over a lot. Both are good. It's really a matter of personal choice on your behalf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:00 am 
born to perform.

im going with unmasks, because of the indepth look at the caring of the animals and i prefer watching a video that reading. i was sitting next to my dove today reached forward like an inch to pet her and she fly REALLY ast to the other side i was like woah. my borther was petting her tday thoagh and i got to pet her today also. i thought it was pretty good fort he first dya i got her. im really looking foward to developing my stage act. i cant wait. do you curently have a stage act wih doves? what is it like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:04 am 
born to perform.

No act yet. It's in developement. My brother came up with an awesome way to open it. Confidential though. :shock: :P

Have you seen Tony's dove act? It's pretty darn good. I assume you've seen Lance's. But this is some more variety. Might help you with some ideas. Check his act out:

http://www.tonyclarkmagic.com/tc/tcm.cgi?Video

:!: The music you hear, is NOT the music of his real act. I don't know why they changed the music on the video clip. :shock: :?: His real music is like a techno-y version of Phantom of the Opera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:09 am 
born to perform.

i havent seen Lance Burtons act i seen clips on Animal planet though. i already got some sick music to go with my magic act. ever heard of Cirque Du SOleil. man that music gets the ideas flowing...