View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Big show this weekend
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Well it is our Church's annual Family Retreat and unlike last year where I did Gospel Magic, this year is just plain ol' fun magic, here is my lineup, some with patter some with music. These are not necessarily in the order I will be performing.

Snowstorm in China
Chen Lee Water Suspension
Dove Pan Production
Mak Magic's Milk and Water Transposition
Paper Hat Tear (for the kids) Along with the Wizards hat (Plunger for gag)
Comedy Funnel
Sucker Die Box (Deluxe Version, not sold here at Penguin)
Kovari Pom Pom Stick
MailBag Escape
Visible Sawing in Half
I have all the routines down, just figuring out what order to present, I suspect the Snowstorm, MailBag and Visible Sawing will be at the end. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:41 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Sounds like a great selection for a show. Nothing beats stage magic, take it from me. :wink: Good luck with it, and I hope you enjoy it, and it is a huge success. :)

Did you get a new mailbag escape? I thought I remember you saying the dog chewed a hole through it awhile back. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah the dog chewed a hole in it but I am sewing it up, not a big hole, but big enough to arouse suspicion from an audience of skeptics LOL. "Oh you had an extra key and put your arm thru the hole" Don't need that now do we?? :lol: Thanks Brad, I am looking forward to it, as many of the tricks these people have not seen before, at least by me. Also going to do a cut and restored rope routine (comedy) where I cut the rope 3 times, tie the knots and then have the knots pop off the rope rather than sliding. (Panama Rope Trick)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:28 pm 
born to perform.

Good Luck. Sounds like you are going to have a good weekend. And now you remember.... Have Fun :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:32 am 

fcchief,

I posted this once before somewhere else. I hope I can remember what I said. It is often said that if you give a man a fish he can eat for a day, but if teach him how to fish ... So, let's go fishing. Here is my strategy for developing any routine, regardless of whether it is close up or stage.

First, decide on a quick, strong opener to establish who and what you are. Usually, a quick, visual production goes over well.

Then decide on your strongest effect with which to close the show. Something big and visual that puts the final exclamation mark on your performance.

All of the effects in the middle must build towards the climax. So, rank each effect based on how strong it is from the spectator's perspective. This may depend on a variety of factors, such as whether a volunteer is needed, the degree of general audience participation, the overall connection the effect makes with the audience, and the type of effect itself. Structure your routine so each subsquent effect has a higher ranking.

Then analyze your routine for the mix of effects. Generally, magic effects can be grouped into various categories: production, vanish, transposition, transformation, penetration, prediction, levitation, animation. Make sure there is sufficient variety in your act.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:50 pm 
born to perform.

I really like the idea of using snowstorm as an opening. I think that is a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:32 am 
born to perform.

What is the Snowstorn in China?
-Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:52 am 
born to perform.

You've never heard of it? It is a classic effect. There are many versions. You take a peice of paper, rip it up, and wet it in water. Displsying a fan, you fan the hand with the wet paper, and slowly open it. Hundreds of peices of confetti fly through the air. Beutiful effect that is usually used as a closer, but would be great as an opener!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Well the show went great. Got a lot of "No Way". I closed with the Visible Sawing in Half. And did the Snowstorm just before that. I opened with having the Pastors son who just turned 18 come up and sit as I put the Wizards Hat (Plunger gag) on him. Everytime I pointed to him he was to say the magic word "Shazam". All in good fun. I also did one trick using the X-Pert, the penny appearing in someone elses back pocket. It floored everyone. All in all a really good show, the kids liked the candy (taffy) I produced from the Dove Pan. Thanks for the hints and tips.