View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First Kids Show
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:41 pm 
born to perform.

So I got a show coming up and it is my first one ever(got to have a first sometime). Anyway, I am working with my routine and was wonderin if i could get some feed back from you guys on my routine.

Dlite- produce light from helper and pass it around before placing it into the hand and turnign it into a spongeball

spongeball-play a game of hide and go seek with the balls makign them change from hand to hand jumping all over the place.

Airborne- take a drink of coke and end up having the cup float

mouth coils- rip up some paper and make a long chain out of it

snowstorm in china- wet the paper in the cup of coke and with a little fanning we have some snow

die box- place a die in a hat and take it out and put it in a box, make it vanish from the box and it reappears in the hat

cups and balls- all three balls go through the center cup

rope through- pass a rope through a volunteer

chinese sticks- two wands with strings runnign through them are held in the hand, when one string is pulled the other goes up. Suprisingly the wands are separate

zombie ball- make a shiny ball come alive under a foulard and even have it pop out around the corners

silk trick- three silks of different colors are held. One vanishes and reappears in another. Repeated with the rest of the silks

production box- a small animal is produced for the birthday person

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, are any of these thing sgood for a kids show: juggling, linkign rings, professors nightmare? Thanks for all the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:45 pm 
born to perform.

your routine sounds absolutely great to me!

as for the last 3....I would say juggling and linking rings are good, but I don't know about professor's nightmare. It bores even me, so I am not sure how well kids would enjoy it, but all in all, great routine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:01 am 
born to perform.

You can't go wrong with the linking rings. As for Professor's nightmare, if you have a good patter it can turn out to be a good trick. :D

Last edited by LordLanceIII on Mon May 17, 2004 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:02 pm 
Penguin

Sounds like a solid routine.

One suggestion:

Move your Cups & Balls routine to the spot just before you close with the animal production box. The animal production (typically a rabbit)
seems to be "expected" at a kids show, even though I think it is anti-climatic to a great trick like Cups & Balls. However, if you treat the rabbit production like an encore it can work fine in that spot .
Bring the birthday child up front and say that he/she is going to help you do the final magic trick , hand them a wand , and let them say the magic words that makes the bunny (or whatever) appear .
This arrangement still means that you closed with a very strong effect
(Cups & Balls) and that should be what the audience remembers you for. (always close with your strongest effect ) . After the bunny appears it's all over, no one will remember a thing you say or do , so as I suggest treat it as an encore presentation , a final afterthought that allows the birthday child to shine in the spotlight .

------

By the way,
If it is a birthday show and it's in someone's house you might want to prepare the parents for the Snowstorm effect and promise them that you will clean up all the loose confetti that is now all over their living room !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:19 pm 
Penguin

I actually think it's too long. You may want to shave it down a bit. But I love the material in your routine. 35 minutes is an often cited limit on the time your kid shows should be. (I've seen it vary from 25 minutes to 40 minutes).

With 12 effects, you may be pushing well beyond the one hour mark, and you definitely don't want to rush anything.

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:00 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for all the help! The show went great and it was a great experience. I cant wait to do one again. No big mistakes except it turned out to eb outside so my spongeballs got blown around. That was th eonly bad thing i guess. Little tip. Dont use spongeballs on a windy day. Thanks again.
-A.