View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My First Kids Show (or any show) in MANY years
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:30 pm 
Penguin

I am shaking in my boots…. I will be doing a kids magic show next week… I have not preformed in many (many) years… I have been practicing my old routine and I think I am ready... let me ask if this sounds like a good line up and would you change anything… thanks for any advice.

come out and do...

no tear paper
peanutbutter and jelly
equal unequal ropes ( I have a story routine)
tricky bottles
----needle through balloon (combo routine w/ticky bot)
disappearing crayons
--coloring book (combo w/crayons)
-----photo frame (b/w photo change to color photo)
chicken soup (routine with the pagoda production box)
----chinese production panels (combo routine w/chicken soup)
absorbing news –to- color changing water
Strat-O-Sphere
backstage
milk picture
chain ecsape
cut and restore rope
insurance policy

take a bow and make some balloons

OH I forgot to add silk serenade and color changing silk... oh where to put em?

:D Hey it’s a paying gig and I’m doing it for my girlfriend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:06 pm 
born to perform.

how old are you and what age froup will you be presenting to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:23 pm 

Generally, the lineup looks good. I don't know the age group of the kids and so, my advice may be of limited usefulness. Remember, the age of the kids will affect the the length of the show (since their attention spans will differ), the patter used (since their understanding will differ), and the types of effects you perform.

Most of my kids shows are between 30 to 45 minutes in length. When routining the show, I list out all of the effects I am considering, much like you did in your post. I try to incorporate as many effects as possible that use either volunteers or audience participation. I find this is incredibly important in maintaining interest.

Then, I categorize each effect (ie. vanish, production, transformation, etc.) You want to ensure that you use a continuing variety of effects in order to maintain interest.

Once that is done, I rank each effect on the basis of overall audience impact. You want these impact ratings to continually increase as the show goes on. The final effect should be your big finale - it should be clean and visual, allowing you an opportunity to say or imply - THAT'S IT FOLKS!! TIME TO APPLAUD.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it's worth it. I've been doing kids shows for over 28 years now and this is the proven formula that I have developed over time.

Post subject: magic
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:53 pm 
Penguin

i suggest that u make it a little bit shorter and u put no tear at the end ,good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:28 am 
Penguin

quickmagic3 wrote:
how old are you and what age froup will you be presenting to?

I'm in my 30s and the kids will be around 11.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:46 am 
Penguin

magicman845 wrote:
Generally, the lineup looks good. I don't know the age group of the kids and so, my advice may be of limited usefulness. Remember, the age of the kids will affect the the length of the show (since their attention spans will differ), the patter used (since their understanding will differ), and the types of effects you perform.

Most of my kids shows are between 30 to 45 minutes in length. When routining the show, I list out all of the effects I am considering, much like you did in your post. I try to incorporate as many effects as possible that use either volunteers or audience participation. I find this is incredibly important in maintaining interest.

Then, I categorize each effect (ie. vanish, production, transformation, etc.) You want to ensure that you use a continuing variety of effects in order to maintain interest.

Once that is done, I rank each effect on the basis of overall audience impact. You want these impact ratings to continually increase as the show goes on. The final effect should be your big finale - it should be clean and visual, allowing you an opportunity to say or imply - THAT'S IT FOLKS!! TIME TO APPLAUD.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it's worth it. I've been doing kids shows for over 28 years now and this is the proven formula that I have developed over time.

I agree a kids show should be no longer then 45 min long... after that they loose interest... I did many kid shows in the past and after 30 min the crown starts to get restless... unless you have good patter...

My last magic show was in 1996...

Thanks to you guys I revised my list a bit… whacha you all think?

peanutbutter and jelly
milk pitcher
equal unequal ropes
tricky bottles
-needle through balloon (combo routine w/ticky bot)
coloring book
-crayons
--photo frame (b/w photo change to color)
chicken soup (routine with a pogoda box)
-chinese production panels (combo routine w a pogoda box)
absorbing news
- end absorbing news to color changing water
stratosphere
chain ecsape
cut and restore rope
backstage
insurance policy
no tear paper

balloons animals

go home and rest! lol

a :arrow: nd I have a few more on hand such as my TT / chameleon silk / silk serenade if the mood calls for it