View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Which is a Harder Art?
Dance 38%  38%  [ 12 ]
Magic 63%  63%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 32
 Post subject: Magic VS Dance
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:11 pm 
born to perform.

Ok so i have a good freind that i like to show my magic to. While talking to her the argument is often brought up about the fact that her art form (Dance) is far more sophisticated and more complex than my art (Magic). I dissagree with this and never really say much when she says that but recently we started a large argument over this when i stated the moves for a large effect were very intracate and complex. she then complained that magic is something anyone can do yet dance requires far more talent and skill. so basically we are at the point where were arguing about which is harder and requires more skill and practice. So what do you think? which of these performance arts requires more skill and is a more advanced art? Of course im not comparing close-up magic to a large ballet but the comparison of a large stage performance to a dance show. I look forward to hearing your opinions! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:20 pm 
born to perform.

What type of dance? That might have alot to do with it.

For instance I used to take Ballroom Dancing. It wasn't all that hard, just fluidity issues. I have since forgotten alot of it all except for basic Swing, but that's another story.

It also depends on what type of magic. Stage magic for instance has many complex things that mostly have to do with timing. The timing of a good stage act is like the timing of a good con or theft, it has to be exact. Then again, it also depends on what kind of stage magic we are talking about.

More information on what branch of dance and what branch of magic we are talking about would help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:34 pm 
Penguin

i would have to say stage magic is much more complex then dance. How often does a person performing dance have to interact with the audience? Magic is the combination of dance, acting, comedy, and improv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:09 pm 
born to perform.

Glamourboy wrote:
I would have to say stage magic is much more complex then dance. How often does a person performing dance have to interact with the audience? Magic is the combination of dance, acting, comedy, and improv

Actually one of the things in dance, at least professional competition, is to transfer emotional power to your audience. The audience has to "feel" the emotion and power in the performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:18 pm 
born to perform.

I would say magic is harder than dance becase in street magic you got to make shure that your slight of hand is good, you have to make shure you do not look fishy, you also have to act, and you have to manage the people.
And Stage Magic is harder Than dance becase you have to make shure the big illution is right and you got to make shure every little thing is done right. This is just my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:26 pm 
born to perform.

she was talking abou tap dancing and i was talking about large stage illusions to be a little more specific. but a huge diffence from dance is the fact that in magic you are alaways working to hide or mislead something in dance your simply moving openly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:44 pm 
born to perform.

Ya you are exatly right. In Dance you have nothing to hide and you can be free. But in Stage magic you have to Move big and free and try to hide something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:36 am 
Penguin

if u r as good as Copperfield,it makes no difference.because he is the best in magic and very good at dancing...but for intermediates,magic is harder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:21 am 

I think dance is much harder than stage magic. Much of stage magic (other than stage manipulation routines) involve intricate props that do most of the work. In many cases, the magician is simply the showman who displays the props and emphasizes the impossibility. Yes, there is acting (and perhaps even some dance) involved, but the technical physical demands are not that onerous.

Even when something difficult needs to be done on stage (like box jumping for instance), it is the assistant who handles most of it. The assistant does the work, and the magician gets the applause. Some well known illusions that illustrate this point are Zig Zag, Origami, Sawing in Half.

In contrast, the dancer does all of her own work on stage. The dancer faces a constant physical demand in his/her performance and there is nowhere to hide.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:57 pm 
Penguin

Magic has to pretty much perfect. If the secret is revealed, its not magic, if its not entertaining, its not magic. This is very rare in other artforms. Also, magic can involve lighting, sounc, assistants, and other aspects that all have to work together, whereas dance is pretty much matching moves with music. Anyway, this is a magic forum so the poll will obviously be a landslide. I think you will never be able to convince each other until you take up dance as much as she has or vice versa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:21 am 
Penguin

The fact of the matter is that it's hard to compare the two arts. The skills required are very different. Really...who cares what's more difficult? Art isn't really art, unless enough people appreciate it - and they show appreciation by paying to see it.

I will say this: The top dancers tend not to make what the top magicians make, if material success is any indicator.

They both work extremely hard to get to the top. Top magicians have business saavy and they had it early on.

But, at the lower levels dancers make more, if they dance around a brass pole. This is the most popular venue for dancers. Magicians tend to work parties or restaurants.

Last edited by AlanMunro on Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:22 pm 
born to perform.

But, at the lower levels dancers make more, if they dance around a brass pole. [/quote]

That settles it ! I'm adding a brass pole dance to my magic show immediately !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol :wink:

Post subject: yes but
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:43 pm 
born to perform.

Stage Magic is far more difficult in my oppinion, with this type of magic you have to do a lot of work concealing the props, surely the props/assistants can do the work, this is only takes a slight ammount of pressure off of the magician who has to patter and look convincing to the audience, he/she the magician is also in a room filled with people, some of whom are doing their best to out how he does his illusions, dancers are merely being watched and enjoyed, not having to worry about if they put their arm down to much the glass ball from the last act will make itself dramatically reappear and break all over the floor. Thats my two cents hope you enjoyed them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:50 pm 
born to perform.

You cant compare two totaly differents art ! Its all depend on how you persived(sp?) what your doing ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:47 pm 
born to perform.

Who cares? You do magic and tell her to dance to it. We can all get along. If you are a male and your friend is a female, STOP arguing. You're gonna lose. :lol:

Maybe you should argue about who enjoys their art form more.