View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kid's Birthday/Party Routine
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:12 am 
born to perform.

I so far have what I feel is a good half hour routine for a kid's show. I start with my appearing candle routine, and end with a comedy spin on bisection, where I have a fake chainsaw and sounds to go with it that make a good comedy trick. This is the line-up:

:arrow: Opening- Appearing Candle and Appearing Lit Match Routine
:arrow: Trick 1- Appearing and Disappearing Silk to Mouth Coils
:arrow: Trick 2- Mandarin Box Routine
:arrow: Trick 3- Sponge Balls
:arrow: Trick 4- Healed and Sealed
:arrow: Trick 5- PB&J Illusion
:arrow: Finale- Bisection

I would like to lengthen out my show from 30 to about 45 minutes. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. :D

LordLance

Post subject: Routines
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:09 pm 
Penguin

A few suggestions. I'm not sure if you can tie in some of the tricks with each other, but if you can, that can help with the flow of your show. Like if you produced a silk, you use it for the next illusion. It gives your show some flow and helps elevate you professionally.

I would question healed and sealed in your show. That seems to me that it works better on the street or a back yard bbq and not in a show situation. The idea is that you pick up a crushed soda can and it seals and refills itself--magically of course. If you have this simply on your table, it might not work very well convincing them that it is not just some magic prop. I would suggest maybe doing that before or after the party and planting your prop in the recycle bin for a more impromptu sort of feel.

I've closed mine with Bisection too, and that is a killer effect!! Good luck in your show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:32 pm 
born to perform.

use the mandarin mirror box as a prop and not a trick. it works better for me. such as, vanish a sponge ball(using sleight of hand) and make it appear in the box.
you could do a cups and balls routine. get 25 Tricks with the Cups and Balls and it will teach you other tricks to do with them.
With the mandarin box, show it empty and then take out the cups and balls. just another way to take out tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:36 pm 
Penguin

Try extending it to 45 minutes without adding any additional illusions! (also, depending on their age, you probably don't need to extend the show much)

Banter, comedy, patter, stories, keep them entertained and wanting more magic.

You could have a lengthy Healed and Sealed routine making liquid move from one container to the empty can. That could take a while to present. (

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:48 pm 
born to perform.

uhh well in my shows...lets say they are 10 or wtv...I throw in sum mentalism effects in there....uh if their like 6 or less I would throw in the magic colouring book...and lets say wtv their age is...I always throw in my cut and restored rope and professors nightmare...very strong effects!

l8er

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

If you plan on doing Children's magic shows, I would take out the Healed and Sealed. Never thought of BiSection. But again if you plan on doing a lot of shows to make money I have posted this before, here are a few effects which kids like, although you will have to save up for some. Also look into getting some advice on kids shows, plenty of books/dvd's out there on the subject.
Change bag-for doing Mis-Made Flag, Teddy Bear, or a myriad of other effects
Hippity Hop Rabbits-Great with the younger set
Sucker Die Box
Soft Soap-They all think they know how it is done, and you leave them amazed!
I use a dove pan production of either a cake or candy to pass out at the end.
These are only a few. If it is a birthday party, ensure you involve the birthday child in the show somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:01 pm 
Penguin

when doing healed and sealed make sure you plant the can just before the show or else it won't work. also what i've done is after healed and sealed go into your case or under the table(somewhere they can't see and switch the can for another can that's prepared with the airborne glass gimmick andyour reason for doing this is getting a cup. oh. yeah have some slush powder at the bottom. This works well for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:15 pm 
Penguin

just a thought on the silk vanish to mouth coils:
i think it's a great idea that u thought of it, but u want the audiance to think that u made the silk to be a mouth coil. so i suggest u to get a color changing streamer (do a search on it). it's basiclly a black silk, that if u shake it it changes into a multicolor silk. so u can make it appear, then shake it and it changes, and then make it vanish again, and appears to be taken out of ur mouth.
the most importent thing is to give sense and flow to ur show.

i hope i helped a bit,

Tomer