View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: --
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:11 pm 
Penguin

--

Last edited by Klesht on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:54 pm 

There are many stage effects to choose from that can be routined into a 5 to 10 minute segment. If you actually dissect Copperfield's illusions, the tricks themselves don't take very long to perform. But by the time he adds in the music and the dancers and all of the other stuff that gives real meaning to the illusion, you are at 5 minutes. It's what you put into the routine above and beyond the trick itself that will turn it into a true piece of meaningful entertainment.

Kent

Post subject: Re: Is there any one stage trick that can make a 5-10min sho
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:53 pm 
Penguin

Klesht wrote:
I am debating whether for the talent show in february at my school I want to make a video doing some street magic to kids in the halls and have that show or do an actual act on stage.

This show is in february so I have plunty of time to practice. The benefit to the video is if I do mess up I can always take that trick out. But after watching David Copperfield's slow-mo I really love stage magic, it's so cool.

What do you guys think? any tricks I can take a look at?

Hey Klesht,

To answer this.. I can say this to you. Take a trick you love.. and build a routine around it. Something simple. Talk to your audience. Use the tools of suspense and wonder. Any trick and do this right.

What is your strongest area of magic?

Cheers,

Dr. J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:17 am 
Penguin

---

Last edited by Klesht on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:28 am 
Penguin

I don't think you are understanding what I'm saying..

When I say talk to your audience I mean, make your art for them. Think of something they can relate to.. Talk TO them. If you do it right.. you could do colouring book for brain surgeons.

If you say you are very new, pick something based on your skill. And of course something you can afford.

Think less about the two thousand people at this talent contest, and more about making whatever you choose polished.

Cheers,

Dr. Jakes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:30 am 
Penguin

---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:42 am 

You may know how to "entertain", but enteraining on stage in front of 2000 people is completely different. The way you talk, how you handle a microphone, your body movements, music, the proper use of assistants, the proper way to pick a volunteer - all change when you are on stage.

Don't spend the time you have focusing on the trick. Spend the time on the details mentioned above instead in order to make your trick and presentation as effective and entertaining as possible.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:46 pm 
Penguin

---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:17 pm 

Your experience probably does give you more of an advantage than other magicians who have no stage experience whatsoever. However, the two entertainment forms are still quite different. I mean, could you imagine Jerry Seinfeld doing a Lance Burton style stage show? :shock:

Seriously though, if you have a comedic stage background, then draw upon that to determine whatever stage effect you want to perform. Make sure that the illusion lends itself to lots of comedy by play and turn the thing into one whole comedy skit rather than just a simple trick.

Something I would recommend is an item like the costume trunk. You have various trays of costumes in an otherwise empty trunk. A spectator picks one of the costumes and throws it into the trunk. The trunk is closed and immediately, an assistant appears wearing the chosen costume.

I did this at a school stage show once. The costumes were ladies evening gowns. The student picked one and tossed it in the trunk. A second later, the lid t the trunk swung up and up popped the 200 pound make principal of the school, dressed in the evening gown! It was absolutely hilarious.

Of course, you could have a lot of comedic by play with the spectator and the evening gowns before they are tossed in the trunk. The lead in to the trick itself will easily give you 6 to 7 minutes for the whole illusion.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:16 am 
Penguin

two words: murder inc. It can turn out to be a 15 min trick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:29 pm 
Penguin

doug Hennings Sand of Egypt is a good one for time stalling....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:55 pm 
Penguin

Try the 100' rope escape. See if you can get a copy of an old book, Magic Digest. It may be available in your public library. There is a whole chapter on this stunt. While it is not magic, it is a great escape for a large audience. I did it 30 years ago in a high school talent show and it brought down the house. You'll want good music to accompany when the volunteers are tying you up and different music during the escape portion. For the escape portion I would suggest the theme from 2001.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:45 pm 
Penguin

---

Last edited by Klesht on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:02 pm 
born to perform.

Eclipse??

One thing that I use for restaraunt and stage performances (I use an shortened version) is Francis Tabary's rope routine. His DVDs are sold here on Penguin, they teach the effect.

I performed a shortened version of the routine at a for the stage portion of a restaraunt gig I had last month. It brought down the house.

Here is is, I highly reccomend it. :
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=733

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:20 pm 
born to perform.

i think that you can make any trick into a 5 to 10 minute routine as long as you have good patter