View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: End Of Stage Forum?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:43 pm 
born to perform.

With this new rule, and Penguin Magic not selling many stage effects, there isnt too much to talk about in this forum. We cant talk about the big stage illusions in our shows. I have a feeling that this forum will have less posts in it.
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:48 pm 
Penguin

If this new rule is strictly enforced then I'm afraid you're correct , Skate13 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:58 pm 
born to perform.

I thought it was and this isnt going to be very good on Penguin
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:12 am 
Emperor Penguin

although as many here know, i have been doing stage professionally a long time now. however being that the majority seem to prefer close-up, i direct most of my advice to the general froum. also i dont see anything even close to what i have as far as stage apparatus. not much i can discuss beyond presentation, showmanship, and patter etc...without mentioning effects that i use, that penguin does not have anyway. so on this forum it seems like a waste to post in the stage forums. maybe when they expand their product line, i will post here more often.

Last edited by sirbrad on Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:57 am 

Very true. A lot of what is called Stage these days is really parlour magic. If you were in a gym with 200 people, there are many Stage effects that you could not perform. Having said that, all of my state illusions and almost all of my parlour effects are purchased elsewhere. This is not by choice. It is by necessity since Penguin does not carry them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

True they do not carry much at all for a true stage act. That shouldn't dissuade you from posting here and discussing various effects and illusions. Acar realizes that Penguin does not carry much and this is one forum where you can discuss somewhat more freely, although still no links to other sites or naming them. But you can mention effects by name.
I asked Acar this, since I have various larger tricks, stage size Hippity Hop Rabbits, Milk Water Seperation, Double Load Dove Pan, Checker Pro Tube, Mailbag Escape. He said discussion here would be fine, just no exposure, or links, mentioning of sites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:19 pm 
Emperor Penguin

well that puts a positive note on things then. i will keep this in mind. hopefully penguin does get alot more stage effects, then if a product is strongly recommended, you could link it to penguin's shop. i am sure they dont get many stage effects, because they are expensive, and they know close-up will sell a whole lot more, especially to beginners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

I read what Acar wrote and PM isnt going to change at all. Everything is fine now but i wish they would get more larger stage illusions.
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:25 pm 
Penguin

yeah, problem is that beginners want something cheap they can show their friends and family, and that's why they like close-up magic so much.
i mean, i think any stage performer can be a very good close-up performer, and that the stage magic is the next step... i'm a stage/close-up performer, and i do anything i'm hierd to do. i think all stage performers would love getting hierd to do a close-up performence, coz it's more personal and direct. also, in close-up u can show ur real skills (usally...).
i think that stage magic is more about the performence, and how u present ur magic. i mean, anyone can get those big effects and perform them, but he won't get the applause as proffesional magicians do. i think that's the thing beginners afraid of, like how to start doing stage magic and how to go on stage without having ur whole body shaking.
maybe penguin should open a forum or even open a thread here about how beginners should start performing for a crowd. i think that if someone would make a thread for that, beginners would want to know a lot more about stage magic, get some effects for it, and start doing like a 15 minute show as a start...

just a though,

Tomer