View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: So what do you say ??
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:58 pm 
Penguin

Hi, I am just wondering what do you use for "patter" with your stage magic.. do you write down a script and then learn it... or do you perfect the trick and then sort of make up the chat as you go along ? I sort of do both at the moment.. learning a script with certain effects and winging it on others.. Just wondered what other stage magicians did ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:12 pm 
Penguin

I wright down some stuff and then i usaly change it as i go along, depends on the crowd.
Sam 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:51 pm 
born to perform.

For stage.. I script everything. Once I have everythng memorized and I've practiced for what seems a billion times.. I will tweak things that have been scripted and work it through with the choreographer as to what works best and what doesn't. I don;t have a lot of patter in my stage shows, but all of my movements, spoken lines (the few I have), music, etc, is scripted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:32 pm 
born to perform.

I write it down ahead of time, so that I know what i want to say or better yet, what I want the audience to hear. Once on stage, mine don't go exactly word for word, but the point I want to get across gets across due to being prepared ahead of time. I touched on patter in my second part of Putting on a smooth show.... http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:56 pm 
Penguin

I usually start by taking the effect and putting it down on paper in outline form. Take a simple vanishing of a handkerchief:

I. Take out handkerchief

II. Put handkerchief in fist

III. Magical gesture

IV. Show handkerchief vanished.

I usually have some motivation for doing the trick in mind. And then I try to sketch in some patter for each section. Lastly, I completely script out every word. Then I study that complete script and modify it. I practice it.

Then, on the night of the show, I know what I want to do with each effect, but I don't stick to the script word-for-word. I usually find that to be a bad idea: you'll end up forgetting something and then feel pressured to stay with the script. That equals uncomfortable pauses. If you're comfortable with ad libbing then you might like the way I do it. The scripting of every word gives me a model presentation. And on the big night, I can take liberties to play with the crowd without fearing being thrown off of a strict script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:22 am 
Penguin

Thanks for all that advice guys... it is really appreciated... NOW back to the drawing board...lol :lol: