View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: square circle deception
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:38 pm 
Penguin

I have the square circle deception. I didn't get it from this sight, but I got it from a magic shop in New York, New York. I'm just thinking....is there anyway I can go to the po section of the square circle deception? I'm very positive I have it. I don't mind taking any test or something like that to prove I know how to do it. Well, if you know any info concerning this, please reply. Thank you very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:01 pm 
Penguin

thats the reason for buying it here. special privliges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:00 pm 
born to perform.

Well, you can try contacting customer service or somthing and they may give it to you.

-Freds

Post subject: Re: square circle deception
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:03 pm 
Penguin

PpaulL1212 wrote:
I have the square circle deception. I didn't get it from this sight, but I got it from a magic shop in New York, New York. I'm just thinking....is there anyway I can go to the po section of the square circle deception? I'm very positive I have it. I don't mind taking any test or something like that to prove I know how to do it. Well, if you know any info concerning this, please reply. Thank you very much.

It's such a simple trick (simple method) and it is one of those old, old tricks that is in public domain . There is really nothing that could be talked about in PO section that we couldn't talk about here . (with exception of the method; but then, we both know that already , so we don't have to discuss the method at all )

What do you want to talk about regarding the Square Circle ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:17 pm 
Penguin

Actually, I think you're right. There IS nothing to talk about if you already know how to do it. Well, thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:27 pm 
born to perform.

Daiversion wrote:
PpaulL1212 wrote:

It's such a simple trick (simple method) and it is one of those old, old tricks that is in public domain . There is really nothing that could be talked about in PO section that we couldn't talk about here . (with exception of the method; but then, we both know that already , so we don't have to discuss the method at all )

What do you want to talk about regarding the Square Circle ?

You could tell others new effects or ways to produce or disappear objects. You could also tell them imprivments on patter or the routine.

-Freds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:47 pm 
Penguin

And the best objects to pull out... How to make it work best with kids... How to make it work best with adults...

Hey, how about pulling an appearing cane out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:51 am 
Emperor Penguin

yea it is too bad for us all who have most of what penguin has currently, but did not get it here. if we could have access to the p.o.'s i would have about 80% of them. :lol: but i guess it is alot easier, and more reliable to give access to penguin purchasers only. hey it is not my loss though, if they dont want my expertise on the ball vase that is their loss! :lol: actually i have alot of custom made sucker routines that i could share here with the ball vase i have had 23 years now, but i am not going to buy it just for that. maybe if mine ever wears out though i will keep it in mind. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:16 am 
Penguin

PpaulL1212 wrote:
Actually, I think you're right. There IS nothing to talk about if you already know how to do it. Well, thanks for the advice.

Well, I didn't mean my comment that way .

It's not that there's nothing to talk about . I just meant since we both have it (I didn't buy mine at Penguin either) and since it's a public domain classic trick , there's nothing to prevent us from talking about different uses , tips , ideas for the Square Circle right here on the Stage forum, as long as we don't cross the line by exposing the method/principle being used .

On the contrary, I think there are a lot of ideas that we can discuss for how the trick can be themed. It's a versatile production device and once you know the basic working of it it's pretty easy to custom-make special themed versions of it . That's what I thought maybe you wanted to discuss ....... the different ways to use the prop .
I'm open to that discussion .

Have you read Henning Nelm's book "Magic & Showmanship" where he gives the routine using a square circle as a teleportation device ?
He suggested theming it with mechanical looking devices , light-emitting buttons, switches , etc. so it had the appearance of something out of a sci-fi movie (the original Star Trek was a recent show when Nelms first published his book in 1969) . The idea was that the magician used this futuristic device to materialize objects that were in another place .
I think he also suggests using two of them (two square circles) , one on either side of the stage . Both units are shown empty. An object is placed into one of the units , the switches are switched on, lights flashing, weird sounds emit , and then it is shown that the object has transported across to the other unit on the other side of the stage .

That's just a small example . That may not fit your style at all and perhaps that idea of a sci-fi teleportation device is too "dated" in our time , but I think the example is a good one to get our creative juices flowing , so we look at the basic prop (the square circle) and think about it : what could we make it look like , so it's different, so it's a unique routine , instead of just the basic "show it empty and pull a bunch of stuff out of it ...... ta-da !" sort of approach .

If you know about a magician/trick builder named Chance Wolf then you know what can be done by theming the basic square circle prop in a new direction. I can't mention Chance Wolf's trick here , since it is a non-Penguin product , but Google for Chance Wolf magic and you'll find what I'm talking about .

I've seen the Square Circle painted so that the outer box looks like a stone castle , the front opening is like the portcullis on the front of a castle , and the inner tube is painted to look like a tower inside the castle , with the upper part raised a bit so there is a turret around the top of the tube. This sort of prop could be used for a King Arthur themed trick or a Lord of the Rings theme, or the "castle" could be referred to as Hogwarts School of Wizardry if you're doing a Harry Potter themed trick .

There's a lot you can do with the square circle .