View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Appearing cane - appears to never retract...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:40 am 
Penguin

Ladies & Gentlemen, Can you help?

I have a metal appearing cane. When it appears it's great, but very difficult to put away again.

When I first got it, I made a hole in my jeans trying to re-set it! There's now a circular mark on my carpet and one on my wallpaper too!

It appeared to take brute force to re-set! I have now sussed a method for re-setting it but it can take a while, sometimes gets jammed and frequently hurts my hand!!

My question; does anyone have a method, or an easier method, for getting this baby back to whence it came?

I cut corners when I bought it and paid relatively little for a metal cane. The instructions, needless to say, are sketchy and last time I checked I was unable to read Chinese.

It's not a major thing (the method I have works) but have been curious to know if there is a super-fast "instant reset" for this.

Thanks in advance

Hand hurtingly

Gaz2707

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:07 pm 
Penguin

You shouldn't have to force it .

I'm right handed , so this is how I do it :

The way to close a metal appearing cane is to securely grasp the thin end in your right hand between the second/middle finger and the third/ring finger (the thin solid tip is what you hold on to , not the main part of the cane body )

Hold the thicker upper end in your left hand and alternately twist the cane away from you , then back towards you , away, back, away, back , while at the same time using light pressure from both hands to push the two ends of the cane in towards the middle . The twisting action with your left hand loosens up the cane a bit as you push the two ends together . (your right hand can twist a bit too , just be sure to keep a firm grip on the solid piece at the very end )

Does that make sense ? Hope so. It's sort of a knack.
Once you get the feel of it you'll never forget how to do it .

If this doesn't work it may be that you got a defective cane . See if you can return it for a new one .

Here's a tip to avoid cutting your hand on the metal when the cane expands:

The wide end of the cane, the "knob" end , is usually painted white or silver to simulate the knob, or else has a piece of white or silver tape to simulate the knob on a formal black cane.

Make sure that you take a strip of white tape (or silver metallic tape) and tape all the way around the top edges of the cane so there is no exposed, bare metal edge. The tape overlaps the top edge of the cane to lessen the chances of getting cut by the metal edge if it should catch against the palm of your hand or a finger . Make sure the tape only overlaps the top edge of the cane , but does not interfere with the normal opening action of the cane .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:24 pm 
born to perform.

I have never heard one be that had to put away. Good luck!

-Freds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:43 pm 
Penguin

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me.

What you say does make sense.

I too am right handed but I tend to hold the bottom tip in my left hand and push down with my right! I open the coil slightly around my right thumb to free it up.

I get what you mean with the away, back, away, back routine!

Thanks also for the extra tip re saving skin! My cane is pure metal with no white tip or knob type of area. I'm sure I could incorporate some tape into the set-up like you suggest though.

When I first tried to collapse it it must have taken me a good 5 minutes! I've lessened that now but will keep working at it!

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:26 pm 

The cheaper appearing canes have very sharp edges and can literally cut you open if you are not careful in closing them. Try pressing it against a small chunk of 2 x 4. As you loosen the cane, press it into the 2 x 4. That should work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:06 am 
Emperor Penguin

hence the title "appearing cane" not the retracting cane. :lol: watch out they can be deadly. :wink: good for one use only. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Appearing cane - appears to never retract...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:20 pm 
Penguin

Gaz2707 wrote:
Ladies & Gentlemen, Can you help?

I have a metal appearing cane. When it appears it's great, but very difficult to put away again.

When I first got it, I made a hole in my jeans trying to re-set it! There's now a circular mark on my carpet and one on my wallpaper too!

It appeared to take brute force to re-set! I have now sussed a method for re-setting it but it can take a while, sometimes gets jammed and frequently hurts my hand!!

My question; does anyone have a method, or an easier method, for getting this baby back to whence it came?

I cut corners when I bought it and paid relatively little for a metal cane. The instructions, needless to say, are sketchy and last time I checked I was unable to read Chinese.

It's not a major thing (the method I have works) but have been curious to know if there is a super-fast "instant reset" for this.

Thanks in advance

Hand hurtingly

Gaz2707

If you have any questions come visit me in the po section. I'll help you out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:38 pm 
born to perform.

There is a holder for it to be in when it is compact. Google for it.
-Tyler