View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Do you use an assistant?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:20 am 
born to perform.

My first show that i just completed last weekend i had my g/f help out as my assistant. The only problem, my g/f really don't want to help, thereful it was like pulling teeth trying to get her to practice. I have been thinking about changing some things in my show so that i could perform without help, but having an assistant makes the show go smoother.
Do you use an assistant and if so, if you don't mind saying how did you find the person to trust knowing the secrets of your magic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:27 am 
born to perform.

Do you pay your girlfriend? I mean money. There is nothing more disrespectful than just "expecting" their help for free. Many magicians hire assistants and if you do you can talk to them about professionalism and keeping secrets and you should expect confidentiality just like anyone else who hires an assistant in a sensitive field like law, medicine, etc. If you are still young, it will be harder and of course you get what you pay for. But a good assistant is worth a lot--more than some expensive tricks. In the long run, it is worth it. Make it a good investment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:37 am 
born to perform.

We just did our first show and we did that for free. She was pleased at how well it went. I mentioned to her the thought of doing birthday parties and how she could receive some extra cash, but i did not get much of a reaction or a response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:43 am 
born to perform.

kgmagic wrote:
We just did our first show and we did that for free. She was pleased at how well it went. I mentioned to her the thought of doing birthday parties and how she could receive some extra cash, but i did not get much of a reaction or a response.

Yea, starting out is tough. You can't pay what you don't have. First try to get paid for everything. Second, many people who start a business, deny themselves a paycheck but still pay their staff. You might have to include twenty bucks or so to your expenses (for the assistant) even if you are not paid for the show. You paid for your magic tricks, right, so pay for an assistant. She might perk up a little.

Remember stage magic is expensive. The cost of something has to include the cost of everything. David Blaine did not do his magic with a 2 dollar deck of cards; he did it with a 2 dollar deck and a 10,000 dollar camera crew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:13 am 
born to perform.

My cousin and I normally do shows in the summer together and we work as a team being each others assistant....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:54 am 
Penguin

I use assistancs and pay them. However, if it is my wife or kids, they help out of the kindness of their hearts

I have found that if your help is not into it, don't use them. I have been fortunate in having assistants that want to help. that is the key. Back in the 70's I had my girlfriend help. I thought she wanted to but it did not work out, there was one time I was doing the strat-0-shpere and she was supposed to put her arm through the tube but got it caught in he "empty" tube. Didn't use her again.

When you find one that wants to, hang on to him/her. I use both. Make it fun for them and let them give advice and you take it. Make them feel valuable, needed and waned. they will not let you down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:06 am 
born to perform.

I agree 100% that if your help is not into it, don't use them. At first my g/f didn't seem to have a problem with it. It wasn't until the week of the show that the signs started, leaving me with no time to replace. After the show she was pleased that it went so well. I think it made her feel alot better after the good reaction we received. I plan on doing some birthday shows, hopefully she will work out. I asked her tonight if she would want to help or not and she said yes. In the back of my head though, i will be trying to find someone that i think would really enjoy performing more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:21 pm 
Penguin

What do you guys think about asking for donations for the first few shows rather than pay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:44 pm 
born to perform.

TWISTEDLIQUID wrote:
What do you guys think about asking for donations for the first few shows rather than pay?

I really think that devalues magicians in general. If you are performing well then get paid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:30 pm 
born to perform.

Don't ever use an assistant that doesn't want to help. That will kill your show ever. The best assistant I have ever seen is The Great Thompsini's assistant. It is his wife. Check it out.

Post subject: Re: Do you use an assistant?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:02 am 
Emperor Penguin

kgmagic wrote:
My first show that i just completed last weekend i had my g/f help out as my assistant. The only problem, my g/f really don't want to help, thereful it was like pulling teeth trying to get her to practice. I have been thinking about changing some things in my show so that i could perform without help, but having an assistant makes the show go smoother.
Do you use an assistant and if so, if you don't mind saying how did you find the person to trust knowing the secrets of your magic?

I can't qualify this post, with my own experience as I do not perform on stage. But in my opinion, choose an assistant that has as much passion for the art as yourself. They ARE part of your show, and if you use one, they are as important to the show as the effects and YOUR performance are.

8)

Post subject: Re: Do you use an assistant?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:24 pm 
born to perform.

wayno wrote:

I can't qualify this post, with my own experience as I do not perform on stage. But in my opinion, choose an assistant that has as much passion for the art as yourself. They ARE part of your show, and if you use one, they are as important to the show as the effects and YOUR performance are. 8)

Nicely stated Wayno. Thanks to all for the replies and help.