View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: act development
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:53 pm 
born to perform.

im trying to put a silent stage act together but dont know of any good effects to include. im currently trying to get a dove act together to incorparate in my silent stage act. maybe about 2-3 dove productions. i need some ideas. anything would help. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:39 pm 
born to perform.

First of all, that mean's you'll need 2-3 doves. :wink:

Anywho... Good silent stuff: Card Manipulation, Manipulation Balls, Silks, Appearing Disseapering Candles/Canes, Linking Rings (if you get good at them, they really are quite impressive), and I'm sure there are a few more things.

Anyways, those are just some general ideas to look into, for incorporating into your silent act. Infact, I don't know if you've seen these or not. But check out these people's dove/manipulation acts. It might give you an idea on routing effects (not to steal a routine, just ideas). These people aren't the best or anything. Just some vids on MVD. But it's still nice to see. Get a general idea for things you like. Like "wow, the candles are really cool, I think I might do something with candles in my act" type stuff.

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=1440
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=1472

I could of sworn there were 3 vids.. Oh well.

PS. For those people who think I promote stealing material. You've got it wrong. I'm not suggesting stealing anything, but getting ideas. Looking at how the acts flow (well, some don't flow as nice as others) and deciding what would be cool to incorporate into your own act IE candles or silks or whatever. Not stealing an act. Just wanted to get that straight before someone puts words into my mouth. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:20 pm 
born to perform.

Silent? I do these things with music:
Silk routine.
Appearing assistant (Built a cabinet from Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia of magic)
Floating Rose
Hummer card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:13 am 
Site Admin

If you want a silent show, I would also recommend music. I just got Jeff McBrides Magic on Stage set. He does it all to music, and the effects are not difficult, but he does use a lot of silk, which I like. Plus many of the effects I already have. This set is great, will do a review in Tricks Review shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:55 am 
Penguin

Doves, card manipuations, billiard balls are all good standards. When you sit back and think about it, there are many tricks that you could do in a silent act. I am assumeing that by silent act you mean no talking but you will have background music.

The use of music and tricks together takes more practice tham most people think. don't just do trixks with music in the background, but do your tricks to the music. It will be a total flop if you produce all of your billiard balls or a dove at an unclimactic point in the music.

Tricks I use, in my silent act with music, is the above mentioned, dancing handkerchief, Asrah levitation, dancing cane, linking rings, productions with my squared circle.

Hope this helps. If you would like more info on haw to perform to music, let me know.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:51 pm 
born to perform.

BBunnell wrote:
Doves, card manipuations, billiard balls are all good standards. When you sit back and think about it, there are many tricks that you could do in a silent act. I am assumeing that by silent act you mean no talking but you will have background music.

The use of music and tricks together takes more practice tham most people think. don't just do trixks with music in the background, but do your tricks to the music. It will be a total flop if you produce all of your billiard balls or a dove at an unclimactic point in the music.

Tricks I use, in my silent act with music, is the above mentioned, dancing handkerchief, Asrah levitation, dancing cane, linking rings, productions with my squared circle.

Hope this helps. If you would like more info on haw to perform to music, let me know.

Good Luck

very interesting ideas. i love hte billiard ball manipulation ideas. as for the mcbride dvds are they realy worth it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:45 pm 
born to perform.

Yes they are deffinetely worth it. They are one of the best stage magic DVD sets out there. He shows you how to do tons of good stage magic effects, with style :wink: . To name a few: dancing cane, zombie, linking rings, and a whole bunch more!

I highly reccomened them. Jeff is a great magician and performer. Plus they give you an idea if you do or don't want to buy something. Let's say you're interested in the dancing cane, you see how it works and you're like... well I guess I don't like it anymore. :wink:

So yes the set is deffinetely worth it.