View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kids' Shows - Should routines be kept short?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:47 pm 
born to perform.

I've decided to venture into kids' magic as I can earn some money from it, and it allows me to practise because it's easier to fool littl'uns. I'm interested in learning some good rope, and sponge ball routines. However I've heard of routines of this sort that can last up to half an hour.

So, I'm asking people with experience: for how long should I stay with the same trick or routine before the kids become disinterested? 5 minutes? 10? 15? I can imagine that adults would remain amazed by a half-hour rope routine if it was varied enough, but would most kids think "It's just rope. I've seen enough of it"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:56 pm 
born to perform.

I think I heard a study say that elementary school children need a new focus every 7 minutes. Do a search on teaching and learning, or education. Educators put in a lot of time researching these topics.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:30 am 
Site Admin

There ar eseveral books and tapes etc on this. For children's magic it depends on the age, I have read serveral books on this and here is the general consensus:

:arrow: 5-7 yr olds A 20 minute routine is plenty, they start losing focus and getting restless after that.

:arrow: 8-10 yr olds A 30-45 minute show is about the max you want for this age

:arrow: 11-13 yr olds Anywhere from 30-60 minutes, depending on the crowd and the situation

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:47 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks very much. That's a great help. I don't think I'll be doing any routine over 15 minutes tops or I'll probably start getting bored!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:49 am 
Penguin

i have a very long silk routine (10 minutes), with lots of laughs, and the kids simply love it. well, maybe it's because u can vary a lot with silks, and a 10 min routine is ok i guess. at the end of the show i get approaches from the adults about my silk routine, and how great it is. i use my silk routine as an opener usally, if i don't then as a closer. when it's a closer i always get sentences like "great job!" or "u've been awsome!" from adults. if it's an opener, i sometimes get those sentences at the end of the show! they simply can't forget it, i really enjoy being appriciated. my advice to u is to build a good silk, rope and sponge ball routines. my rope routine is about 5 min, but i belive it enough (i usally perform for younger kids). there r so many variations out there on sponge ball, for example, their sure they have in their hand 2 balls, but when they open their hand, the balls changed color! i have 2 sets of sponge ball and a giant size sponge ball, many ways to vary.

hope this helps a bit,

Tomer