View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Linking Rings
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:45 am 
Penguin

ok... i 've purchased the linking rings (not from here) but recieved instructions for the mini version. This, added to the fact that the routine was very... (the choice of word iam looking for is not considered politicaly correct for those above the age 10)....

anywho... anyone know where i may find a really good routine? i know, people may say i should design my own routine. But i wouldn't know where to start as iam bamboozled on the handling.

note: i don't wont to spend alot of money as my rings decided they'd be $100
(aussie style)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:46 am 
Penguin

12 inches...mmm....

(the rings that is)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:02 am 
Penguin

The routine that I'm currently playing with combines moves from both Jeff McBride's "Magic on Stage" vol.1 and Aldo Colombini's "Classics of Magic"

If I were to do it over again I'd probably look for a comedy routine, just my taste. Both the McBride and Colombini routines are routines that are done to music.

Phillip P.

"Fake it, till you make it!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:25 pm 
Penguin

i practised the rountine penguin does in their demo, and it was REALLY good.

(i suppose because it is the first actual rountine i've done)... gee i love the demo's... thats how i got my linking ring rountine!!!

i performed them surrounded, and nobody knew how it was done. everyone was asking (some pleading) to tell them how i did it. [i gove one a wink and said"meet me out back"]

does anyone else do linking rings..., if so, where is the correct place to perform them. i can think of two places,: on a stage and at kids parties.

keep in mind that i've got a 12" (the rings)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:46 pm 
born to perform.

A great, funny, and pretty easy routine is Whit Haydn's Comedy Four Ring routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:39 am 
Penguin

2 words: Jeff McBride

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:39 pm 
Penguin

i use [edited] zimmermans linking hula hoops routine. its such a great trick. its cheap and plays HUGE on stages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:28 am 
Penguin

Although I perform a version of the Harry Anderson 7 ring routine, I recommend the Whit Haydn 4 ring routine. The Haydn routine is easy to find and it's a very baffling routine. I'd recommend the Anderson routine, but I learned it from an old TV special - no good write-ups of the routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:53 am 
born to perform.

AlanMunro wrote:
Although I perform a version of the Harry Anderson 7 ring routine, I recommend the Whit Haydn 4 ring routine. The Haydn routine is easy to find and it's a very baffling routine. I'd recommend the Anderson routine, but I learned it from an old TV special - no good write-ups of the routine.

Not just baffling, but very funny. And you don't really have to tell jokes, or even be much of a comedian, to get a great reaction. It is your failure in the routine to follow what the volunteer is doing (which simply requires not watching while they do their thing) and simply being polite and being efusive in your praise when you do look at him, that gets good reactions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:29 am 

If you are just starting out, get the 25 tricks with Linking Rings video. It will teach you basic counts and moves that you can use in many additional routines.

Once you have the basics down, you should then move onto routines such as Dai Vernon's Symphony of Rings and David Ginn's Comedy Ring Routine. The reason I suggest these routines first is that they use a variety of intermediate and advanced moves and they use all of your rings in the routine. You probably don't want to have spent that much money on your rings just to have half of them sit on your shelf. At least this way, you know you have the ability to perform an 8 ring routine even if you should choose not to.

For those routines that use less than 8 rings, I would also highly recommend the Whit Hayden routine. He makes extremely effective use of the volunteer and it's just a blast to watch. Many of the performance ideas that he demonstrates in the video can be applied to almost any other ring routine you perform, so don't just focus on the moves. Look closely at Mr. Hayden's presentation style, patter and timing.

Post subject: linking rope
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:06 am 
Penguin

maybe u mst learn to lingkin rope irs good tricks too

Post subject: Internet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:21 pm 
Penguin

All i do is type in "Linking rings demo" on a search enguin and then watch the demo videos on numerous sites and take little bits from each and creat my own version from these!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:54 pm 
Penguin

I have been using the David Ginn Comedy Linking Ring routine for 30+ years. It is a great audience participation routine, has comedy and you get the "magic" of the rings linking and unlinking. It is a very versatile routine which I have performed in all kinds of settings from stage to banquets to birthday parties. It works equally well with adults and children. It is one of the workhorses of my routine.

Many of the routines that have been suggested in this thread are great routines, don't get me wrong. But in terms of versatility and ability to perform in all kinds of settings, the Ginn routine has it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:01 am 
born to perform.

The best linking rings routine I know of is McBride's Commando Routine on "McBride Magic on Stage Volume 1."