View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Metamorphosis illusion
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:55 pm 
Penguin

Is anybody familiar with this illusion? I just got one for free! I was wondering if anybody had this and if they are satisfied with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:06 pm 
Penguin

how did u get it 4 free? those are expensive. i plan on building my own because buying it is expensive for me at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:04 pm 
Penguin

i have one, if by metamorphosis aka substitution trunk. then yes i have one, i luv it. use it in every show. mines custom built. it's black with 2 silver spades on the 2 sides, and silver frames along the fronts, looks really classy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:39 am 
Penguin

I ran into a magician that lived up the street from me. Until now I have primarily done close up, but he wants to get me started into stage illusions. He had 2 of them, so he decided to give me one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:23 am 

Are you sure this is the metamorphosis illusion? That is equivalent to a substitution trunk. There is also a metamorphosis trick on the market that looks like a black tin can with white spots on it. You put a silk in the can, the spots disappear and reappear on the silk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:10 pm 
Penguin

hes talking about a subtitution trunk i believe....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

I also am building my own from some plans I purchased, still have to get materials for the curtain. Just bought the mailbag escape off ebay for about $40. I was hoping to practice and perform this later in August but may not have the money to buy all the materials I need for the trunk.
That is great you had one given to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:05 am 
Penguin

yea ur a lucky person, they go up to 5000 where ive looked then i just said, da heck with it im buildin one!....lol.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:43 pm 
Penguin

fcchief wrote:
I also am building my own from some plans I purchased, still have to get materials for the curtain. Just bought the mailbag escape off ebay for about $40. I was hoping to practice and perform this later in August but may not have the money to buy all the materials I need for the trunk.
That is great you had one given to you

Hey Chief, just out of curiosity, how much do the supplies run in order to build a nice working metamorphosis trunk? Plans are $25 but I'm wondering how much for all the wood, hinges, etc......even ballpark would be good. You know, are we talking $100 or $1000?

Thanks!
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:46 pm 
Penguin

yea i kinda want to know as well becausen the trick is so unbelievable and I have been looking for a good illusion to end my show. I may take this trick ino possiblity so if you could give me an estimated price for the materials and where I can get the plans at. I have seen plans before like a book named build your own illusions or something like that. any help would be great.

~Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Ok you can get plans for 7.95 at lybrary.com. They specialize in E-books. It includes a PDF file and HTML file with pictures and is an instant download (although it may take a couple of days due to he is moving into a new home). Figure on about $100-$130 for all materials, depending on where you get them and what lumber is going for in your area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:43 pm 
Penguin

Thanks very much! That's really helpful for our planning purposes!

I appreciate your help.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:43 am 
Penguin

someone on another fourm site built his for under 300

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:34 am 
Penguin

I have provided my plans for an easy very inexpensive substitution trunk to other penguinites and others on different magic sites.
These are plans I thought of one night while laying awake wondering how to make one. The illusion worked well for many years. Feedback about my plans are very positive. The plans are good for 1st time illusion builders.
Feel free to PM me about the plans ro other questions you might have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:55 pm 
Penguin

Back in my younger days this used to be one of my most treasured effects. But please do the rest of us a favor, will ya?

PLEASE---- Practice, practice, practice!

This is a great effect and a real reputation-maker. But if done poorly, it discredits us all and you have a reputation-breaker.

In another post, I saw a note written by a young man who was planning to be in his school's talent show. He only had a couple of weeks to prepapre and had planned on performing a trick which he expected in the mail "any day now." I cringed as I read his posting. Je is probably a fine young man with a great deal of promise, but he needs to perform routines with which he is comfortable. Too many illusions have been permanently ruined by people who think they are ready to perform the trick simply because they know the secret. That is like saying one is a master electrician since one can turn on a light. It just ain't so.

You have been trusted with a great illusion which has been performed by some of the greatest names in the world. Please treat it (as well as your career) with the respect that it deserves.